New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1088 Win Meter shows wonky numbers  (Read 931 times)

Offline DrewMcAvon

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • DrewMcAvon New User has no influence.
  • NLG
1088 Win Meter shows wonky numbers
« on: January 24, 2021, 03:28:31 PM »
My 1088 nickel machine is working, but sometimes the win meter shows strange numbers and it happens on a non winning combination.  also, once i do get a winner, the numbers in first, second, third position stay and the correct winning number is shown in right most places, then on the next play the meter resets to 0000.  This is not a critical issue, just wanted to fix. Thanks in advance  See picture.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: 1088 Win Meter shows wonky numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 10:18:07 PM »
If the meter has a wiring diagram printed on it.
It would be possible to hot wire it directly.
This would eliminate the meter if it worked okay.

Most likely there’s a orange wire and two other wires.
One for advancing and the other for reset.
If they’re not mark, disconnect one then observe what happens to determine which wire does what.
Jumping from a active common yellow should advance or reset the meter.
Please post a photo of the meter case inside the machine prior to testing.
As to get some verification and opinions on the above mentioned.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 09:00:00 AM »
davidlee's info sounds good.  The meter is 50V, and

common wire is orange wire 70.
step-up is black/green wire 84
reset is grey/brown wire 96

jumper wire 30 briefly to 84 or 96 to step/reset the thing.

step-up is a pulse from the same place as the payout counter, reset is single pulse from reel mech B-1.

I don't think I've seen this style of meter.  Hopefully you can open the case and see what's inside ... and post pics :-)   

sounds like your meter is resetting and stepping up ok, but however the reset works is leaving the 10's+ digits loose and able to wander on the shaft from game vibration.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 10:53:25 AM »
This is the part that has a weak point in the counter design.
After a couple of hundred thousand coins or so it separates.

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 12:54:14 PM »
See pictures of win meter from inside.  Is it ok the dismantle the meter and inspect the parts posted by DavidLee?

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 02:26:06 PM »
The part I posted is from a coin in meter, your meter may very.
If the meter is constructed in such a matter that it can be disassembled.
A possible fix could be in order.
If the teeth are wore down, it might be possible to exchange it with the last digit.
Or if its an armature, it could possibly fixed.

Or just leave it as it could be more work than it is worth.
Your call, would like to see photos of what makes it tick if you disassemble.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 10:32:04 AM »
david, is your pic from a meter that only counts up?

the bally part number for the resetting win meter I think is E-664-5 - impulse counter and plug assembly

I'd try and take the thing apart just to see how it works :-)   If that breaks it, there's always the "piece of black tape over the window" fix until a working one can be found.

when the meter resets, do the numbers all spin up thru 9999 and roll over to 0000?

there is a payout counter "open at zero" switch in the circuit with wires 30 and 78-1 on the blades.  If that switch isn't opening reliably when the payout counter is reset, you may hear the payout counter reset coil fire and the meter reset would be powered even though it's already at 0000.  If the issue is more of a brief arc/voltage blip, that may produce an aborted meter reset sequence?

Offline DrewMcAvon

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 01:58:59 PM »
I am a curious as you to take it apart, but I am hesitant because if you guys are curious, then I know I am most likely in over my head.

To answer your question wolftalk, the counter does not spin up to 9999 and turn over to 0000.  When the numbers read 7608, for example, and I win 2, the 8 changes to a 2, the 760 stays and it pays out 2.  Then when I pull the handle on next play, it resets to 0000.  Odd.  I think there is a loose wheel or broken gear inside since the picture I showed has the numbers not exactly lined up.

I think I will leave it alone as having it not work at all will bother me more.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 02:27:14 PM »
sorry, I meant when it was resetting do the numbers move to 9999 then 0000.

if you've had a car with a mechanical mileage meter below the odometer, the two main styles were:

1] turn a knob to cause the numbers to spin.  A number wheel didn't move until the rest caught up to that digit
2] push in a button, which sometimes causes all the wheels to move independently and they could reach 0 at different times

if you want to try an experiment, reset the meter on a pull after a win and disconnect the grey brown wire from the meter.  The meter will increment on wins still, but if the higher digits don't move incorrectly then you know the problem is electrical in the reset circuit.  If the higher digits still move incorrectly, the issue is mechanical inside the meter.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »
Yes, the meter I have only counts up.

The meter you have will reset back to 0000 on the next pull of the handle.
If your not up to dissecting the meter no problem.
One of these days I’ll come across one and open it up.
Even when there working the count isn’t accurate 100% of the time.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 03:29:21 PM »
A few years back I got a machine missing the meter.
So I built one from a digital counter kit with the capabilities to count up and reset.
It was a lot of work and reconfiguring. Plus wiring and dealing with the counters low voltage operation.
Looks okay, but would not do it again unless the price is right.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal