New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally S5500 help requested  (Read 605 times)

Offline xwarp

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • xwarp New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally S5500 help requested
« on: December 15, 2019, 11:43:29 AM »
New member here and thought it about time to post. I've read quite a few threads about the S5500 and still have questions about what I am seeing on this slant top machine that I picked up for free.

Would LOVE to get this machine going, but my patience is starting to be pushed.

I've changed out the battery with a non rechargeable and added the diode to prevent charging. Also added a switch to replace the jumper for the safe ram clear. This MPU has the ME920000 chips in it, of which I understand that the MPU doesn't require "Clear" chips.

So the symptoms are kind of random, but the one that occurs the most is the "Win Paid" and "Credit" LED display seem to be just off. Occasionally, it will display 8o88 and 8o88, (note the "o" is the top half of the segment).

MPU led sometimes flashes constantly, sometimes it's off.

Voltages are good. I've even subbed in a 5vdc supply and no changes in how the machine acts.

I don't have any spare DBV's, this unit has the 145 unit. I noted that the amber light on the coin optic board is on, but no power is supplied from it to the comparitor.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but the machine may have had the EFT board in it, but I don't know for sure and if that has any effect on the boot up.

I've looked the MPU board over, reseated all DIP's and verified nothing bent or broken. I've pulled the back plane and see nothing of concern, but I suppose cold solder joints could be a possibility.

I have the schematics and wiring diagrams for this model. Would love to put the 108 channel logic analyzer on the test points, but kind of hard to make use of that without some sort of flow chart that shows signal flow.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

Here is a short video of the machine doing more than it has so far, which was after a safeclear and back in normal mode. All dip switches are "on" and all jumpers are set according to the manual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SUFtLlZohs

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:54:17 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Bally S5500 help requested
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »
The original battery should have been a non rechargeable 3.6 volt Lithium. So I'm thinking you do not need a diode if you use the correct replacement battery. Someone please chime in here if I am wrong. It is doing some strange actions in your video. Might want to send your board to BadBaud/ Alan at KLAR and he can put it on his 5500 test unit.

Offline PinWizard

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • PinWizard New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 02:04:42 PM »
Hi,

I need the Schematics and the Wirering for my Machine.
Could you please send them to me ?

Regards,

Michael

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 10:48:28 PM »
New member here and thought it about time to post. I've read quite a few threads about the S5500 and still have questions about what I am seeing on this slant top machine that I picked up for free.
Would LOVE to get this machine going, but my patience is starting to be pushed.
I've changed out the battery with a non rechargeable and added the diode to prevent charging. Also added a switch to replace the jumper for the safe ram clear. This MPU has the ME920000 chips in it, of which I understand that the MPU doesn't require "Clear" chips.
So the symptoms are kind of random, but the one that occurs the most is the "Win Paid" and "Credit" LED display seem to be just off. Occasionally, it will display 8o88 and 8o88, (note the "o" is the top half of the segment).
MPU led sometimes flashes constantly, sometimes it's off.
Voltages are good. I've even subbed in a 5vdc supply and no changes in how the machine acts.
I don't have any spare DBV's, this unit has the 145 unit. I noted that the amber light on the coin optic board is on, but no power is supplied from it to the comparitor.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but the machine may have had the EFT board in it, but I don't know for sure and if that has any effect on the boot up.
I've looked the MPU board over, reseated all DIP's and verified nothing bent or broken. I've pulled the back plane and see nothing of concern, but I suppose cold solder joints could be a possibility.
I have the schematics and wiring diagrams for this model. Would love to put the 108 channel logic analyzer on the test points, but kind of hard to make use of that without some sort of flow chart that shows signal flow.
This is all I can think of at the moment.
Here is a short video of the machine doing more than it has so far, which was after a safeclear and back in normal mode. All dip switches are "on" and all jumpers are set according to the manual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SUFtLlZohs

A nice picture of the MPU board would help.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 08:55:25 AM by shortrackskater »
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal