New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1978 Jennings skill stop slot machine - Do you know anything about this thing?  (Read 11389 times)

Offline Jasonmichael

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Jasonmichael New User has no influence.
  • I have the slot sickness...
Hi all:

I bought this machine on CL a couple of weeks ago not working.  I work on IGT stuff but figured, for the price, it'd be a good way to get into some older stuff.  I somehow managed to get it working (though it still needs to be oiled and for a new candle to be installed) - there's a video here:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZzBdJ_YQY
-  The fix was despite a nearly absolute lack of information on the web (searched high and low and didn't ever find even one of these in a "skill stop" version even mentioned anywhere).  Really, the fact that it is working now, is more of a miracle than a testament to any skill...  I was able to find a manual for a Jennings 400 which looks just like this machine without the "skill stop" feature.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these machines.  Whether I can change out the "skill stop" and convert to a regular machine, what the value (range for condition) might be, how many of them they made, et cetera...

I'm hoping to get the 24 volt light bulbs that go in to light up the coin in, call attendant, prize lines, et cetera, as well. Again, any info would be great!

YOU TUBE VIDEO LINK: 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZzBdJ_YQY

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide - even leads would be great!

Thanks!

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
if it was a  arcade used game its going to payout over 100% don't get too deep in it  its worth about the same as a jap slot we had some had hard time selling those , jenning were a lot of trouble

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
Hi all:

I bought this machine on CL a couple of weeks ago not working.  I work on IGT stuff but figured, for the price, it'd be a good way to get into some older stuff.  I somehow managed to get it working (though it still needs to be oiled and for a new candle to be installed) - there's a video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZzBdJ_YQY -  The fix was despite a nearly absolute lack of information on the web (searched high and low and didn't ever find even one of these in a "skill stop" version even mentioned anywhere).  Really, the fact that it is working now, is more of a miracle than a testament to any skill...  I was able to find a manual for a Jennings 400 which looks just like this machine without the "skill stop" feature.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about these machines.  Whether I can change out the "skill stop" and convert to a regular machine, what the value (range for condition) might be, how many of them they made, et cetera...

I'm hoping to get the 24 volt light bulbs that go in to light up the coin in, call attendant, prize lines, et cetera, as well. Again, any info would be great!

YOU TUBE VIDEO LINK:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZZzBdJ_YQY

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide - even leads would be great!

Thanks!

The 24 volt lamps are easy to find.

Don't waste time trying to remove the skill stop feature, I am sure the board has been heavily modified.

Would love to see some pictures of the inside of the machine, especially of the main computer board and the power supply behind the hopper.

Of the 4 we have gotten into the shop over the past years I have only been able to get 2 to work.

We have some old, blurry, schematics to work with and without board extenders I need to solder a wire onto a test point then attach it to my scope lead in order to take a reading. Then un-solder it and solder it onto the next test point.

I have devised a way to replace the power supply with a newer one and how to eliminate the battery but your machine appears to be working beyond those problems.

My motto is "works fine, lasts a long time, don't f**k with it".
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline Jasonmichael

Thanks for the notes!  Here are a bunch of pictures for you. 

Please let me know where I can get those 24v bulbs - I need to order about 25 of them and am eager to get this up to 100%!

Also, any thoughts on value?  Sounds like it may not be anywhere near what I was hoping - but it must be at least a couple hundred bucks...no?

Thanks!

Offline Jasonmichael

A few more pics including one of a small toggle switch located just behind the leftmost reel on the board - any idea what this is for?

Offline Jasonmichael

Also, if you're looking for a clearer schematic, you can download the original J400 book, including schematics, free at this site:   http://www.jenningsslots.com/

Offline CommTech

• Joe
  • Sr NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • CommTech New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Vary interesting machine!  I never knew Jennings made a Skill Stop machine.  Thank you for sharing!  :1:

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
I think they were after market skill stops we had a few we got from nj shore  they payout 100% + not much fun

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
Also, if you're looking for a clearer schematic, you can download the original J400 book, including schematics, free at this site:   http://www.jenningsslots.com/

Nice manual but no schematics.

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
A few more pics including one of a small toggle switch located just behind the leftmost reel on the board - any idea what this is for?

You own the machine, why not flip the switch and see what it does?

Offline Jasonmichael

I did think about that but didn't want to mess anything up now that the machine is working...so I thought I'd ask...

How about a source on those 24v bulbs?

And did you get what you needed from the photos?  Need any more?

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
The photos were fine, as I suspected the board was heavily modified.

When I get back to the shop I'll look up the lamp part number, I know the number is 3 digits, just don't remember it off the top of my head.

Offline Jasonmichael

Great.  Thank you!

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
Out of curiosity are all of the lamps missing?

If they are I can't believe one of those metal tabs that contacts the back of the lamps hasn't shorted to the PC trace.

All of the lamps may have been removed to support the skill stop feature?

Are all of the lamps dead, did you try an Ohm meter on them?

Offline Jasonmichael

I believe they're all missing.  As part of my testing I bent the connectors back from each of the spots and checked the circuits, all of which were good.  It did not work until after I did this, which, I suppose, is to be expected. 

Offline Jasonmichael

Did you find that light bulb info for me?  I'm eager to get these bulbs ordered and installed.  Thanks!

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
Agggh! I'll write myself a note.

Got hung up with a 5500 Pro Slot board that randomly resets and 5 boxes of 4 card rack boards that needed to be stripped for parts plus 2 service calls.

Offline Jasonmichael

Clearly a busy man!  I appreciate the help!

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I think it's great the way it is. That's the kind of skill stop I'm much rather have...nice METAL and not plastic! Hope you will leave it as it is. Thanks for posting. I had never seen one of these either.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
Clearly a busy man!  I appreciate the help!

The lamps are #387 and are 28 Volt.

Sorry again for the brain fart yesterday.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal