New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Aristocrat loud grinding noise, homemade replacement part  (Read 982 times)

Offline gwslotting

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • gwslotting New User has no influence.
  • Covid 19 at home: Midi music #1, Slot machine #2..
Aristocrat loud grinding noise, homemade replacement part
« on: September 22, 2020, 09:00:22 AM »

Update to original post Aristocrat Atlas-Esprit Multiple questions[size=78%]

Before the machine was fired up for the first time, I had accidentally turned the reels by hand. Do not know if that caused  the problems below:

After power on,  MPU went through self check. Lights turned on. Motor does it "home" turn. But makes loud grinding noise before it stops. In play mode and Service 1 mode (door opened), it seems to run fine, and I get the same 3 "fruit" win combination a few times, and hopper pays out coins.  But each time there is the loud grinding noise when the reels stop spinning.

According to the manual, during service 1 (open door) or play mode, the motor starts the camshaft to turn, the cams reset the stopper arm, stops each reel one at a time. After all reels are stopped, the motor continues to turn until one cam at the end of the camshaft hits the "home" microswitch, stopping the motor.  The loud grinding noise has something to do with the brake process to stopping these wheels. There is no loud grinding noise when the reels are spinning.

Examining the cam shaft,  I found the "home" motor off micro switch linkage arm has completely cracked. See photo.  I don't have means to weld it back, as it is so small.  So I fabricate the entire linkage arm from scratch using slighly thicker steel plate. But the same sympton still there.  Could my hand turning the reels (not forcefully) caused reels out of alignment

Could this be related to the MPU EPROMS or other chips?
I have not done any Service Mode 2 Photo Optics Alignment, for fear of starting another can of worms.

Photo shows home-made linkage in contact with cam at the cam nose (toe), stopping the motor. But manual does not say at what point this contact should be made, right at the nose (toe) or how far before getting to the nose.

If of value of other members, I can make a Youtube video, then put a private link address to you can hear it.

I appreciate any help

Attachments and other options[/size]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:00:10 PM by gwslotting »

Offline gwslotting

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • gwslotting New User has no influence.
  • Covid 19 at home: Midi music #1, Slot machine #2..
Re: Aristocrat loud grinding noise, homemade replacement part
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 09:41:20 AM »
Update:  The entire unit finally works, the grinding noise has disappeared. I took time to fine tune the two long motor mount screws.They compressed the braking dog, spring and linkages. (see photot) When too tight, there were frequent "tilt". Not tight enough the grinding nosie returned. I adjusted the screws one quarter turn at a time. But only short lived.!! :banghead:   I played for about two hours with no issues. Next morning on power up the noise returned.

I took apart again the motor mount again but did not dismantle the cork brake pad. And I could not eliminate the grinding noise again. Possible causes (see photo)

1. Cork braking pad got grease and dirt on it again. The motor assembly was previously oiled by the seller, and added too much oil. 2. the springs holding the nylon brake dog was stressed and deformed
3. The nylon dog (see arrow in photo), only half of it was in contact with the brake stop wheel , suppose to be 100% in contact. This will cause premature wear to the nylon dog. The spring itself was pushing the dog half way out, away from the nylon brake stop wheel.  An examination of the hopper motor, same motor and brake setup, shows 100% contact.
4. Too much play when pushing the motor shaft in and out of the motor mount. Should be only 1.5mm.

All the above are just wild guess, still cannot explain where the grinding noise come from !

Could it  be caused by a glitch in the EPROM codes that caused timing to be off?  But everything works fine and payout all works

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal