New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: No Video - IGT I-Game? Maybe Game King?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline TehPhreak

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • TehPhreak New User has no influence.
  • NLG
No Video - IGT I-Game? Maybe Game King?
« on: October 01, 2023, 10:25:11 AM »
Long time reader, first time poster. Thank you in advance.

I have an IGT Cleopatra machine. Circa 2003 or so. Model number is 96432700. I have no idea beyond that. It has a 19" screen LCD screen. I have attached a photo.

Machine has run great for many years, even with the TiTo and ticket printer. I have two different MPU boards (one for Cleo, one for MultiGame). I always just swap out the personality chip at U4 on the mainboard backplane, keychip (Key 40) and I can switch between the two.

Been a while since I fired it up, so I changed both batteries on both of the MPU's (coin type) with fresh ones and re-seated all the chips to be sure. Turn it on, and no video. no test colors, nada. With either MPU.

All amber lights on the MPU. Oddly, right after powering up it will make the "tilt" noise and that goes away when I turn the attendant key but still nothing on-screen. Normally I would not see that until after the full screen color test (red, green, blue, yellow, purple, etc.) The light is on the board atop the LCD, but pressing the menu, sel, up, down or auto scale buttons do nothing.

In the past, I thought I had done some troubleshooting by running a standard VGA cable out of the video card behind the screen (Kortek KT-LS17E8)and I would get a signal to the external monitor. Nothing. Verified I was getting 12VDC to the video card.I can faintly see the backlight coming on the monitor but its hard to tell.

My question is does this sound like a video card issue, some other issue or is it perhaps an inverter issue? I am leaning away from inverter because I cannot get a signal to an external monitor (which I think I should be able to do, right?)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 08:40:43 PM by Tilt »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: No Video - IGT I-Game? Maybe Game King?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 11:04:59 AM »
It's a 17" monitor.  The reason you're hearing the alarm is because after you change the battery you'll get a RAM error message, but you can't see it because the monitor isn't working.  Just FYI, you don't need to change them until the machine tells you "Main Battery Low".   To display the machines video on an external monitor you'd need to connect the external monitor to the cable that plugs into the back of your LCD.  The connector on the A/D board on your LCD is a input, not an output. You won't get anything if you plug the external monitor into it.  If you have a laptop with a VGA output it's easy to connect the laptop up to the machines monitor and see if a signal is displayed or not.  Inverter boards are a pretty common failure item on these monitors.  My bet would be on it being bad.

Offline TehPhreak

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 11:30:45 AM »
I think perhaps this picture would give a little better idea of what I am dealing with.
The only VGA connector I have is the one coming out of the cabinet and I have no way to send a signal to the monitor for testing...

There is another connector on that board that is a male DB15. What is that for? Is this just an A/D converter? If that was the case, perhaps I can give it some input from a male-male DB15

Offline TehPhreak

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 11:51:52 AM »
Well, another update. Found a 15-pin gender bender and hooked the cable coming from the cabinet and it (sorta) worked.

That board behind the monitor must just be an A/D converter.

Getting a display now, but a constant RAM error that will not go away. But that is another matter.....

I guess I will have to wait until the room is pitch black and turn the machine on to see if the LCD backlight is working. At that point, I could probably say its the A/D board, right?

Touch screen is working, but its a real challenge to coordinate your fingers to an external monitor... LOL

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 01:34:30 PM »
Yes, the board in your picture is the A/D board.  The DVI and other VGA connector are probably additional monitor inputs would be my guess.  I doubt the A/D board is bad, I think you'll find that the inverter board is based on my experience working with them. 

When the alarm goes off and the machine shows RAM error turn the jackpot reset key on the side of the machines a few times and follow the instructions on the screen.  When it clears and the game boots you'll get a message saying Options verification required.  Touch the OK box and it should go away and the machine will be ready for play.

Offline TehPhreak

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 08:42:54 PM »
Thanks everybody. I am going to try and find an inverter.

Just FYI, I was experimenting doing further testing and the DVI connector on that board is another input, just like the female DB15 VGA.. the third male DB15 is an output.. plugged an external monitor into it and it worked just fine, while the main input from the machine was plugged into where it normally goes..

Offline TehPhreak

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 03:42:19 PM »
Inverter fixed the issue... Now two differnet MPU's with different games showing just scrambled video. Another topic I guess.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 03:57:46 PM »
Glad the monitor is working again.  Feel free to start another topic for the other problems.  Please post pics of the scrambled video if you do.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal