New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Presentation and restoration of a Bally 988-29 Deluxe Progressive  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Nurbo

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 42
  • Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
    • SubAudio
Hi,

Here is my latest acquisition, a Bally 988 Deluxe Progressive (1974).

Stored for 4 years, all the grease seems to be quite hard. The fluorescent tubes light up (at the vendor). The reels turn if I activate the unlocking of the arm by hand, for the rest I have not yet tested. I am waiting to be able to do the checks before plugging it in, because after transport there may be tokens that slip behind the power supply.

To be continued...  :wave:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 11:13:09 AM by wolftalk »
IGT S2000 - Super Spin Sizzling 7
Bally - 742 TicTacToe / 809 Multiplier / 873 5-line / Alpha S9000 / S6000 Dragon Wheel

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 168
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
Re: Presentation and restoration of a Bally 988 Deluxe Progressive
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2023, 07:08:16 PM »
is 988 the full model number (top number on the serial plate below the handle) ... or is it a 988-2?

Offline Nurbo

• Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...Nurbo Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
    • SubAudio
Re: Presentation and restoration of a Bally 988 Deluxe Progressive
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 10:23:37 PM »
You're right Wolftalk, I forgot to specify, it's a 988-29 !

Bally - 742 TicTacToe / 809 Multiplier / 873 5-line / Alpha S9000 / S6000 Dragon Wheel

Offline Nurbo

• NLG
    • SubAudio
Re: Presentation and restoration of a Bally 988-29 Deluxe Progressive
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 10:54:40 PM »
Hello,

Stored for 4 years, all the grease seems to be quite hard. The fluorescent tubes light up (at the vendor). The reels turn if I activate the unlocking of the arm, for the rest I have not yet tested. I am waiting to be able to do the checks before plugging it in, because after transport there may be tokens that slip behind the power supply.

And I also found a token behind the power supply…

Offline Nurbo

• NLG
    • SubAudio
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 10:57:55 PM »
Here is a little more detailed tour of this machine  :yes:

I don't know what the terminal block behind the reels is for. Several wires come from below, but they are not connected to each other, except for 2 (photo 07)

On photo 09, top left, the black thing is a switch, it's the first time I've seen one on an electromechanical reelmachine.
But this 988 is also the "youngest" in my collection :)

Photo 10, the size of the connector on the hopper is impressive!!!!
It's also the first time I've had a hopper with the motor under the token bowl.

Offline Nurbo

• NLG
    • SubAudio
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 11:03:29 PM »
Overall I did not find anything like big modification

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!wolftalk Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 12:31:49 PM »
70 pin beau plug on the hopper ... didn't know they made one.

I guess that would give you a lot of spare pins to use if one is damaged ... like the upper big round pin appears to be in the socket.

Offline Nurbo

• NLG
    • SubAudio
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 11:57:04 AM »
Hello,

For the first works I started with the progressive counting unit.

I cleaned the plastic reels. Damp cloth, pressing very lightly as the inscriptions may be erased.
I noticed that there are a few reels that don't spin very well, as if there was grease. I will have to take them apart and clean them. I wouldn't touch those that run smoothly.

1 cent reel malfunction : https://youtu.be/wSFVAZcp5hY

At the bottom there are the 2 counting units.
On photo 17, on the left, it is the LINE UNIT which operates in 2 steps. On the right there is no longer the label but according to the diagram it is the JACKPOT TOTAL STEP-UP DISC.
On the white toothed wheel there is no spring, but it seems to me that this is normal on this unit, can someone confirm it for me.

Offline wolftalk

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
    • doc stash
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 05:53:40 PM »

1 cent reel malfunction : https://youtu.be/wSFVAZcp5hY

if the problem is when the 9 appears, usually the issue is the carry-over switch ... the one that closes when the reel is at 9 so on the next step the adjacent reel also increments.

the goal of the switch adjust is to minimize the stalling at the 9.  You often need to adjust both the moving and stationary blades.  Fortunately, it's a lot more forgiving than a gottlieb pinball reel :-)

could also just be crud on the contact plate.

operating the step-up manually can exaggerate the problem a little, though the way you are doing it is less likely to be a problem.  See if it works ok when the game does it, and if it's still sluggish, then you can have fun taking the reel apart.  It's just a bally pinball score reel, so lots of youtube videos on ways to do it.

At the bottom there are the 2 counting units.
On photo 17, on the left, it is the LINE UNIT which operates in 2 steps. On the right there is no longer the label but according to the diagram it is the JACKPOT TOTAL STEP-UP DISC.
On the white toothed wheel there is no spring, but it seems to me that this is normal on this unit, can someone confirm it for me.

yup.  Stepping units with no reset solenoids are "continuous steppers".  Since they never reset, no torsion spring is needed.  If ya added one, the unit would step until the torsion spring was so tight it couldn't step anymore.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal