New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: I dream of jeanie board or shorting issue Display's NETPLEX link is down  (Read 777 times)

Offline armyaviation

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • armyaviation New User has no influence.
  • NLG
so frustrated, bought this gold can i dream of jeanie for $100.  The board was beautiful, but it was getting a low battery error even after new battery and clear.  i sent it to a buddy to rebuild, when i got it back it ran for a couple weeks then got a low battery error followed by a Display's NETPLEX link is down error and wont boot.  It was cold in garage and we thought maybe power supply had a bad cap so i hit it with hairdryer and it started and no more error.  days later i went out to garage and fired it up, didnt start at all.  the power supply clicked and i smelled something burnt.  freaked out and then troubleshooted that it was actually a bad ballast for the belly light.  unplugged ballast and power supply boots but now i have the Display's NETPLEX link is down error again, swapped with a known good power supply and no change.  any clue what could be causing this?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 08:43:28 PM by armyaviation »

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 184
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: I dream of jeanie board or shorting issue
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 07:59:08 PM »
1270 or 500 series?
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 08:23:41 PM »
its a 500 series. 

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 08:28:52 PM »
With the power OFF, slide out the MPU, place in good lighting, and take a high resolution photo of the green Varta battery area.
We need to LOOK  :sherlock: at that area.
Also, show us the battery install.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 07:51:47 AM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
Re: I dream of jeanie board or shorting issue Display's NETPLEX link is down
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 09:38:33 PM »
what i did tonight, i swapped from my working parts machine, the power supply, the vfd control board and ribbon, cleared and keyed, unplugged printer and dba still says display netplex link is down and eventually no disp.  i had to resize the pics

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 09:39:23 PM »
did i read somewhere that U16 and varta had to be removed or was that just the enhanced?

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 09:43:27 PM »
did i mention this was the printer ribbon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 09:46:14 PM »
WOW
There's a lot of parts missing.
Where did you get that from?
Send it to member Lookes to look at...lol

Turn OFF the power.
Disconnect the printer for now.
Turn on the power switch again.

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2024, 09:53:10 PM »
John schultz does my boards.   
i tried unhooking the printer and hopper, no change

also chaecked the power at J9 on the backplane   Bottom left orange wire should be +25VDC, bottom right red wire should be +13VDC. Tilt had this in a post.  my voltages are within a volt of these

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 11:05:06 PM »
Your 25 or 13 volts has nothing to do with the "Netplex is Down" error.

Tell us what you get for voltage at Pin#7 on the PSU.

Offline dailey

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 11:44:57 PM »
I noticed that the body of diode D3 is cracked (diode next to Varta Battery area). Might have nothing to do with your problems but you might want to check it.

Offline lookes

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2024, 06:23:15 AM »
WOW
There's a lot of parts missing.
Where did you get that from?
Send it to member Lookes to look at...lol

Turn OFF the power.
Disconnect the printer for now.
Turn on the power switch again.

I always remove all those parts. None are needed and it provides access to good copper (usually) so I can repair traces if needed. If I need access on the D3,D4 side I remove them and mount them on the bottom of the board. Looks naked!  :yes:  (Not sure D3 is cracked. I think it's a mold line)

That poor board has been taking some shots from bad power and maybe the printer ribbon cable damage. More than likely a NETPLEX component has been damaged on the MPU. The board boots and runs as it gets to 'nO dISP' on the LED display after a few minutes.
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2024, 07:44:18 AM »
If his printer cable is like that, can you imagine the damage in the rest of his cabinet?  :Scratch-Head:

I'd daresay your work is excellent Lookes, his cabinet and wiring...maybe not so much.

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2024, 07:48:57 AM »
The rest of the cabinet?  What else is wrong with the game you see?  This is a nice game?

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2024, 07:53:32 AM »
oh, the game is fine...I'm more concerned about the wiring inside the cabinet.
Nothing should be frayed and exposed like that ribbon cable.
That causes shorts in electronic components.

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024, 08:03:28 AM »
The rest of the wiring is solid.  That’s kinda common on these because of the way they slide in and out.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2024, 09:01:58 AM »
2nd time...can you give us a voltage reading on Pin#7 of your PSU?

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2024, 09:22:56 AM »
I appreciate your help and you trying to assist me. I will get it when I get home from work.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2024, 11:30:46 AM »
okay...to make things easier, it's a solid black wire on the top right Pin-6 of that 10-pin [J13] Molex power connector on the backplane that you were talking about earlier.
You may notice that there's only one black wire going into the back of the housing on the top two holes - that's the one coming from the 7th pin on the power supply up behind the reel shelf.
This is how you may find out if, there's any power coming out of that line...>>>

Open the door and turn on the machine's power switch.
Set your multimeter for 20vdc or higher.
Stick the red probe of your multimeter into the back of Pin-6 on the power connector down there.
Touch the black probe of your mutimeter anywhere on nearby chassis metal.
Give us your reading.

I've attached a photo of the back of that Molex power connector.
Pin-6 is the top right one with the black wire.
Click on photo below to enlarge if needed...>>>

Offline armyaviation

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2024, 02:08:24 PM »
6.4v dc

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal