New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: IGT S+ - no power, fixed then only reels spin when powered up  (Read 17319 times)

Offline ksgmng

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • ksgmng New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: IGT S+ - no power, fixed then only reels spin when powered up
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »
Ok, I just checked my voltages at the 6-pin power molex. If I put my meter on the 24vac common and pin 5 24vac I am only getting around 3vac. Seems to be the pattern with all the other pins.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »
check the voltages on your other machine too. I think pin 2 and 3 =7vac. 2+4=8vac. and 1+5=24vac
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »
Ok, I think I'm making progress.

If I put my leads on pin 1 and 5, I am getting just under 5v. around 4.75
If I put my leads on pin 2 and 3 and then on 2 and 4 I am getting around 4v for both.

So would this make my transformer suspect since it is not providing the necessary 24v and 8v?

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
Do you have your meter set to AC voltage? For some reason I think it makes a difference. Jim once told me in his 20+ years with these machines he has never had a S+ power supply go bad. Where did these machines come from. Maybe they are wired for 240vac. Think there is a diagram for that in the first part of S+ topic. However yours could be the first power supply bad from maybe a surge.

the rockin elvis

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 05:39:58 PM »
Yep, I checked a few times to make sure I was on AC and not DC. I have no idea on the history of these machines. They came from an auction. I do know the both I got had some corrosion to the CPU from I believe the battery. So bad on one that the cap just fell off the board when I touched it. I bought a new CPU for the one i'm working on now. Hopefully I can resurrect it so I can get both running again.

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2015, 05:44:47 PM »
Very often when they leak like that it runs on the mother board too. might want to remove it and clean with vinegar

the rockin elvis

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 06:24:46 PM »
I almost wonder if the previous owner was tampering with the base power supply. It was no longer screwed to the base and there is no cover over the top of it. I was thinking I will remove the black / purple wire for the 220v as discussed in earlier posts but I just don't think that will solve my problem since I am getting such low voltage output. I think I might just have to bite the bullet and buy another power supply unit.

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »
Here is the transformer outputs.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »
So, here is where I am now. I checked the line filter and I have AC on the other side out. I then checked 115 going to the transformer and found nothing? I then checked this 4 plug terminal block on the side of the power supply. I don't really understand how this block of 4 plugs works. I pulled it off and on the all white block and all black block I can see my 115v if I put my leads on them but how does that power transfer to the other blocks to go to the trans and other outputs? Does anybody know how it works? I don't see how I may be missing something. Any diagram out there?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:01:12 PM by ksgmng »

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
Let me correct my earlier message. By white block I mean the black block with all white wires and the black block meant the black block with all black wires. I would love to post a picture to better explain but every time I try to post I get a page lock up and my post does not go through.

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
Trying pictures again

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 05:15:26 PM »
Finally I was able to post pictures. I had to use IE instead of chrome. Not sure why.

Anyway the above post is the terminal block I was talking about. This mounts to the wall inside the power supply. The 2 left blocks have 115v on them. The right blocks appear to go to the transformer and the other plugs on the back of the power supply. I tested the molex plugs at the back of the supply and only 1 I believe had 115v at it. I don't understand these blocks. I expected the 115v to come through the line filter, to the fuse holder and then maybe a terminal / distribution block but it doesn't seem that way. Does anybody have pictures of the inside of one of these power supplies? How they should look / wires run?

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 05:31:25 PM »
Here is the transformer outputs.

I am questioning this output chart by "proten" Can anyone validate this because a look in the service manual I am seeing differently. Whereby 1- 115VAC and 3 is 220VAC.

Offline therockinelvis

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
The 115 your finding on top of the supply goes to the cabinet lighting. If your not getting the 7, 8, and 24 vac there is a big problem. I've seen a few S+ power supplies on EBay.

the rockin elvis

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 07:18:18 AM »
there are three terminal blocks in the power supply unit. TB1, TB2 and TB6.  the hot A/C comes into the machine via the power cord, it plugs into the side of the power supply, goes through the A/C filter and is available at the accessory outlet. from here it goes to the power switch S-1, through the power switch (when the switch is on)  back down to the power supply unit to the one side of Fuse F3, through the fuse and goes to pin3 of TB6. the way the terminal block works---when the wire and clip are inserted into the position on the terminal block it locks into place, the next wire and clip have to be inserted into the very next position (in this case it would be pin # 2 ) the physical placement and construction of the terminal block insure the electrical connection, the wire in pin 2 should go to the pin 2 on the primary of the transformer. Pin 1 on terminal block 6 should go to pin 2 of TB2, this will provide 115 v A/C  hot to all the devices that use 115vac.  the other side of on/off switch should go to pin 5 of TB1, this will provide the neutral side of all the devices using 115vac. Pin 2 of TB1 goes to the pin 1 on the primary transformer.

At this point you should have 115 vac at the primary of the transformer, if not, I would think the wiring at TB6 is not correct.  Pin 4 on TB6 should be blank and pin 5 on TB6 should have a wire going from there to pin 3 on the primary transformer, this would be the input for 220vac, you would move the wire on TB6 from pin 3 to pin 4, now your machine would be connected for 220vac.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 08:39:46 AM »
Thanks Jim,
Here are some pictures of my setup inside the power supply. On this supply I have pin 3 empty instead of 4 on TB6. Pin 5 on TB6 labeled #29 wire goes to #3 primary on the transformer. Pin #4 on TB6 is labeled #21 and runs to the bottom fuse (F3?). Pin 2 on TB6 runs to primary #2 on transformer. Pin 1 on TB6 is labeled 30 and I cannot trace "easily" where it goes. On the transformer Primary #1 is a white / red stripe wire that I cannot also "easily" trace.

I cannot locate what terminal block is TB1. I have TB6 in the bottom of the supply and then a bank of 4 blocks on the side wall. Is one of these blocks TB1.

Hopefully my pictures help.

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 09:28:06 AM »
Ok, I made some wiring changes since earlier post. I have completely removed the black / violet wire #29 that was going from primary on trans to pin 5 on TB6. I have moved the wire #21 from pin 4 and put it in pin 3 on TB6. This wire goes to the other side of bottom fuse holder (F3?). Pin 2 on TB6 goes directly to primary #2 on transformer. Pin 1 #30 on TB6 goes to the bank of 4 terminal blocks mounted to the side of the power supply. it is going to the first far left block to pin #6. Primary #1 on the trans is also going to the TB bank on the side. this wire goes to the second block from the left and goes to pin #7.

I'd like to plug it in and see if it works but would like some sort of confirmation I am safe. Otherwise I would hat to make the news for blowing up my shop.   

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 09:49:56 AM »
I think you are ok to plug this in.  think of it in this way,  TB6  has the  A/C hot  lead coming into it from the fuse, TB6 is nothing more than a distribution panel for that A/C hot lead, it distributes it to the primary of the transformer and it distributes it to one of the two other  terminal blocks,  this terminal block distributes that hot A/C lead to all the other devices that require 115vac. So that is half of the complete circuit, the neutral side of the 115vac comes into the other terminal block and it is distributed out to all the devices requiring 115vac, so now you have a hot lead and a neutral going to all the devices that require them.  Think of the terminal blocks as an outlet, one side is HOT, the other side is neutral, you need both to make a device run.

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • NLG
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 10:05:59 AM »
http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=2381.0

this link to the old site, should  give you a diagram to how this works.

Signature:

Offline ksgmng

• NLG
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
IT LIVES!
Powered up and the fl. lights all came on and shortly after the display. Things seem good so far. I do have a "61" in the winner paid display. This is the only display lit up. The others lit up for a second then went off. Does the "61" in this display mean anything? I checked the manual and it mentioned a "61" as being an eprom reset needed but it didn't say if that is what is needed when displayed in the winner paid display. I did replace the CPU board and swap my game / reel eproms from old board.

Any thoughts?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal