New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally EM Hopper Question - First Time Owner  (Read 5263 times)

Offline VinceK

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • VinceK New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally EM Hopper Question - First Time Owner
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:15:06 PM »
Hi NLG EM pros,

I have a pair of E Series machines, but just came across my first EM machine (1019).  This machine had been sitting for some time, but using the old EM forum posts the machine is now working.  (What a great source of information.)  It was a whole new learning curve from the E Series machines.

My question is regarding the hopper.  The machine has been paying so far correctly, however the hopper runs for a short period of time on each pull.  From about the time the first reel stops until the third reel stops I can hear the hopper turning and quarters tumbling.  It does not pay anything out during this time.  The hopper then stops, and about a second later pays out correctly on winning combinations.

Is this normal?  It would seem strange to me that they would create all of the extra wear on the hopper motor.  So, although I thought I got them all, I am assuming that I have one more switch or connection to clean.  Has anyone seen this before?

Attached are a couple pictures.

Offline rdaniel

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • rdaniel New User barely matters.rdaniel New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Re: Bally EM Hopper Question - First Time Owner
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »
I am by no means an expert on Bally EM's, however, I have a Bally 831 JPO and the hopper coin disk periodically mixes the coins on its own. My understand that this is done in order to keep the coins  from jamming up the hopper during a payout

This might apply to your machine as well.

Offline The Fatman

• Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 06:59:09 AM »
Rdaniel has it right and the reason for it is correct as well. I wondered just like you if that would cause excessive wear. But after seeing the age of these machines, and the shape of the majority of the ones I have seen, I dont see any resulting damage to the motor or connected parts due to that. I see this on most JPO machines and Continental machines too. I have had one that was a JPO machine and it didnt mix the coins every pull, and the coins did pile up at the entry point on the hopper. There is a need for that feature I feel and would not try to disable it.
Nice looking machine.  :cool_thumb_up:
Dave
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline VinceK

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  If this is normal for some machines to mix the coins on every pull then I will leave it as it is.  All that is left if a little more clean up, and then move it into the game room.

Thanks for your help.

Vincent

Offline The Fatman

• Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »
I have not seen any other machines other than the JPO machines with the mixing of the hopper on every pull. I do see that your machine is a 3 coin max play machine and it is not a JPO machine. Either this newer model 1000 series machines has it on all machines or it is possible to have a hopper from a JPO machine in this one. I do see the need for it in a 5 or 6 coin machine that doesnt have the smaller pays to keep the coins from piling up in the hopper. This might be a question for Oldreno to chime in on. A lot more experience on these than I do.  :I_agree_1:
Dave
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:58:34 PM »
I've seen poker machines where the hopper turns on each play. They were made by Bally Distribution Co, which is what Si Redd's company was called before it became IGT, and I guess it was done to give some appearance of activity in a machine with no moving parts. The hopper motor gets turned on, but not the kicker solenoid, so it runs without paying out. I've never heard of it before on a Bally EM, nor have I ever seen it mentioned in any of the manuals, so I suspect what you have there is an experiment, an after-mod. Look for an extra relay tacked onto the hopper somewhere that only connects to the motor.

I suppose it really is a standard EM, and not a Summit rework?

Offline Thompy

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Thompy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:56:28 AM »
Hi all,

I have a Bally Bonus Line, it has a mixer relay on the hopper as well, it is not JPO but has a very low percentage payout. :nlg-logo:
It takes a special person to appreciate the M - therockinelvis

Offline VinceK

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 06:35:20 PM »
In regards to Op-Bell's question on whether it is a standard EM or Summit rework:  since I am not familiar with the Summit reworks, I have added pictures of the reels and hopper to help identify.

On the hopper for both the motor and the kicker solenoid there is a green wire and black wire.  There is one main coil (on top close to the motor) that has a bunch of switches, and this closes the circuits going to both green wires on two different switches.  Underneath the hopper bowl there are two coils.  One of them has two switches.  There is a blue and white wire going from one of these switches to just one of the green wires.  I am assuming that this is what is powering the motor for the mix.

Since this machine pays on the cherries about every 6th or 7th pull I don't know that we need the mix.  Could I potentially hurt anything by disconnecting the blue and white wire?

Offline Op-Bell

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.Op-Bell Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:25:04 PM »
Thanks Vince, I appreciate the pictures. This is not a Summit conversion. I'm pretty sure the extra relay on the hopper is an after-market mod, and it won't do any harm or change the operation at all if you disconnect it. Make a drawing first showing where the wires go that you disconnect, in case you need to put them back for some reason.

Offline VinceK

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
Disconnecting the blue and white wire did the trick, no more mixing.  Thanks everyone for your help.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »
Like Thompy my Arrow Line 8 coin game and sister to the Bonus Line, has a mixer in it as well.  I thought that the machine was defective and used the mixing as a point of negotiation to get the price lowered from the seller.  When I found out that the condition was normal I felt kind of bad.  Enjoy your new Bally

Ra

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal