New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1987 IGT Double Bonus Poker Machine Help  (Read 14323 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: 1987 IGT Double Bonus Poker Machine Help
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 12:27:02 PM »
.....What would it take to change it to a Standard Draw Poker set If I wanted to that?

Possibly just changing one chip, the one on the board marked "GAME" or "GM0". The other socketed game chips are for the onscreen graphics (like images of playing cards) and those chips are often the same on a variety of different poker games. So hopefully you'd just have to remove the Game chip and insert a new one.

Some machines have the ability to do an extra-nice upgrade by removing the mpu board and installing a newer version mpu that would allow you to run what is called "Multi Poker". That game software has 5 different poker games, you easily select from the on-screen menu which of the 5 games you want to play. These "superboard" mpu's are available from different sources. But I don't know if that superboard would work in your machine. EDIT- not likely, since your machine is the older PE, not a PE+
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:59:59 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • BrianT New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 07:06:11 PM »
If you want a Standard Draw Poker you just replace the single chip at U58.  For Deuces wild you'd need to change out game chip, all 4 CG roms (with CG690) but there again none of the sets I've checked show a paytable either.  So far the only sets that I can verify that show the pay table is just standard poker.  And it shows only after the 1st coin is inserted and looks like the attached pics, with 1 coin and MAX coin showing 4000 coin bonus for full bet.

BrianT

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 07:33:48 PM »
I think I found the other NLG discussion thread started by Danger86 about this upright PE poker machine back when he owned it. It has lots of details asked and answered that are also coming up in this thread. One of the photos in that thread shows the idplate, it matches the idplate shown in this thread.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=7678.0

One of the things Danger86 asked about was not being able to display the game's paytable on screen. If you haven't already done so bohdi I'd recommend you read that thread completely and see if there is some useful info there.

The machine is a Player's Edge (non-plus model), this is the mpu shown in that thread for this machine. The 2nd photo is the same mpu with notes (thanks knagl!):
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:46:08 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 08:13:23 PM »
..... Also, still need to know if there is a way to adjust the sounds. Get the "music" tones when cashing out, but not when winning a hand. Speaker should be fine if it works on the payout. Just cannot stand the "click" "click" "click" when adds up your winning hand. used the jackpot key to change that, but the Tones it uses are more annoying than the clicking by far. Thanks again for all the help. Do some more checking tonight.

With that info I'd say your speaker and associated sound system is ok. You're hearing the sounds offered by that game software, you can't change the sounds to anything else without changing chips to a different game. Remember, this was back in 1986, IGT didn't put a lot of emphasis on elaborate game sounds then.

Offline bohdi

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • bohdi New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 09:40:47 AM »
For some reason, NOW, I am having trouble with my phone sending pics to my email so I can't upload them here. May be a moot point anyways. But I am going to keep trying. Screen said PK1069 with the jackpot key, and did not list a Paytable option. Still curious about some of the 'chips' etc on the MPU. Try and get those pics up when I can.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2015, 09:48:33 AM »
For some reason, NOW, I am having trouble with my phone sending pics to my email so I can't upload them here. May be a moot point anyways. But I am going to keep trying. Screen said PK1069 with the jackpot key, and did not list a Paytable option. Still curious about some of the 'chips' etc on the MPU. Try and get those pics up when I can.

The photo posted above is your mpu board, right? Here is another one of it with notes, was posted in the other thread about this machine. Which chips are you wondering about?

Offline bohdi

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • bohdi New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2015, 10:11:16 AM »

The photo posted above is your mpu board, right? Here is another one of it with notes, was posted in the other thread about this machine. Which chips are you wondering about?
Yes, I believe that is my MPU. Just curious about what I would maybe need to change if I wanted to switch over to a standard Jacks or Better Poker, or something else. Or, if it is possible to go to a Multi-Poker game even though it's as old as it is. I can live with it as is, just wondering what options I MAY have, and where do you get different "chips" , eproms etc. Just new to the Poker machine world an curious what you can do to them to make them more to your liking if possible.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
As BrianT said earlier you can change to some other video poker games by just replacing the GAME chip eprom, I think it is at board id U58, should be marked "GM0" or "GAME" on the board near the chip. It is the one near the battery circled in yellow in the photo. It doesn't have a label on your board, probably because it has been changed in the past and someone put in an eprom they made or had made. These game software files are commonly available on the MAME gaming websites, anyone can download them and make an eprom. You just carefully pry the old chip out and install the new chip. May have to then do a short setup on your machine the first time powering it up after a game change but it is easy.

For other games, especially ones like keno & slots, you may need to replace the associated software eproms (MR0, MG0, MB0, MX0) and sometimes the nearby Color Prom chip) that are located on the other part of the board. These are the graphics chips, they often work with several but not all GAME chips. These chips contain the info for the on-screen images like playing cards, keno board, etc and their colors. Some video poker games use a different design for their playing cards. So there are different graphics eproms. If you don't change these chips the game will usually run but may display some oddball looking colors or graphics. Doesn't hurt the machine, just your eyes.  :garfield:

The list of Player's Edge games is long, click here to see the excellent list BrianT put together:
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=2547.0

By matching the numbers on your graphics chips (the eproms with the labels) to the ones on this list you can see what games you could switch to by only replacing the GAME chip. If you have any specific questions about that just contact BrianT, he's a helpful guy and very well informed on the Player's Edge software.

Unfortunately I don't think you can install a Superboard in your machine so that you can get the Multi-Poker game set. I think the Superboard has a different type of board connectors that are made to slide into connectors mounted on a motherboard in a PE+ machine. Look at the photo below and see how your mpu board gets connected to the wiring in your machine. It has a couple of large wiring cables with plugs that connect to the connectors on your mpu board. The Superboard does it differently, it plugs into another circuit board called a motherboard. Your machine does not have this motherboard so the Superboard can't be installed. This was just the way the Player's Edge Plus (PE+) machines were built different from the Player's Edge (PE) non-plus machines. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong about this. I don't know if you can convert your PE machine to a PE+ by adding a motherboard and a Superboard, that would an interesting project and may be possible.

This is why some owners with machines like yours will buy a few extra mpu boards as they come along at a good price. They keep different game sets of chips in each mpu and can quickly swap mpu boards to change the game. But if you are going to just be changing one chip that probably isn't worth getting another mpu board. They make a ZIF socket that you can plug into your GAME chip socket, it lets you easily and safely swap eproms. If you do this be sure to get the right size ZIF socket, they are made in a wide range of sizes and widths. And it will add a little height to your mpu so make sure there is some headroom above it.

The blank eprom themselves are easily found everywhere like ebay, electronics stores and slot machine dealers. You or a friend can download the game software, then to load it into an eprom you use what is called an eprom burner or eprom programmer.

Here is one popular model, but there are dozens of different ones. You can find this same eprom programmer for sale on ebay and other places, new and used. Most low cost programmers connect to your computer and comes with software to operate it.
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4282
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 02:32:52 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »

BriantT's list shows PK1069 to be a Double Bonus Poker game, 99.1% payback, uses CG534 game roms and the CAP435 Color Attribute Prom. The 4 graphics roms are 27128 or equivalent eproms. Other video poker games on his list that use the same graphics roms are:

Standard Draw Poker, PK0719, 99.5% payback
Four of a Kind Bonus Poker, PK1030, 98.0% payback
(there are a few other versions of these 2 games that have a lower payback percentage)

Other poker games that would require swapping all the board eprom chips are:
Joker Poker
Deuces Wild Poker
Aces & Faces 4 of a Kind Poker

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2015, 02:46:24 PM »
bohdi has a Player's Edge (PE), not a Player's Edge Plus (PE+).  None of the multi-poker games will work on a PE. 

Also, for clarification, the PE MPU board is different from the standard PE+ MPU board, which also different from the PE+ superboard MPU.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2015, 09:18:42 PM »
bohdi has a Player's Edge (PE), not a Player's Edge Plus (PE+).  None of the multi-poker games will work on a PE. 

Can a PE be converted to a PE+ by adding the PE+ motherboard and a PE+ mpu, plus some wiring cables, or is there more to it than that? The machines are so similar I was wondering if a conversion could be done for a reasonable amount of effort and cost.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 02:32:05 PM »
The short answer to that is, no.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 02:49:06 PM »
The short answer to that is, no.
ok, thanks.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal