New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Does the touch screen detach from the monitor assembly on my Alpha?  (Read 2236 times)

Offline slotdoofus

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
I'm cleaning up my recently acquired Bally Alpha, (Monte Carlo Royale).

There appears to be dirt, (smoke film) behind the touch screen on the right hand side of the monitor. Most of this is in the lower right corner, as seen in the pic.

I've cleaned the monitor assembly the best I can, but was wondering if the monitor and touch screen can be pulled out of the sheet metal housing.

This appears to me dirt, but I guess it could also be a sign that my monitor is on its' way out.

Offline kforeman

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • kforeman New User has no influence.
  • Slot Techin since 2002
Re: Does the touch screen detach from the monitor assembly on my Alpha?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »
yep you can pull the touch screen off and clean it up inside; it's truly amazing how much dust and nicotine residue gets inside these alpha top box monitors.  :vomit:  a heat gun or hair dryer will help loosen the adhesive on the tape and an exacto knife or razor blade is handy for cutting through the adhesive and cleaning up residual adhesive on the LCD and touch screen once off.  pay attention to which side of the touch screen faces out...it's rather frustrating to take the time to nicely install a touch screen just to find out you have to start over again once you put it in the game.  :banghead: :banghead:

it's not too difficult to remove/install a touch screen on most monitors, LCD or CRT.  take your time and plan on getting a bit messy as the tape adhesive can be a PITA  :yes:

best of luck!!

Offline slotdoofus

• slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.slotdoofus Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 11:17:51 AM »
Thanks kforeman,

I'm pretty good at pinball restoration...figured cleaning up a slot machine shouldn't be too bad.

Is there a trick to getting the monitor/touch screen out of the sheet metal housing? I removed the side mounting brackets, removed to 2 screws on each side, but the monitor wouldn't come out of the housing.

Is there a particular double-sided tape I should use for the re-install?

The discoloration looks to be dust/nicotine.  This machine is really cleaning up nicely. I definitely want to clean up that touch screen area.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
You need to be really careful when removing the touchscreen glass.  The sensor grid on the glass is extremely fragile and if you scratch or damage the array, you will have dead spots on your glass.  Also on the left side of the monitor, the touchscreen cable (a flat gold colored ribbon cable) is attached to the glass, DO NOT REMOVE IT!  Like kforman said, take your time and be very careful not to scratch either the glass or the lcd panel under it.  Once cleaned up, you will be very happy, but I cannot stress the care that you need to take not to scratch the glass or damage the touchscreen sensor array.  To replace the glass, I used the 3m double sided sticky tape that cut length wise to closely match the width of the original 2 sided tape. Then I applied black electrical tape between over the glass and around the edges to mimic the previous seal.  Here's a thread of what I did to put it back together.  I didn't take photos of the procedure I used to remove the glass, but what kforman explains, is what I did.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=829.msg18823#msg18823
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline slotdoofus

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:12:15 PM »
Thanks for the help guys...Hopefully, I won't damage anything.

That dirt/nicotine between the monito and touch screen is driving me nuts. The rest of the machine, overall, is pretty clean.

Offline Jimise

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...Jimise Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:08:45 PM »
I have a bally monitor like yours with the nicotine build up.
I need to try this as well.
I've had success doing this with a wms kristal monitor, should be about the same procedure.
Good luck!
Thanks for the help guys...Hopefully, I won't damage anything.

That dirt/nicotine between the monito and touch screen is driving me nuts. The rest of the machine, overall, is pretty clean.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal