New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Upgrading an older Game King 13 inch crt with 3802 and 4.3 software  (Read 2936 times)

Offline nateccnn

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • nateccnn New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I have three Game King 13 inch uprights.  Two of them are fully functioning machines and the third has been used as a parts machine but could be brought up to specs with a wiring harness and some buttons.

One of the working machines was somehow set to multi-denomination and is set to take credits in pennies even though the hopper and coin comparator are set to use quarters.  This gets to be a hassle when you have one dollar of credits and want to cash out...we usually keep about 20 coins in the hopper.  I just ordered a Key 17 so I can reset that machine to take credits in quarters.

Now I am thinking about purchasing some new boards to update these machines to newer games.  Is it possible to upgrade these machines to a newer 044 board style?  Trays look similar but I have not actually touched one so not sure about that.  My machine has two trays in the upper cabinet above the monitor.  The lower tray is the processor board where the game chips are installed.  The upper tray I assume is the main or mother board?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0ozxna9x5izsta/2015-01-19%2022.04.07.jpg?dl=0

I'd like to be able to swap boards out from time to time so I can go back and forth between old legacy software and games and the newer 044 based games.

What all would I need in order to complete this upgrade?

Thanks,

Nate

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Upgrading an older Game King 13 inch crt with 3802 and 4.3 software
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:07:01 PM »
Hello Nate  :NLG_WELCOME:

You will be able to correct the machine denomination when you get your keychip.  The machine has to have zero credits to key it, that's easy to overlook sometimes.

Unfortunately you can't upgrade a 13" cabinet to be compatible with the 044 MPU.  The 044 MPU has different backplane connectors and IGT apparently never made a 044 motherboard that will fit in the older 13" cabinets.  You can however upgrade to a 3902 MPU which will allow you to play SIMM based I-game and Game King software on it.  That is just a straight MPU swap from the 3802 to 3902.

The board tray with connectors plugged into it above the MPU tray is your input/output (I/O) card tray.  That's where switch inputs, lamp outputs, and other  I/O signals are processed.

If you really want a machine to play 044 games on your best bet is to buy a 17" machine that has already been upgraded with a 044 MPU and motherboard in my opinion.

Offline nateccnn

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 04:40:11 PM »
Thanks for the input, Tilt.  I was pretty sure that would be the case but wanted to ask the informed before making any decisions.

I think for now I'll pick up a couple 3902 boards and upgrade the games I have.  If decide later to add a machine or two then I will definitely look for something a little newer as you suggested.

This is all new to me.  My school used to teach slot repair as a part of an larger electronics training program but we stopped training in slots several years ago.  I just dug these machines out of storage and decided to dust them off.  It's kind of like a bug.  I started out thinking I would plug them in to see if they worked and throw the ones away that did not work.  That turned out to be all three machines.  But after several hours of stubbornness I ended up with two working machines and some pride in workmanship.  Now my wife says I am obsessed with these things.  She loves to play slots (which I hate) and I love to work on them (which she hates).  When my friends ask me if I pay out on royal flush I just tell them I give free beers when they play but they have to tip me.  Its all fun.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:56:23 PM »
You're welcome.  I enjoy tinkering with them as well, but occasionally play a few hands of video poker from time to time.  Glad you rescued two of the machines, now you can start working on that third one.  :Tongue_Out:

Offline nateccnn

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
The third one only needs a new set of buttons and wire harness.  Coin Comparator doesn't work but bill validator does.  Maybe Ill fix it up and sell it. 

Nate

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal