New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Lacking red on monitor, 17 inch Game King 3902.  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Bmwsyc

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Bmwsyc New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Lacking red on monitor, 17 inch Game King 3902.
« on: September 02, 2023, 03:36:16 PM »
New to me machine, also new to Game Kings. Initially not working, found shorted wires between the isolation transformer and the monitor chassis, and a blown fuse in the isolation transformer. Everything is working now, but the screen is lacking or doesn’t have any red at all. Are there adjustment pots for color? I checked the connections from the monitor board to the 19 pin connector and took a brass brush to the pins.

Is there a trick I don’t know of, I couldn’t find any pots for color. Is it time for a new monitor or re caping?

Thanks!

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Lacking red on monitor, 17 inch Game King 3902.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 04:32:32 PM »
It would be helpful to know the make and model number of your monitor.  Many monitors have RGB driver and cutoff adjustment pots on the yoke board on the rear of the crt.  See if yours does.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 04:57:05 PM »
Moved to CRT and LCD repair
~moderator
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 05:35:56 PM »
Ceronix 1793, I looked again, I didn’t see anything obvious.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 05:42:27 PM »
You're a contributing member so you have access to the downloads.  There's some 1793 documentation that you can download that may be helpful.

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?action=downloads;cat=18

Offline Chris-socal

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...
  • Keep tinkering until it works!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 02:04:28 AM »
The 1793 appears to use similar electronics as the smaller 1492. Brightness and bias are electronically controlled, you won’t find individual color pots like other monitors. The gain pot on the remote board sets a baseline, an IC maintains that level as the tube ages. Its great…until it isn’t.

A single color going out could be one of the transistors in the color section of the board. Look at the 1793 manual, page 69. There is a schematic for the blue circuit, Red and Green are the same circuit design, one below the other on the circuit board. Use a diode tester to check the transistors in the red circuit, chances are one is shorted or open.

Secondly it could be a diode on the neck board, they should be labeled rgb. Easy to check those. It could also be one of the resistors burnt out.
More rare, it could be the red color gun is really weak and needs to be rejuvenated. But you usually some color.

It is important to do a close up visual inspection of the traces on the board. A cold solder joint on a transistor or on a ribbon cable could drop a color signal.

You can also send the board to one of a contributing shop. I know KLar services Ceronix monitors. But if the only issue is ine color missing it should be findable.

Good luck.

Chris

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2023, 09:57:21 AM »
Thanks, Chris. That was my impression when I read through the manual. Automatic control. I’ll take a look at those two spots and see. I’ll also check for bent pins off of the main board.

Offline Chris-socal

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...Chris-socal Might someday be someone...
  • Keep tinkering until it works!
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »
I looked at a pic of this board. Looks like color circuits are on the neck board. I highly suspect a transistor on in the red circuit. If you diode check them you will usually be able to find two of the 3 pins shorted using diode checker on multimeter.
There is a used board on eBay right now.

Chris

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 02:19:21 PM »
Thanks for your help, I have some direction now. I”lol check it out when I get home.

Thanks!

Offline Bmwsyc

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 05:26:23 PM »
Just an update, the red amplifier did look like it had been replaced at some point, the solder job looked different and the flux was not completely cleaned off. I cleaned up the socket pcb and the main monitor pcb and reassembled, no change. A transistor started arcing on the main pcb so I just ordered a set of boards off of eBay.

The monitor is working now, all colors are there, but everything is backwards and up side down. I have an idea what’s up, I’m going to check that later. The horz and vert deflection coil plug didn’t fit on the new board because the pins were different, so I modded the plug. I’m guessing I got the horz and vert flip flopped.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal