New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: RIP S2000 "Display Passes Self-Test"then died.  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 411
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
RIP S2000 "Display Passes Self-Test"then died.
« on: December 01, 2020, 11:03:19 PM »
Turned on my 3CM Double Diamond. :drool04:

It has a 502 MPU...been working for about oh....9-10 years maybe?

Never had a problem.

All of a sudden the VFD display goes out after displaying "Display Passes Self-Test".

3rd & 4th amber LEDs are lit on the MPU as normal along with the 5th Green LED.

WBA screeches on like normal.

Printer amber LEDS come on as well.

Everything's normal right?But the "Display Passes Self-Test" doesn't turn into a "Please Wait, Testing Memory" message.

Instead it goes blank.

Changed EVERYTHING with known good parts...other MPU's work in here fine with suspect chips.

So I tried the suspect 502 in ANOTHER cabinet.

Guess what, does the same thing.Soooo....it's the MPU itself.

Upon extremely close inspection  :sherlock: , look at what I found...haha

Click on photo to enlarge if needed...>>>

« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 06:54:51 PM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
It's a "Bipolar (BJT) Transistor NPN 40V 200mA 300MHz 350mW Surface Mount SOT-23
"https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/ON%20Semiconductor%20PDFs/2N3904,MMBT3904,PZT3904.pdf

I LOVE this part in the sheet about it...>>>
Stresses exceeding the absolute maximum ratings may damage the device. The device may not function or be opera-ble above the recommended operating conditions and stressing the parts to these levels is not recommended. :24:

Basically, it routes power or logic signals a certain way when a pair of legs are energized.
I didn't look at the schematics and I'm not sure exactly what this is for in an S2000 but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to look like it stepped on a land mine.
What blew it out? :scratch-head_2: I'll never know... but I've seen IC components melted, exploded ,etc etc. and that's never good. :no:

Is it worth me changing it out?   Looks like a simple task really.

I have a spare-parts-only 502 that has a perfectly good recruit chip that looks like it just got off a personnel carrier with a brand new set of boots and duffle bag.

I think I'll put into service and we'll see what the heck happens.

Out comes the soldering gun!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 387
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: RIP S2000 "Display Passes Self-Test"then died.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 09:07:42 AM »
It's part of the Netplex receive data circuit, you need that.  Put in a new one and it will probably work again.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »
It's part of the Netplex receive data circuit, you need that.  Put in a new one and it will probably work again.
I totally agree with you.
I took a peek at the schematics this morning.
I just hope nothing else got cooked.  :arrowthruhead:

***UPDATE***
I had a hard time getting off the 1st Q1 transistor on my "Spare-Parts-Only" donor board  ( I think it was bipolar!  :Tongue_Out:   )

So I looked thru the schematics and found that Q1-4, 8, and 10 are all the same exact things.

Nearby this Q1 is a few that one can use if they want to do this repair.

I've marked a green box around them on the photo below.
I then prepared the suspect MPU area and soldered on the donor chip.

I reinstalled the battery and threw it into my "S+-Conversion-Into-An-S2k" cabinet and it works perfectly!  :cool_thumb_up:

Click on photo below to enlarge if needed....>>>
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:22:46 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline DB26

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 03:59:29 PM »
That’s great. What type of desoldering tool do you use, If any? My old Weller is a little clumsy with these MPU boards.
-Robert

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
That’s great. What type of desoldering tool do you use, If any? My old Weller is a little clumsy with these MPU boards.
A soldering pen, a sucker tool, and an Exacto blade.

Offline Ken

• Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 142
  • Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!Ken Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 04:29:52 PM »
And a 100X magnifying glass.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
And a 100X magnifying glass.
hahaha! 3x is good enough for my eyes Ken!  :rotfl:

I picked up this fluorescent magnifying lamp a few years ago from HarborFreight pretty cheap...>>>

Offline lookes

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 06:17:44 PM »
I need more than 3X   :nerd:

I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
oh man!  :drool04: I'd love one of those things!  :rotfl:
What model is that?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:41:26 PM by Stayouttadabunker »

Offline DB26

• DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.DB26 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2020, 07:16:35 PM »
Nice bit of tools there guys. I have a solder sucker. I guess I just need more practice.

When does the Xacto knife come into play? Is that used in combination with the sucker?
-Robert

Offline lookes

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »
What model is that?

Mark it is AmScope SM-4BZ.  I work on some even finer pitch chips on hard drive PC boards and it is absolutely necessary to have. 
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 08:10:43 PM »
What model is that?

Mark it is AmScope SM-4BZ.  I work on some even finer pitch chips on hard drive PC boards and it is absolutely necessary to have.
Very nice!  :cool_thumb_up:

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2020, 11:22:33 AM »
Nice bit of tools there guys. I have a solder sucker. I guess I just need more practice.
When does the Xacto knife come into play? Is that used in combination with the sucker?
Sometimes you need the sharp point of the Exacto knife to get under the leg next to the solder pad to sort of put a touch of pressure upwards onto the leg as you heat the solder pad with the sharp tip of the solder pencil.

You only use enough heat on the pad to make the leg "pop-up" off the pad.

Over-heating the pad or leg is never a good thing....you can easily ruin an IC component.

Anyway, they actually sell smaller solder tips with a finer point for soldering pencils.

I just didn't have one installed on it when I snapped the photograph to put in my Reply post.

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 11:30:46 AM »
What model is that?
Oh my! That's a little outta my league!  :cool_thumb_up:

I'd have to win some  :money: :money: on the lottery to get one of those!  :arrowthruhead:

Offline DB26

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 12:28:38 PM »
Sometimes you need the sharp point of the Exacto knife to get under the leg next to the solder pad to sort of put a touch of pressure upwards onto the leg as you heat the solder pad with the sharp tip of the solder pencil.

You only use enough heat on the pad to make the leg "pop-up" off the pad.

Over-heating the pad or leg is never a good thing....you can easily ruin an IC component.

Anyway, they actually sell smaller solder tips with a finer point for soldering pencils.

I just didn't have one installed on it when I snapped the photograph to put in my Reply post.

Thank you for the tips. I just got some some fine point tips for my Weller.

I’ve been looking at one of those Hakko solder vacuum pump units. That looks pretty nice for the through hole chips and such. A little pricey though, about $250
-Robert

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal