New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: How to Change Game On GK/I-Game  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Hustle365247

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Hustle365247 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
How to Change Game On GK/I-Game
« on: June 27, 2021, 05:46:21 PM »
Hello, new guy here from Mississippi. I have about a million questions, but before I start can someone tell me what type IGT machine I have? I think it is an IGT I-Game.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: How to Change Game On GK/I-Game
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 06:49:27 PM »
Yes that is a 19" 3902 based GK/I-Game

Offline Hustle365247

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 06:55:09 PM »
Thank you for your reply!!!

Offline Hustle365247

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 12:36:54 PM »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to change the game on a 19" 3902 based GK/I-Game? Also is this something a novice can handle, or should I leave this to the pro's? I have a machine that has Mystical Mermaid Glass, and the game is actually Stinkin Rich. I would like to install the Mystical Mermaid game if possible. Thanks for any advice.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 05:26:10 PM »
It's pretty easy.  You change the Base Chip, GME's, and SIMM cards from the old game to the new.  You'll need a keychip to setup the new software, but you should really have one anyhow as it's also needed if when you have to replace the MPU battery.  I'm sure there's a few people here who can help you with the software and provide some help getting it installed and working if you need it. 

Offline Hustle365247

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 02:04:41 PM »
Thank you, appreciate the advice.

Offline smoothgrh

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 36
  • smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.smoothgrh Is working their way up.
  • Bally 873; Game King 3502/3902; Atari System 2
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »
Also, load up on EEPROMs for your backplane so you don't have to keep setting up the denominations, payback %, etc. They're cheap!

Check out this thread: http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=25675.0

Offline Disgruntledc0w

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Disgruntledc0w New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 06:32:47 AM »
@smoothgrn - great idea about the E2 proms....I may get a few just to have some backups...

Offline T

• Reputation Power: 19
  • T New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2021, 09:03:21 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to change the game on a 19" 3902 based GK/I-Game? Also is this something a novice can handle, or should I leave this to the pro's? I have a machine that has Mystical Mermaid Glass, and the game is actually Stinkin Rich. I would like to install the Mystical Mermaid game if possible. Thanks for any advice.

I have over 20 games for my 3902. Each game is on its own board along with the small eprom for the backplane. Slide out MPU board (turn machine off first), replace small eprom on backplane slide in game board turn machine on and what do you know, game is all ready to play. No set up or messing around just ready to roll...now, some will say that is an expensive way to go and they could be right to some degree. I don't want to mess around with it so going this route works very well for me

Offline gameking6

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • gameking6 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2021, 02:58:33 PM »
If you can put a ZIF socket on your backplane it would be even easier.

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2021, 03:51:16 PM »
If you can put a ZIF socket on your backplane it would be even easier.

I like that idea. What does that entail?

Offline Hustle365247

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2021, 05:26:40 PM »
I really like the idea  about changing the eeprom on the backplane when swapping games. Thank you for the great advice. I have a couple questions about this..
Where is the backplane?
Coul you post a link to the exact eeprom I will need?

Thanks again for all the info. I know this stuff is common knowledge for you guys/gals, but prior to joining this site I had never even heard the word eeprom. Needless to say I am about is clueless as you can get.  :hail:

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »
The backplane is the board the MPU plugs into.  If you remove the MPU board (do not remove or install components with the power on) you'll see an 8 pin IC, almost in the center of the motherboard.  It's the only socketed component on it and is a 24C16.  I find it easiest to put the 24C16 EEPROM in a socket and then plug that into the socket.  So you have a socket plugging into another socket.  It makes it easy to remove by hand instead of trying to pry it out with a screwdriver and bending pins.  That will eventually lead to the pins breaking. 

Offline Hustle365247

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2021, 05:50:47 PM »
You folks are the best. I really appreciate all the information.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2021, 07:46:57 PM »
Digikey or Mouser should have them.  You can probably also pick up some from members here who have extras. 

Offline T

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 07:50:58 PM »
The backplane is the board the MPU plugs into.  If you remove the MPU board (do not remove or install components with the power on) you'll see an 8 pin IC, almost in the center of the motherboard.  It's the only socketed component on it and is a 24C16.  I find it easiest to put the 24C16 EEPROM in a socket and then plug that into the socket.  So you have a socket plugging into another socket.  It makes it easy to remove by hand instead of trying to pry it out with a screwdriver and bending pins.  That will eventually lead to the pins breaking.

Got a picture of the socket or more info? That would surly make it easier changing out the EEPROM. I use needle nose pliers to pull out the EEPROM then of course use my hand to install the next one

Offline lookes

• Reputation Power: 27
  • lookes New User barely matters.lookes New User barely matters.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2021, 07:59:32 PM »
I put an eeprom on each of my 3902 boards. Then you don't have to keep changing the one on the motherboard. It's like a giant Atari cartridge. Shut it off - change MPU's - turn it on and play.  :yes:
I Repair IGT 50X, 1270, 039, 044, and S+ MPU's. Contact me at slots@lookelectronics.com for more information.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2021, 08:17:57 PM »

Got a picture of the socket or more info? That would surly make it easier changing out the EEPROM. I use needle nose pliers to pull out the EEPROM then of course use my hand to install the next one

EERPOM

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/microchip-technology/AT24C16C-PUM/3046489

SOCKET

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/1-2199298-2/5022039

« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:43:52 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2021, 08:21:32 PM »
I put an eeprom on each of my 3902 boards. Then you don't have to keep changing the one on the motherboard. It's like a giant Atari cartridge. Shut it off - change MPU's - turn it on and play.  :yes:

That's what I've done too.  I just the use socketed EEPROM for 044 games since there's no easy was of installing an I2C EEPROM on a 044 MPU like there is with the 3902 MPU.  Modifying the 3902 MPU board with surface mount components isn't something that people without the correct equipment and skills should attempt though. 

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal