New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Two used machines, 1995 triple diamonds, red white and blue- power but no worky  (Read 18102 times)

Offline elweedz

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • elweedz New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Hello all,

Just purchased  off craigslist with known issue.   Lady said they need to be reset but it didnt sound like she really knew what or how to do so.  Both do the same thing.  The light on top flashes non-stop.  The coin just passed thru when you insert it.  The triple diamond, when i pull the lever, it moves then makes a "knock" sound when it reaches the bottom.    The reels dont spin.  There dont appear to be any error codes.   I can make some numbers appear under the credits but they dont do anything.   Would greatly appreciate any help you can give.   She had 3 other machines that all do the same thing.   Seems like there is some common error on all 5 machines.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
First thing I'd do is turn the machine off, pull the processor board out (it's in the lower cabinet behind the coin hopper) and check the cmos batteries. If they are dead, replace them and go from there. Some resetting will be required and info on that can be found in the IGT s+ topic forum here on NLG

Offline elweedz

• NLG
Cowboy,

Thanks for the quick reply.   While I am an engineer, I know startling little of computers/electronics.  Am I in danger of really screwing this thing up or is your suggestion a fairly easy one?  I have habit of making things worse when i try to fix them.   Are there any "make sure you dont do this" things i need to know about your suggestion?

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
The biggest thing is to make sure the machine is powered off whenever removing or installing plugs or boards on these machines. Second is to make sure you pull straight up on the board when removing it and push straight down when installing it. Once the board is out, use a multimeter to check the voltage on the battery. If I remember right it is 1/2AA and 3.6v. Low voltage = bad battery

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Welcome to NLG, make sure you have the polarity correct when installing the new battery.
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
And while you have the mpu board out of the machine give it a good inspection. Look at the old battery to see if there is any corrosion around it. And check both sides of the board for anything like water damage, mouse droppings, etc. If you see anything you want to double-check just take a photo of it and attach the photo to a message.  (click on the "Attachments" link below any message you are posting).

Welcome to NLG !    :wave:

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline The Fatman

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.The Fatman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
    • Fatmans Pottery
Keep the boards off of any static friendly surfaces too.
Dave F
Dave ... AFKA
The Fatman

Offline elweedz

• NLG
All - again thanks for the usefull tips.   So far I have identified the only thing that i can see as  battery.  It says LS 14250 on it.  I ordered two off amazon so it will be a week before i can update my progress.  Looks like they need to be soldered to the board.    Here is where I start making small problems a big one.   :duh:

Offline cowboygames

• Sr NLG Member
That's the battery, one per board. What voltage reading did you get off them? Secondly, if you have a Batteries+ store near you  then they likely have the battery and can change it for you

Offline elweedz

• NLG
They both read less than .25 volts.   Just reliazed i do have those stores but amazon said they already shipped.  These machines are both circa 95 so maybe these are the originals?  i dont know.

Offline elweedz

• NLG
btw- called the battery place.  They dont sell the "tabbed" version of the battery which you need to weld to the mother board.  They would have to order them. 

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 268
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
If you've already ordered 1\2 AA "untabbed" batteries, you can get holders that solder in easily. They're all over eBay. Just pick one that's not in China or you might have to wait a long time!
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline Shaggy

• Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pan8k8OjIgM

Here's a video of how to change out a battery on a mpu board. This will help.

Dave
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline elweedz

• NLG
Hi ALL,

So i got the new cmos batteries installed and confirmed voltage at the solder points.  I put it all back together and both machines still just let the coin pass directly thru the coin slot.  I checked the coin comparitors and it they both have a coin that is the same as the token that i am using.  Ideas???

Side note - triple diamonds still have big siren light flashing.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
OK you changed the batteries. Then you got 61? Then you turned key for 61-1? Then you closed the door and turned key? Did the reels then spin right to left and stop? Is the coins played flashing? Are the reels stiff when powered on? A picture of machine turned on and what you think is ready to play would be great. Also a picture of you coin comparator. The more we see the more we can help.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
Have you checked the fuses in the lower part of machine? Make sure they are all good. The power switch inside the machine is ON, right? When you first turn the machine on do the reels spin for their initialization? And do the other lights on the machine come on, like the main fluorescent lights, button lights?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline elweedz

• NLG
didnt check fuses.  Didnt know they exist.  Can you help me out with there specific location?

Power switch-check
When i first power triple diamonds, it does spin.  Red white and blue does not.

Triple diamonds top siren is on, the flourescent wheel lights are on the top part of the machine lights are on.  The LED lights that indicate credits and such are working.  Button lights are not on.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
didnt check fuses.  Didnt know they exist.  Can you help me out with there specific location?
Power switch-check
When i first power triple diamonds, it does spin.  Red white and blue does not.

Triple diamonds top siren is on, the flourescent wheel lights are on the top part of the machine lights are on.  The LED lights that indicate credits and such are working.  Button lights are not on.

I don't have a photo of S+ machine fuses handy but found the photo that is attached below. So keep in mind yours probably looks different than this example photo below.

When fixing a machine you've never had before you will need to check all the basics and power is one of them. The 115vac comes in from your wall outlet and inside the machine it is used to power a few things like the 115v fluorescent lights. The 115v also goes to a power supply that makes the lower voltages needed by the machine such as button lights, coin comparator, reel motors to spin the wheels, etc. The power supply is protected from electrical shorts by fuses, so if any of those fuses are blown it will cause certain parts of the machine to not have power. 

The fuses are generally in the lower part of the machine cabinet. They have round caps on the top, usually black but sometimes are white. You twist the cap and remove it, the fuse is inside. Sometimes the fuses are mounted near the power ON/OFF switch. There should be a label near each fuse saying what size the fuse should be. The fuse will be a clear glass tube with a narrow filament inside. The best way to check the fuse is with a meter, but often you can tell when looking at one that it is blown.

If you can post a few photos of the inside of your machine it would help us to know what you have exactly and we can more easily help. Take a photo showing the inside of the main door, the lower area where the hopper is and the entire machine with the door wide open. Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 08:32:19 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
Here's another photo, I think this is from an S+, it shows the 3 fuses mounted on a metal box in lower part of machine. Be sure to have the machine unplugged when checking fuses. Even if the machine's internal power switch is OFF there is still electrical power in some pats of the machine that is coming in from the line cord. (if power cord is plugged into a power strip you can safely remove power with the power strip switch)

Offline Shaggy

• NLG
Roks first pic is an S slot the second is an early S+ and here is a later S+. It's under the bill stacker.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal