New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Igt S Plus Blowing 6 amp fuse  (Read 1429 times)

Offline freds

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • freds New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Igt S Plus Blowing 6 amp fuse
« on: December 22, 2023, 11:40:54 AM »
Hi Fellow members,
I have an S+ that is blowing the 6amp 24 volt line fuse. I have been troubleshooting and have gotten it down to when the molex plug behind the hopper is disconnected it won't blow. It does come up with code 3200 after that. I have connected the molex connector then disconnect wires to the 5 pin I believe triac. I have also disconnected the molex wires and it still blows the fuse. I have looked over the wires themselves and everything checks out. Looked over everything for loose coins or any metal objects. Motherboard is clean and power connector is clean with no burns. I have also looked at handle lockout and power supply for anything that could cause a problem. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Igt S Plus Blowing 6 amp fuse
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 11:45:16 AM »
Did something fall inside that slot on the right side of the power supply box?
Pull out the wall plug before going in there.
There's a screw just above where the 115vac plugs into it.
That Philips screw holds the cover.

Did you write that "7" and "6" with a blue marker on the Molex housing?
That's a 15-pin, 3-row Molex housing but only uses 6 pins.
#1 Red
#2 ---
#3 Orange
#4 ---
#5 Doubled Green
#6 ---
#7 Gray w/Red Stripe
#8 Gray w/Purple Stripe
#9 ---
#10 Yellow
#11 ---
#12 ---
#13 ---
#14 ---
#15 ---
Show me the colors going into the back of it on yours?.
It should look like this below.

Click on photo to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 12:11:37 PM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 01:21:29 PM »
Hi  Stayouttadabunker

Those markings were already there. It is in the middle of a pay. I took an image and the wires look the same. I pulled the power supply out and saw nothing.

Offline twinfire

• Reputation Power: 7
  • twinfire New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 02:54:32 PM »
Hey freds,

Thought I’d jump in & try to help.

This may or may not help you, but I opened my machines to get a picture of the wiring, both are S-Plus machines, one 1994, other 1996.

It’s hard to tell from your picture the color of the wires, but the wire on the top right of the hopper receptacle on the picture you provided looks like it could be white with a red stripe? I’ve put yellow arrows pointing to the wire in question.

The attached pictures I have uploaded are showing the wiring on the SSR & the hopper receptacle. Both of my machines are wired identical. The wire on the top right of the hopper receptacle on mine is white with a yellow stripe & the bottom right is white with a red stripe.

Hope these pictures will help with the troubleshooting.

GOOD LUCK!

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 02:58:29 PM »
Yep...good catch twinfire.
White w/Red Stripe is for 115vac...it should on the bottom pin of the beau plug going to the hopper and the yellow one moved to the top.
That's why he keeps blowing fuses. lol

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 03:26:56 PM »
I think the picture looked deceptive. I pulled the beau plug out and photographed and it's wired the same. The SSR wires match as well.

Offline twinfire

• Reputation Power: 7
  • twinfire New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 03:54:14 PM »
The only thing at this point I can think would cause this would be there is something wrong with the SSR provided the wiring has no chafes anywhere that could be shorting.

If you unplug the connector going to the hopper & the SSR with the hopper removed from the machine & no short, but then you plug the connector back together with the hopper still removed from the machine & it shorts, then I would think there must be something wrong with the SSR, or the tiny bit of wiring between the connector & the hopper receptacle/SSR.

Now, if it shorts with the hopper installed, then I would suspect a hopper problem.

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 04:41:53 PM »
Yes I did try that. I removed the hopper and disconnected the beau plug and the SSR also. If the connector was connected the fuse would blow. I will take a closer look tomorrow and
repost if anything changes. I think I may have to continuity check every wire at this point.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 04:48:38 PM »
You see the way you took that picture?
That's perfect!  :applause:
That's the way you show the colors of the wires going into the back of a connector housing from now on.

For Your Information the SSR ( Solid State Relay) is that red plastic box ( sometimes black plastic ) on the left side of the beau plug.
The MPU sends signals to it to switch ON/OFF the separate 115VAC for the hopper motor.
The 115VAC is routed to the hopper beau plug on the bottom two pins.
That's the same two pins I attach a power cord and light bar to bench test hoppers.
Hee's an old video I made...>>>

« Last Edit: December 24, 2023, 09:37:25 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 05:16:38 PM »
Is it possible to test the SSR in circuit ? I disconnected the SSR while I had the molex connected and it still blew the fuse. I will double check that again tomorrow.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 08:32:53 PM »
if you disconnected the SSR, it had nothing to do with the fuse blowing....something else has a short.
If there's no black foam under the motherboard, I'd pull out the motherboard and check undeneath it.
Follow the smell with your nose...something is burning out or touching.
 :burningresistor:

Using a multimeter set for continuity, and the SSR out of circuit,  the bottom two pins for the 115 VAC should be open.
I'm not near a machine...I'd check for you.
The fuse blows if the Molex is disconnected right?
That tells you the problem is elsewhere....I'd pull that power supply box right outta there too and flip it upside down....something is shorting somewhere.
Check the pins under the MPU too...two pins might be folded and touching.
On the back of the power supply too, disconnect the two small 3-pin Molex's that go to the twisted wires for the fluorescent lighting and see if the fuse blows....at least you're checking the 115VAC lines. Keep the fluorescents unplugged for now until we figure out the short.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 08:56:18 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2023, 04:37:04 AM »
Thanks Stayouttadabunker,
I will do those checks this morning. The fuse only blows if the molex is connected. If it's disconnected the fuse does not blow and I get the code 3200.

Update : I disconnected the fluorescent connectors on the back of the power supply. I installed a new fuse and powered up. It finished the pay. I put a coin in and the fuse blew again. It is back to the same pattern again now even with the lights disconnected. If the molex is connected the fuse blows. I will check those other items.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 05:10:51 AM by freds »

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2023, 07:09:24 AM »
Okay...Something's not right AFTER that Molex then....better have a bunch of fuses!
The MPU is stuck in a state of telling the SSR to open so it can send the other power (115VAC) to the hopper motor to finish paying out.
Because the hopper isn't paying out coins by a certain amount of time - the MPU sends out the [3200] code.
[3200] means "Coin Out Tilt"...a jammed coin in the hopper bowl.
I agree that the hopper isn't really the problem but I would check it out anyways...it's easy to emove the bowl to see if anything's jammed.
Since you've determined the wires in that beau plug area are correct, the problem is narrowed down to a short within the SSR relay box.

Holidays are here, I don't know how fast you can get another one to replace the questionable one?

Because you disconnected them, the fluorescents aren't the problem.
I'm confused now...how did the machine finish the pay without the hopper plugged in?
The fuse burned out just by inserting a coin without playing the bet?

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2023, 07:36:24 AM »
Yea no sorry. In this one instance after doing some checks I reconnected the molex with the hopper installed and replaced the fuse and it finished the pay. I inserted the coin and it blew the fuse again without playing the game. It is now back to doing what it did before. If I connect the molex on power up it blows the fuse. I took the beau plug and SSR out with wires to the molex and checked over every wire for continuity and everything checked out. I decided to remove the fuse and checked the voltage at the fuse connector with the molex connected and measured 13 volts. With the molex disconnected I measured 27 volts. I don't know if that helps. Right now I am back to if the molex is disconnected everything  comes up and shows code 3200. If I connect the molex the fuse blows. I did look under the mpu and all was good. I also disconnected the SSR and it still blew the fuse. Doesn't that rule the SSR out ?

Update: If I disconnect J10 from the motherboard with the molex connected the fuse does not blow.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 10:11:45 AM by freds »

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2023, 10:46:33 AM »
Pulling the J10 plug is the same thing as pulling out the molex that goes to the SSR and hopper Beau plug.
Below is a drawing of the mobo.

Click on photo to enlarge is needed...>>>

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2023, 10:49:54 AM »
Yes I did not no if it had anymore relevance.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2023, 11:12:06 AM »
"Right now I am back to if the molex is disconnected everything  comes up and shows code 3200."

That tells us the machine did not finish paying out credits.
It can't finish, because the fuse blows all the time, if you plug in the Molex for the SS an beau plug.
When you unplug it, nothing blows....but you cannot pay out any wins.

Something is mis-wired and shorted.
Only way to solve this is to start snapping clear, high-resolution photos - like you did in Reply #5, and hopefully someone will spot the poblem.

Just to help, here's a drawing of the hopper beau plug.
The bottom two pins, as you can see, is for the 115 VAC hopper motor.

Click on drawing below to enlarge if needed...>>>
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 11:31:47 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline Badbaud

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2023, 11:31:13 AM »
completely remove the backplane board and see if there is a coin or two underneath it.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 12:55:02 PM »
I will upload all I have. If I missed something let me know.

Offline freds

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2023, 01:06:59 PM »
More

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal