New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: TECH: IGT S+ Slot Help  (Read 7040 times)

Offline Betelgeuse

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Betelgeuse New User has no influence.
  • NLG
TECH: IGT S+ Slot Help
« on: February 05, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »
   I picked up my favorite slot, Triple Diamond, at an auction recently.  I would love to get it working to run on tokens.  I have had a pachislo machine for years and had a lot of fun with that.  This seems like a natural upgrade.  Unfortunately, the Triple Diamond seems to boot up, but that's as far as I get. 
From what I can tell, I think this is an S+ type machine.  When I first powered it on, I got an error code 3100 on the winner paid display.  After testing the hopper, reels and sound succesfully, I figured out that the door optos were bad, so I managed to jumper those for a 'door closed' signal.  I was then able to clear the error code.
Now the machine seems to boot up normally.  It spins the reels for a few seconds when I power it on, but then it just displays a blinking 5 in the 'coins played' window and nothing else.  It seems like at some point the machine was converted to the players card system and the dmd on the front of that system says 'swipe players card'.  The coin comparitor was in the bottom of the cabinet and there are two wires (yellow & black) that go nowhere sticking out where the comparitor goes on the door.  No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the machine to credit up.  I've tried cycling through the cash/credit options in the menu.  If I plug in the comparitor and drop a coin through, nothing happens.  If I drop a coin through the opto without the comparitor in, I get an error code 21 (coin chute jam).  The machine also has a bill validator on it, but if I put anything in there, it scans it for a while and then just stops.   
So, that's where I am at.  I am a total noob when it comes to these vegas slots.  I have been collecting pinball machines for years, so I have some general tech skills, but I can't even figure out what 90% of the stuff is in the reset key and test menus.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Is this thing actually even in attract mode when it displays the blinking 5?  After a week of messing with it, I am fresh out of ideas.

Thanks for any help!

Brian

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:29:31 PM by Betelgeuse »

Offline Harvs

• Think!, While it's still legal...
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: TECH: IGT S+ Slot Help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 05:41:41 AM »
Welcome to NLG Betelgeuse!  :cool_thumb_up:

Just curious how you figured the optos to be bad and how did you bypass/jumper them? A picture of the machines comparitor 'loose wires' and that area in general could come in handy.

The S+ gurus will fix ya up!  :yes:

Offline Betelgeuse

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:01:46 AM »
There was a youtube video I saw that showed how to test the door optos using the menu system.  The display says '10  0' when the door is open and when it's closed the 0 will pulse rapidly between 0/1.  I also found information from a different source on how to bypass the optos and it worked on the first shot.  It's just a jumper wire that goes from one lead on the molex connector for each opto, purple on the door and red on the cabinet.  I'll try to get some pics of all of this tonight.  Thanks!

Brian

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:51:29 AM »
for information purpose it would be helpful to know what chips are in the machine!  SP and SS numbers, take the board out and look at them or get to test #4 in the diagnostics, this information on home page, Rick's FAQ.

Since the machine saw the coin going through the optics and gave you a 21 code is good. there is a small white test button on the optic board(where you dropped the coin through). if you push it and you can put a credit on the machine, then , you should be able to play the machine, if you can do this, then the only problem you have is with the coin comparator and wiring harness.  the black and yellow wires are the power for the cc-16 (24vac) this is only present when the door is closed and the game is ready to play, (the red or green LED would be on ).

Depending on how you want to proceed and how available parts would be, here is one way to use coins and not worry about powering up the cc.  on the optic board, (depending what type you have) there are surface mounted devices, the optics themselves are labeled Q-1 ,Q-2 and Q-3, DO NOT REMOVE ANY OF THESE, however there is a Transistor labeled Q-2 on some boards and Q-4 on other types, remove this transistor. Now if you put a sample coin in the cc and install it where it belongs, you should be able to drop coins through the outside of the machine , and it should work as advertised.

If you want to power the cc-16, there is a 6 pin connector that is used for that purpose, pin 1 is on top, it is jumped to pin 3 (red wire)  pin two has a violet wire, pin 4 is yellow wire, pin 5 - no connection, pin-6 is the black wire.

Hope this helps

Jim 

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Betelgeuse

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »
Thanks so much for the info, Jim!  If only I had known about that little white button on the coin optics.  That's all it took to get it working!  I was so close.  I got a big win about 5 spins in, so now I have a bunch of credits to play with.   Now it's time to clean this machine up, get new door optics, get a new transformer for the florescents and look into the credit options you mentioned.  Awesome!

:thank_you:

Brian

Offline Harvs

• Think!, While it's still legal...
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!Harvs Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 04:19:25 PM »
 :cool_thumb_up: 

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »
Thanks so much for the info, Jim!  If only I had known about that little white button on the coin optics.  That's all it took to get it working!  I was so close.  I got a big win about 5 spins in, so now I have a bunch of credits to play with.

Brian,

To be clear here, that white button is a "pseudo coin" button used for testing.  It will add a service coin to the machine when you press it, and you can play in a test mode with the door open.  As soon as you close the door, those service credits will vanish.  So, yes, it's working in its test mode for you, but we'd ideally like to get it back to its fully functional state.

Yes, you should get a set of working door optics, as you'll want those to use the machine normally.  I'm really not a fan of bypassing the door optics on an S+.  The fact that the bill validator is enabled and trying to accept a bill is a good thing.  For testing purposes, please use only a $1 bill in good condition.  Is that $1 bill still rejected every time?  Does the "Insert Coin" lamp on the reel glass flash by chance when the machine seems to be "thinking" about accepting the bill?

You stated that "nothing happens" if the comparator is in place and you drop a coin through it.  Can you elaborate on that?  Since you have bypassed the door optics and have managed to get the machine to think the door is "closed", can you tell us if the LED on the coin comparator comes on when the door is "closed"?  Is there a sample coin in the comparator?  When you drop a coin in, exactly what happens (does it fall through to the tray, or to the hopper but no credit is given, or what?)?

The flashing 5 in the Coins Played window can be okay if you have a 5-coin machine.  Depending on the SP chip in use, the number in the Coins Played window will flash after a power-up and/or door open and close cycle, until the next paid game is completed.

Some pictures of your machine, especially any modifications or wires hanging out like you mentioned would be helpful so we can help you determine if you have all of the components you need.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Betelgeuse

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »
Thanks, Jim!   I am actually pretty happy with how the machine is working now, even though it may not be correct.  It's easy for me to get hundreds of credits with the test button and play the game for hours just leaving it in the 'door open' state.  Everything seems to still work normally.  Prior to this I didn't even know you could run the machine without the coin functions working, so this might be even better for me.  It's just a novelty for my wife and I to play around with.  I managed to get the lights working by replacing the starters for the fluorescents, put LEDs in the buttons and cleaned the machine up to a high shine.  All is good!   Thanks again for the help. 

Brian 

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Yes, you should be thankful to Jim. He is a blessing to us all. However, knagl BOTHERED to take the time and type a nice. lengthy reply to you and the issues you were having, and you dont even mention it???? If you'd like to actually FIX your machine, then I would suggest BOTHER to read his post and actually follow his suggestions.

Sorry, just didnt sit right with me, to see just because you got the reels to spin, it was all good. I mean, don't you actually want to FIX the machine so that you can operate it normally?
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline Betelgeuse

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »
Wow, good to see I'm making friends fast on this forum.  Yes, my last post should have been a thank you to knagl.  That was a simple mistake and I was indeed replying to knagl's post.  THANK YOU, KNAGL!  I'm not pissing away the information that was shared, I'm just not acting on it at this moment.  I didn't want to just go silent and have everyone think I was ignoring them. 

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 10:28:52 PM »
No offense taken at all.  Jim is indeed amazing with his slot knowledge.   :yes:

Thanks for having my back, Roz!  False alarm, though -- it was just an oversight in Brian's post.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:50:20 PM »
No offense taken at all.  Jim is indeed amazing with his slot knowledge.   :yes:

Thanks for having my back, Roz!  False alarm, though -- it was just an oversight in Brian's post.

Ok, im decomoressing now.....breathe, breathe, breathe! You know I'm here for you guys, and I will (well almost) fight to the death for you!

No offense meant to the OP, I just hate to see good advice skimmed over and a game half-assed. Who wants to play a game with the door open all the time, that's not why you bought it!
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline Betelgeuse

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:58:44 AM »
Whew, glad that's cleared up.  :D

Anyway, I'm not playing with the door open.  The machine always thinks the door is open unless I jumper the door optics.  So I'm playing the machine like normal, just with credits instead of tokens.  Since this was setup for $1 chips, I'm pretty sure I'd need a different hopper at a minimum to get it running on tokens.  For now, I'm happy running it on credits.  I've found other posts since where people were doing the same thing, even setting up their fully working machines to run this way intentionally.   

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal