New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Hopper Jam (coins falling off shelf)  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Travis4

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Travis4 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Hopper Jam (coins falling off shelf)
« on: November 20, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
Hi,
I have an E-2000 that is working well with the exception that the nickel payouts often fail and require a machine reset. Looking at the action it appears that there are occasionally empty coin slots on the pinwheel that causes the problem (error 31 - hopper jam). There has never been a "jam", just the empty slots.  The wiper is set so that it just touches a single coin. The knife was replaced with a new one and the shelf, which was for quarters was replaced with a slightly larger diameter shelf made for nickels. None of this has helped.
I would like to be able to fix this however alternately I would just be happy if the Slot would be happy with a less accurate payout as this is in a private residence situation where a wrong payout is OK but constant resets is not.

Can anyone suggest what I should look to adjust? I am suspicious of the wiper adjustment but having tried more or less pressure it does not seem to change the problem much. I have attached some photos, none of which show an empty slot, but it happens fairly often, at least once in 10 coins.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Hopper Jam (coins falling off shelf)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 12:36:45 PM »
On my hopper based games, I have occasional empty spots as well on the pinwheel and it doesn't cause any issues, it just takes longer to pay.  What is the exact error you are getting, I don't believe it's because you have empty slots from time to time as that should happen normally anyway.  Have you cleaned out optics?  Maybe a coin goes by the mechanical switch, but doesn't register in the optics?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Travis4

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 01:18:37 PM »

What you say makes sense that it should not get upset about one missed coin, but that is not what I see happening.....No optics here on this E-2000, just a microswitch.  It definitely gets upset about a missing coin. I can pluck one off the pinwheel and it will error out (31) when it passes that spot every time. It would be nice if it would just run a bit longer on a missed spot but it does not.
Switch clicks about halfway up the stroke from rest to top of coin. Maybe I need to change that trip point some more??
Thanks for the response. Anyone who has one of these machines has seen it work longer than I have and experience counts.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »
Interesting, I figured with all the cheating in the mid to late 80's on the machines that all machines around that time would have upgraded their hoppers.  Even my old bally EM misses coins from time to time. Learn something new every day!
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
in your subject matter, you describe (coins falling off shelf)  what does that mean?  when you changed the shelf wheel did you put everything back in the right place?  you have three screws holding the agitator in place, one of those screws is about 1 inch long, it has to be screwed into the right position or else your hopper pin wheel will free spin, maybe that's why you are getting a 31 code which may mean overpaid by one coin. if the pin wheel is not secured properly it will tend to continue to move forward after the motor has stopped (inertia) . On the back side of the pin wheel there is a screw placed close to one of three agitator mounting holes (perhaps within a 1/2 inch). the longer screw has to go in that position hole to provide a stop for the motor roll pin , any easy way to tell if the pin wheel is locked into that position is too: empty the coins out of the hopper,  now turn the pinwheel, if it will travel around 360 degrees and stop, and you can go clockwise or counterclockwise for 360 degrees and stop then the screw is in the wrong position.

also I noticed that the tip of your knife has to bent ever so slightly to be resting on the shelf wheel, it appears to be raised up about 1/16 of an inch.

hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Travis4

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 05:43:58 PM »
I pulled it apart and confirmed that the roll-pin was properly trapped, and put a slight bend in the knife tip, but it really did not help. I then carefully watched the action using test 4 and it seemed to me that at times the coin passing the switch got jammed and would fly off the pin-wheel.  I noticed ( see picture) that it looked like the switch roller was so low on the coin as to trap it rather than lift up, so I added a little rubber stop ( 2nd picture ) to raise the switch roller a bit so it now hits a little higher on the nickel.  I have run the 10 coin test multiple times now and it has not error-ed out however at times it only spits out 9 ( says 10 on display ) and then on the next cycle it will spit out 11.  I report this, not because that bothers me, but that problem might mean something to someone who has encounterd this before and could point to brake problems, etc.
Anyway, I appreciate the suggestions which spurred me to more efforts to resolve the issue.  Not sure if this is a known problem or not, but it seemed to help the problem on this particular hopper.
Thank you Jim
Travis

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 07:51:03 PM »
If that guide spring is touching the coins, it could be flipping them off the wheel. It should be adjusted to just barely glide over the coins but not put pressure on them. New nickels have high ridges on the outer faces, where old nickels are usually worn.

I use only no-date buffalo nickels in all of my machines because they run smoother and don't jam.

Offline Travis4

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 08:14:15 PM »
nice tip.....

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 09:02:40 PM »
Certain hopper wheels can be turned around inside out too...the wheels get worn on the outside so flipping them inside out helps the coins stay on the shelf.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2019, 08:52:16 PM »
Do you have the correct pinwheel and shelf wheel for Nickel setup?  The  shelf wheel looks to be slightly small and the pinwheel looks like a large coin type pinwheel.  Some please chime in.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 300
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 09:48:49 PM »
Tim,  I think you hit the nail on the head. That is a large coin pin wheel, I'll look through my pile and see if I can find the different pinwheels and shelf wheels for comparison. 

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2019, 10:04:50 PM »
I'm sure Jim will have one for ya!
Once I wanted one for nickels but only had a large denom pinwheel....so what did I do?

I used a grinder and grinded off all the nibs from the steel wheel...smooth and flat.
Then I applied tiny micro-welds with my wire-feed welding machine.
I spaced the welds/ nibs onto the wheel about 3/16ths of an inch wider than the diameter of a quarter.  :arrowthruhead:
I remember having to use the grinder to make the left side of the welds flat so they would "grab" the coins.

It actually worked well!  :rotfl: :24: and the coins came out fast as heck because the wheel had a LOT more coin slots on it!

I wish I still had it!  :Tongue_Out:
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Travis4

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 06:03:43 AM »
I think you are right about the pinwheel being wrong for nickels but here is my problem....
I have a brand new pinwheel (see picture) with shorter nubs, and it came with the nickel shelf I am presently using and the one marked 25 cents which was the same diameter as the one I removed, but I could not figure out how to mount the pin-wheel itself as it differs from the existing pinwheel in an important aspect --- The 3 holes for the screws that go though the agitator and shelf plate, also go through this pin-wheel which is not tapped for those screws like the existing plate is.  What should I do?? put nuts behind it??
Please tell me and I'll try it.
Had no idea so all I did was change the shelf plate and knife which also came with the set.
The small nib pin-wheel without tapped holes is marked P 842-9B
BTW, the payout is working much better than it had since I put that piece of rubber in there, but it still messes up occasionally.
Travis

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
Quarter and Nickel  shelf wheels are different diameters.  I think you should get the correct shelf wheel and pinwheel.  You could tap the holes on the pinwheel that does not have threaded holes.

Offline Travis4

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 08:51:15 AM »
Yes, I installed the smaller diameter shelf but you cannot tap a pinwheel with holes larger than the screw thread. The only possibility I see is to place nuts behind the pinwheel, but the one on the long screw would interfere with the motor roll-pin I fear. maybe it wouldn't, I'd have to see again how far back from the plate that roll pin is.
Doesn't it seem odd that the new pinwheel has large holes?? and the original is tapped??

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 12:39:31 PM »
What you bought was a Quarter setup for a newer hopper. That is the wrong pinwheel for that hopper. It's a newer pinwheel. Either get the correct pinwheel or tap the holes and get larger screws. You need a nickel shelf wheel. It will be larger then the quarter shelf wheel if you get the correct size.

Offline Travis4

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2019, 06:06:29 AM »
If I had thought about the problem a little more, in particular the early comment that a missing coin on the shelf should not cause the Slot to get upset - I probably would have figured out the real problem here.
I got this slot in a state where it had not run, maybe never run in the possession of the last owner and there were many things that needed to be corrected. One of them was wiring, which would normally not be a suspect on a past working machine.  In this case the hopper coin switch was wired backwards so a missing coin looked like a jam.
Switched the wires and now it is OK with the occasional missing coin which I have also found is an unavoidable occurrence.
Thanks to all who helped on this. Maybe it will help someone else down the road.
 :thank_you:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal