New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: A dab of solder will do ya!  (Read 7342 times)

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
A dab of solder will do ya!
« on: June 03, 2015, 05:40:21 AM »

Greetings all:

Back in the days when Barry Fox was selling EM parts like hot cakes I bought 10 sockets that hold the 63 bulb, usually on either side of the reel glass. I am slightly anal and it seemed that the sockets had to be constantly tweaked to get the bulbs to light brightly or light up at all.  If the machine was displayed then all of the lights had to work properly.  After drilling out numerous rivits and replacing them with small nuts and bolts I have exhausted my supply of sockets.  I mentioned this to one of my friends who in my book is a master EM mechanic.  He said why don't you put a dab of solder on the center post of the bulb.  He even added that the same fix or work around is applicable to the smaller 47 bulbs commonly found in the head unit. A steady hand and your eyeglasses, if you are over 40, are required for the smaller bulb modification.   Well I tried it and now I have a box of each size at the ready.  I wish that I had those 10 "bad" sockets that I threw out.  Darn! 

I know that most of the old timers here knew of this trick but for a new learner like me I just wanted to share.

Happy Gaming
Ra

« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:41:54 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline SilverFerret

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • SilverFerret New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: A dab of solder will do ya!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 11:00:18 AM »
Definitely trying this. Thanks for the tip.
Jim

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »
I'll have to try this on my Bally Pinball machine.. I have a 1/2 to a dozen bulbs and sockets that give me problems with not wanting to say lite..  :cool_thumb_up:
Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline RiseLikeRa

• RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!RiseLikeRa Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
It worked VERY well for me without a single problem so far.  On one 63 bulb I got solder happy put a big blob on it.  The little tits on the side did not seat well so I filed the extra solder down just a bit and it has been working without incident.   I have gotten so much from the people on this list that it brings me great joy to be able to help someone else out for a change.

Fraternally
Ra

Offline Amechanic

• Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:45:59 PM »
So are you adding solder to the bulb tip or to the sockets inside or out?? You have a picture?
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline buybestslots

• Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 12:49:49 PM »
So are you adding solder to the bulb tip or to the sockets inside or out?? You have a picture?
works either way  we use to do it on bingo pinball games , also a fast wipe with a small lite  file works we always done that 1st  before using solder

Offline Denny

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Denny New User barely matters.Denny New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • www.designhse.wix.com/designhouse
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 05:51:30 PM »
I've done it to a few bulb tips for my older Rowe R86 jukebox bulbs.  Worked fine except, I guess "I was a little nervous in the service" because I always had to file it down a little from using a little too much solder.  But, they are still working so I guess it worked out for the best.

Offline DavidLee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 127
  • DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!DavidLee Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 08:26:42 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I have a couple of worn sockets this trick should fix the loose connection.

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 03:53:16 AM »
Yippie! Our old games will be much brighter now.  I will have to come around and inspect each game room for compliance.  lol

Ra :applause:

Offline Denny

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:13:07 AM »
Hey, good idea Ra, see ya in Pottstown, PA .... August 22 "Get Together" !!!  :stirthepot:  :dancing_2:

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 06:18:51 AM »
Several folks have asked for a picture of the solder job so here it is.  I know I know that I am no solder master but for this purpose my limited skills worked.  Also I am not sure why the glass part of the 47 bulb looks so jacked up.  The light operates fine and after I looked at the picture I checked all if the bulbs in the box and they all looked similar.  I bough a bunch of boxes of 10 bulbs many years ago when Barry Fox had his moving sale.  Each bulb was tested and they are fine.  I had a Continental at the time that used a gazillion #47 sockets.  Now I mix in LED bulbs in my feature units for a little extra pop.  Light em up boys and girls!

Denny, it would love to make the gathering in PA however I have a family conflict for that day.  I have met some great folks on this list.  I hope to make the next get together for sure.

Stay well all.  Ra

Offline Denny

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 09:04:57 AM »
Whoa, sorry you can't make it.  We will send you a hot dog UPS !!  Well, you will just have to come to the "2nd Annual Pottstown Get Together" next year.  :dancing_2: :dancing_2:

Offline RiseLikeRa

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 12:58:07 AM »
If God grants me life I WILL be there next year!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal