New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1088 - after large jackpot, the payout safety timer engages - how to reset?  (Read 1157 times)

Offline DrewMcAvon

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • DrewMcAvon New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I have a nickel 1088.  Work well after cleaning and replacing a few coils.  I was testing and hit 3 Bars, the hopper paid out for about 15 seconds and then machine Tilted.  I believe it is supposed to do this.  I reset using the button behind the hopper, but when I hit the next winner, the bell continuously rang for about 15 sec and another tilt.  No coins dispensed and hopper motor did not engage.  I inspected the payout counter next to the hopper for lose wires, but did not find any.  Is there something I need to reset on the payout counter?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
It could be the safety cut off timer bottom left of machine.
The timer dial might need to have more time added or there’s something preventing it to complete the cycle.
Could be a coin lodge in there somewhere.
Also there should be a metal slide bar that enables a reset from the front of the machine.
Safety cut off time prevents the hopper from continually running if something in the machine malfunction.
Causing the hopper to continuously run until empty.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
the bell on the base model 1088 rings on BAR-BAR-BAR and needs the payout relay to power.

if the payout relay powers but the hopper doesn't turn on, you have an odd problem because two redundant switches on the payout relay with white and white/blue wires on them directly turn on the hopper/payout motor.

the safety timeout should only do it's thing if the microswitch on the payout counter ratchet isn't closing periodically, which happens every few steps of the payout counter unit.  The miscroswitch is called the "ratchet cam sw" on the schematic in the 120V circuit

if you have a 1088-something, the wiring for the bell could be different.

anyway, verify the payout counter reset and the payout relay under the hopper is powering when you have a winner.  If they are and the hopper motor isn't running, jiggle the hopper to see if you have a flaky plug connection.

once you get the game spitting out coins, you can deal with why the safety circuit is triggering.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Payout relay as described by Wolftalk may need attention.
The contacts with the white/blue wires should be investigated. This is the 110 volt circuit that runs the hopper.

The 1088 has two bell wires, one for jackpots and the other for symbols.
These are green / white. Usually the symbol wire is just capped off.
As the bell gets annoying after awhile.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
Thank you both, I can get the machine reset somehow and it works ok until I hit a large winner.  Perhaps I have some dirty contacts or gunk on the payout wheel.  I will investigate further and post update.  Thanks

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
Check the payout step up unit. It might be sluggish.
Manually step it up as in a large payout, then manually release it.
It should spring back quickly.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
Thank you David Lee, a few questions.  To manually step up the payout counter, do I reach behind the right side of the hopper and push the Step-up plunger?

Second, if the wheel is sluggish, do you recommend removing and cleaning or spring adjustment?  I will be able to spend time on it later tonight and post pictures.  Thanks in advance.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
you can reach the step-up plunger on the payout counter, but it's probably easier to remove the top bolt, loosen the bottom one, and flip the payout counter down [oops ... wrong cabinet style.  The payout counter is mounted in the cabinet] so you can see the ratchet side and get to the reset plunger easily ... and the microswitch that is running on the edge of the ratchet.

if you hold in the payout counter reset plunger, you can use your finger to spin the main wipers and let go to check for sticking.

if the wipers are resetting sluggishly, clean the contact plate and if necessary the ratchet and torsion spring.  Don't lubricate the ratchet.  Don't add tension to the spring as it may prevent the counter from stepping up all the way.  The torsion spring should have enough tension to reset the wipers from the smallest payout - probably 2 - but not a lot more than that.

david is right on the bell circuit for a lot of 1088 models, but the base 1088 only rings the bell for jackpot (bar-bar-bar).  If your bell rings at other times, you have a different version of the 1088. 

for the safety timeout, the usual problem is the 30mfd 250V capacitor is shot.  Could also be the diode (which you can replace with a 1N4004 or 1N4007).  What's supposed to happen is:
1] reels stop on a win and payout relay powers
2] safety timer motor turns on.  If it's on long enough, the game will shut down
3] as the payout counter steps up, the microswitch on the payout ratchet edge occasionally closes and powers the delay relay and capacitor.  While the delay relay is powered, the safety timer motor is turned off
4] if the cap discharges, the delay relay loses power and the safety motor turns back on.

the idea is to detect if the payout counter isn't stepping and turn off the hopper before it dumps out all the coins :-)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 04:26:52 PM by wolftalk »

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
Right Wolftalk,

You can depress the reset coil plunger. Its a little hard to reach. A short dowel rod or pencil will work.
Just need to be careful with the associated wires.
With the plunger depressed you can turn the ratchet wheel back, 180° should be significant.
After releasing the wheel take note of the cam stop switch to the left.
It should have engaged the switch and pushed the contact blade up.
If this is the fact, then the unit appears to be okay.
Repeat this maneuver a few times just to be sure.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
I must not have the 1088 Basic since the bell rings even on payout of 2.  Also, the payout wheel is on a sled that I can unscrew and move. see pictures.  I will see how easily the wheel resets and report back.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
oops.  That cabinet style.  I shoulda looked before yakking about flipping down the payout counter.

for bell ringing on all pays, they sometimes just jumpered the white/green 45 wire to the red 10-2 wire on a terminal strip.

you have the model/serial plate on the cabinet below the handle?  That would have the full model number, and it may even be how the game left the factory ... maybe.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
The top line of plate just says 1088. The second line say 1088-76

I just inspected the payout counter. With the power off I stepped up by pressing the plunger and then pressed the reset plunger.  The ratchet cam did not go all the way back to starting position.  So appears something needs adjustment or not lubricated.  Any suggestions?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:14:30 PM by DrewMcAvon »

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
the black tracks on the trace side should be cleaned off.  Denatured alcohol and a green scrub pad will do it, or 0000 synthetic steel wool.  Any mild abrasive that doesn't leave scratches.

I usually just take the unit apart and clean the ratchet as well, but if you want to minimize effort, it's still easier if you remove the three e-clips and take off the outboard wiper carriage.  I'd also remove the torsion spring and clean the crud off it.  When reinstalling, two turns of tension with wipers are reset position, and add a quarter turn if wipers not resetting from 2 steps up.

that may be enough to get the wipers resetting without stalling, but if not with a bit more work you can take out the ratchet and clean it and the hole it goes thru.  Usually you can remove one screw from the switch stack, loosen the other and pivot the switches up to create clearance to remove the ratchet without taking the stack off.

if the wipers still drag after cleaning everything, a really thin smear of lubricant on the contact plate will help, but may attract dirt or gum up faster than running with the contact plate dry.

nice pics btw.  I'm swiping them and adding to http://bingo.cdyn.com/slots/1088/.  You can find the schematic and other paperwork there.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
Thanks,  I need to pickup some cleaning supplies.  I appreciate the detailed instructions.  When I get it working I will send picture of closed door to add to the folder.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
It works!  I cleaned the marks on the trace side with qtips with some mineral spirits.  Didn’t have to do any other cleaning.  It now snaps back once stepped up.  I will mark this resolved.  Thank you for your help.  Picture of clean trace side and full front of 1088 attached. 

While playing i hit jackpot (bar,bar,bar) and it only paid out 1 coin but bell rang for 15 seconds or so.  I will open another post for that.  The machine pays out most other winnings correctly.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
pictures added, thanks!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal