New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Aristocrat Atlas-Esprit Repair - IC5  (Read 1891 times)

Offline RemieSmith

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • RemieSmith New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Aristocrat Atlas-Esprit Repair - IC5
« on: February 03, 2020, 09:32:59 AM »
Hey All;

I have an aristocrat esprit (not working). I need help from another owner. Can anyone tell me the type of IC on the Mezzanine board IC5? I can't read the chip type on my MPU board.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 08:38:59 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Re: Re: Aristocrat Atlas-Esprit Repair
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »
The mezzanine board converts the main board from the original 2708 EPROMs to 2716. Since all the chip selects have to be decoded to new addresses, I am pretty sure that IC5 is a 74LS138.

Offline Op-Bell

• Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 02:07:16 PM »
Someone called Michael sent me an email about an Esprit Gold Mine from a "do not reply" email address. If you read this, please try again.

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply. The 74LS138 makes perfect sense.

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 12:05:19 PM »
Does anyone have ERPOMS or the HEX files for an esprit? Mine is a 5 reel 3 line payout wild west edition? It not booting and I think I've checked everything is working. The machine rarely starts up anf gets partially through the boot sequence. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate the advice.

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
I have the hex files for the ROMs for this one. Also the fully disassembled and mostly commented code. Finding and programming 2716s these days, though ... that would be a trick.
Now the problem with this game was that the RAM was bad, resulting in it getting caught by a check routine immediately after startup. The RAM is a pair of 5101 1k CMOS RAMs - 256 by 4. I fudged up a replacement using a 6264 (8kx8) chip that has the essential high and low chip selects and off it went.

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 07:42:02 AM »
Op-Bell
Thank you for the reply. Any files and information you can share would be greatly appreciated.  I will try to contact you directly. The static RAM suggestion sounds like something I could investigate. How did you figure out being stuck in the startup sequence? Do you have a 6802 in circuit emulator?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:11:59 AM by RemieSmith »

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 10:02:35 AM »
Remie, I got your PM, but NLG sent it from a DO NOT REPLY address. Please send again, and this time include your email in the text so I can reply.
No, I don't have a 6802 ICE. I detected the lockup location by scoping the address lines.

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
OP-Bell I sent you my email address in a message.

Offline PinWizard

• PinWizard New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 01:26:40 PM »
Hi Op-Bell,

this was me !
You can try to answer me to  nutellamann@live.de
I don't know the reason, why my account on web.de doesn't work...

Regards,

Michael

Offline Op-Bell

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 02:33:36 PM »
If you send me an email through New Life Games, it comes from this address:DO_NOT_REPLY@newlifegames.com via jaguar.websitewelcome.comI don't mind getting emails, keep 'em coming. But always include your own email address in the message, otherwise you won't get a reply.

Offline PinWizard

• PinWizard New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 12:59:31 AM »
Okay.
I forgot to enter my eMail-Address....

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 11:07:29 AM »
OP-Bell

I want to thank you for your information, it was extremely helpful. Using the Assembly code you provided I have been able to verify CA2 onPIA_1A  (6821 pin 39 IC-5) and CA2  PIA_2A (6821 pin 39 IC-7) are both pulsing low on a power reset. This indicates to me that the MPU is correctly restarting and executing the firmware. That's a major step forward, thank you. The next start-up test is the RAM check (starting line 556 LDX #extram), if the RAM check fails the code jumps back to restart, causing the CA2 to reset sequence to repeat. This all make perfect sense. 

However, currently my problems continues. I replaced both static RAM 5101 chips, I purchased replacements on EBAY. After I replaced the chips I still have the same issue. I have reordered another two RAM chips since I have now broken a leg on one chip..

You also mentioned rigging up chips other than 5101 static RAMS, any information you provide about that will be helpful.

Thanks

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 02:49:17 PM »
I bought a second set of static RAM 5101 chips on EBAY and replace them now my machine boots.  :applause:

The reels seem to home properly and the door open lamp is illuminated (The door is open),  the insert coin lamp is lighted and none of the LED digits are displayed. I am getting a TILT light. Any suggestions???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 12:49:32 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2020, 12:41:16 PM »
Another update on my repair, I have made progress. I swapped around the PIA chips (6821) and found one of my chips was dead and a second have a bent over pin. After swapping those chips the machine now boot up with a Tilt lamp and the three light tower is flashing once per second, all the LED digit displays are blank. I have been monitoring PIA1 (IC5) IRQA and realized it is firing. The service Mode 2 to diagnose the reel optics is not working.

Here's the weird part after boot up if I wait about two minutes the frequency of the IRQA pulses increases. If I then turn the jackpot reset key twice the machine enters into a strange diagnostic mode. Here;s what it does: 1) The large 4 digit display starts at zero and increments about once per second. The three digit payout display shows "000", the Lines played LEDS displays "003". The handle solenoid then releases and I can pull the handle to start a game. The reels spin and then lock as normal and the  payout window shows the number of coins won (but not a correct winning combination). The handle then releases again and I can play another game. This continues until the large 4 digit display reached "9998" then to whole thing stops. The machine won't accept coins and doesn't payout from the hopper.

If anyone has some insight into this I would appreciate it.  :EmoticonHelp4:

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 04:55:42 PM »
Remie, I got your PM, but NLG sent it from a DO NOT REPLY address. Please send again, and this time include your email in the text so I can reply.

Hi Pete
When you get the e mail from the "do not reply" address, you click the link which directs you to the NLG message system where you can reply to the sender. Basically it's just a notification that you have mail on NLG, but it does give you the text of the message sent.
Hope that helps.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 05:48:11 AM »
This is an update to my last repair. entry. After reviewing the firmware listing I now believe my esprit automatically sets the "TILT" indicator on power up. After power-up and waiting two minutes toggling the reset key on the side put the machine into ready mode. I believe I have dignosed why my credits was incrementing non stop until 9998. The coin accept circuit has a top and bottom optical sensor which is supposed to detect the coin dropping in, triggering sensor one then senor two. I don't think that was working on my unit, instead I believe I was getting a "Stringer Error" (detecting a coin with a string attached that was then pulled out). I looked at the coin switches and found only the top one was triggering. I them check the infrared optic sensors and found one of the IR LEDs was not illuminating (You can check IR sources using your cell phone camera, the camera will shift the IR to visible light). I have attached a photo of the diode, note the bottom one is not illuminated. The LEDS are type LED IR 3mm CQY58.

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 06:20:15 AM »
All, OK another repair update. In a prior post I reported my machine was playing games and crediting wins but the symbols on the reels didn't match the winning combinations, perplexing... In desperation I removed the reels and swapped reel positions (e.g. Reel 5 to Reel 1, Reel 4 to reel 2, Reel 2 to Reel 4 and Reel 1 to Reel 5).  Now the winnings match the symbol combinations  :applause: . I guess somewhere along the line someone had accidentally swapped them. 

I still waiting for the replacement LED to fix the coin acceptor, it shipped from France.

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 08:24:57 AM »
Ok, it been a while but I can report I now have my slot machine 100% working. I will use this post to highlight the coin hopper repair. A first my coin hopper was seized up and would not turn in any direction. I disassembled it, cleaned parts,  reassembled it. The hopper would then eject a number of coins then jam as a coin went under the ejector bracket (see https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtXG9xfzTHrgYPNi6 ).  This had me stuck for a couple days. Finally I would the clearance between the ejector bracket and the spinning coin wheel was too much. I had to bend the bracket in a vice using a hammer (yes banging it) until I got the clearance between the bracket and the wheel to be very tight (see image). I also included pictures of the test rig I had for the hopper. The test wiring was plugged into 120VAC outlet.

Offline RemieSmith

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 09:40:39 AM »
OK, this is my final entry (I think). My machine had a runaway coin accept circuit. It would register coins even when none were inserted. I turned out to be a problem with the NAND GATE I wanted to share the problems/fixes for the coin accept circuit. I manually blocked the IR light path and checked the SW pins on the connector.  I replaced one of the TIL 149 detectors and the HEF 4093 NAND gate. See attached circuit diagram and images.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal