New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Empty "U18" 28 Pin Socket on IGT S-Plus MPU Board  (Read 1817 times)

Offline twinfire

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • twinfire New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Empty "U18" 28 Pin Socket on IGT S-Plus MPU Board
« on: November 16, 2023, 04:35:56 PM »
Hi all new here and new to the IGT S-Plus machines!

I was given two of these machines that don’t work. The guy I got them from had got them from someone else also for free. These machines have been neglected for many years and were stored in a shed with no doors and leaking roof, so very dirty, rust, and rat turds,  :Tongue_Out: but that’s only on the outside, the insides are very clean.

When I got them home I blew them off with compressed air, plugged in the one called “Five Times Pay” and the lights all lit up, but that’s about it. I tinkered around with it a little and decided to do some research before I ruined it completely. I learned about the fuses & battery which all checked out ok. I did pull the large MPU out and upon inspecting it I noticed an empty 28 pin socket! Not sure if there needs to be something there or not?

Anyway, I think I need to find out about this first before I go any further troubleshooting.

I believe this could be a nice addition to a man cave if I can get it all polished up and working again.

Thanks for any info you can share.

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Empty "U18" 28 Pin Socket on IGT S-Plus MPU Board
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 04:54:53 PM »
It's not needed for home use.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 05:02:18 PM »
Check the power connector on the motherboard.  It's notorious for getting hot and causing oxidation that results in a bad connection and the machine appears dead except for the florescent lamps. 

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 06:43:40 PM »
This is great news!

Thanks for that info RB & Tilt, appreciate it.

The power connector on the motherboard looks fine & is clean.

I have continued on & so far when first plugged in and the inside power switch turned on the DBV cycles 8 times. The fluorescent lights for the glass are on, the 25 cent light next to the coin slot is on, the winner paid window is showing the code 12 and the top candle is flashing both lights: top slowly, bottom flashing fast.

Pressing the white test button next to the power switch for a few seconds turns off the 12 code and it is replaced with 0 and the coins played window now shows a 3. The Spin Reel button lights up & the pull handle releases, everything else remains the same including the flashing top candle.

When closing & latching the front door everything remains the same. Pressing the Spin Reels button or pulling the handle at this point does nothing. 

That said, what are on now is the fluorescent lights for the glass, the top candle flashing back & forth, the 25 cent light next to the coin slot, the Spin Reels button lit up, the winner paid window is showing 0, the coins played window displays a 3 & the pull handle is still released.

At this point I don’t want to just start pressing buttons and trying different things until I ask here first.

What might my next step be?     

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 06:50:01 PM »
The code 12 is a low battery.  Replace the battery on the MPU board and then you will get a 61 error.  Follow the instructions in this guide where is says "Initializing the new game" and you should be good to go.  I recommend using a Tadiran brand battery.  I've seen too many of those other cheap ones leak after a few years and destroy the MPU and motherboard.

http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/gamechange.htm

Offline off-track

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • off-track New User barely matters.off-track New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 08:57:40 PM »
The power connector on the motherboard looks fine & is clean.   

+1 on the battery as Tilt says.

Just to be clear.. when you power it on do the reels stiffen or can you move them freely by hand without feeling resistance to rotation?

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 10:32:02 PM »
Ok, new batt put in, turned it on and the 61 code!

Pressed the white test button and heard the bell sound along with the 61_1 code.

Closed the door, latched it & turned the jackpot reset, the error code went away… but then a few seconds later the 61 code came back and won’t go away now?  :wtf:

Yes "off-track" the reels are stiff

Does this mean it needs to be cleared now?  :ill:

If so, what do I need and how?  :Scratch-Head:

Thanks again all !!

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 10:55:21 PM »
Try it again and if it comes back then you're stuck in the 61 - 61-1 loop and will need to clear it to fix the problem.  Sometimes it happens, most of the time it doesn't .  Not sure why.  Anyways, you'll need a clear chip and Set chip so you can set the machine's denomination and enable the bill validator when you're done.  Send a PM to member RB, he probably has everything you need to do that.

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 07:11:37 PM »
Ok “Tilt”, so I shut the machine down, pulled the MPU, removed all the plug-in chips, made sure all wire harness connectors were clean and tight and just looked over everything in general prior to putting things back together. Fired it up and same scenario, 61 code, press white test button & get the ding along with the 61_1 code. Close & latch door, momentarily turn jackpot reset then bam, 61_1 disappears! Unfortunately, that was short lived because the 61 reappeared again and won’t go away.

Oh well, like you said, best to give it another try & see what happens.

Also, form the pictures I previously uploaded can you tell if the correct game & reel chips are installed for this machine?

I’ll take your advice now and shoot RB a PM.

Thanks again for everything!

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 08:03:06 PM »
Yep, it's stuck in the loop.  Clearing it should fix that, but it will also return all the machine settings to default, so you'll probably want to make some changes when you get it back up and running again.

Yes those are the correct game and reel chips.  Your reel chip is 90%, you may want one that pays better than that.  If so, contact RB for that as well.  You can see the reel chip paybacks for your machine here:

http://www.newlifegames.net/igtbible/IGT%202CM/Game%20Library%20-%20S-Plus%20-%20Five%20Times%20Pay%20(2%20Coin%20Multiplier).htm

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2023, 09:49:38 PM »
Ordered the clear & set chips through RB.

I’ll update here once I receive & use them, hopefully it will get me closer to getting this old girl functioning again!  ;D

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »
Just an update on my putzing around:

I have not received the clear/set chips yet, but for shits & giggles I took the mother board out of my other IGT S-Plus machine “MOOLAH” & put it inside the “FIVE TIMES PAY” machine along with the “FIVE TIMES PAY” MPU. Turned it on and everything lit up, BV did its cycling & zero lit up in the coins played window. I closed the door & the zero switched to a 2, the reels turned & the hopper cycled.

The 61 code never appeared this time? I think this is a good thing, yes?  :Scratch-Head:

After everything cycled a 3300 starts flashing in the winner paid window with the number 2 in the coins paid window flashing as well, the candle on top flashing back & forth too.

The machine seems to be stuck here now, any suggestions?

Offline a69mopar

• Global NLG Site Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 83
  • a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.a69mopar Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
    • www.gtaslots.com
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 04:05:08 PM »
3300 is hopper empty.  add coins for it to complete it's payout. If it has enough coins, but doesn't spit them out, there could be a coin jammed under the coin knife or other issues.

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 05:26:01 PM »
Lol… Didn’t know that!  :lol:
Thanks for the tip, machine seems to be working just fine now!!!  :yourock:
Just need the set chip now for the BV, hopefully it will end up working too!

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2023, 09:38:26 PM »
Well I got the chips in from member “RB” thanks again Ron; they showed up sooner than expected.  :thank_you:

Unfortunately after running the set chip the BV does not work. The face where you put the bills does not even light up.

It does however cycle through a few times when machine is turned on. If you look inside the slot where you put in the bills you can see what looks like red laser lights. Trying to insert a bill does nothing, shows no sign of life. All connections look to be good and I even unplugged them all & reseated them to no avail.

If anyone has suggestions I am all ears,

Thank you.

Also, I have been working on getting my other IGT S-Plus “Moolah” machine working (pic below).

I have just purchased a complete MPU board including game & reel chips from member “Jim”, can’t wait to receive that and get this “Moolah” machine working as well.

I will start another thread on that machine once the board comes in to let you know my progress on it.

Thanks again everyone for all the help!

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2023, 10:06:51 PM »
So you ran the clear chip, got out of the 61-1 loop, then used the set chip to set the denomination and enable the validator, but the validator isn't working still.  Is that correct?  The machine is playable with coins, but not the validator?

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »
Hi Tilt,
Yes, that is exactly what I did.

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 11:18:10 AM »
… oh and the machine plays just fine with coins.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 11:23:05 AM »
OK good.  When you enabled the validator did you also set a denomination?  Here's instructions for using the SET chip.

http://www.newlifegames.net/spset/dbv.htm

Offline twinfire

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2023, 11:28:22 AM »
Yes, in fact I did it twice just to make sure. Set it to 25.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal