New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally s9000, No touchscreen operation.  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Chevellebbc

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Chevellebbc New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally s9000, No touchscreen operation.
« on: August 20, 2023, 06:37:28 AM »
I’ve tried for days to locate a wire/board diagram for the touchscreen.  Anyone have a write up to check the operation? I’ve checked the power supply and cable. Checked the boards for visible bad caps and components. Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to rush to find a screen just to find out it’s something else. I’m stuck on this as I cannot hit the setup buttons.  Thanks in advance

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bally s9000, No touchscreen operation.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 06:45:40 AM »
Is the (DB9) touchscreen cable plugged in tight on both monitor and brainbox?  Did you calibrate it?

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 08:13:26 AM »
Appreciate the reply and forgive me as I’m still learning the terminology with this.  The 9 pin cable does carry volts and continuity on each pin from the bottom right to the input on the monitor casing.   Photo of where the touchscreen ribbon enters the board.  I looked it over and don’t see any visible damage to components. However unsure what pins the 9 pin cable goes into. It was plugged into the 5 top pin set   Machine had a bulged cap on the 12v board that is replaced now. As far as calibration, no it doesn’t recognize touch to do the calibration.  Wish I had a second working machine lol

Photo attached of the board
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 08:35:26 AM by shortrackskater »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 11:26:08 AM »
He was referring to the DB9 cable that connects the monitor's serial port (touchscreen) to the serial port on the brainbox (AKA mpu, the box where all the cables plug into and has the CF cards for the software).  These controllers do go bad on occasion, they are all over the place on ebay for about $30 to $40, just make sure you get a 3m serial type to match what you have.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 05:34:30 PM »
I’m sure this is getting a bit into a rabbit hole but this center pin is not showing continuity on the front of the screen.  Would you know if that is a no connect or does it actually connect a circuit 

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2023, 05:35:33 PM »
Close up

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2023, 05:48:29 PM »
Not sure about that.  Also I've never seen an OEM touchscreen have a touchscreen cable like that.  All the ones I've seen have been orange.  If you are not getting a touchscreen error on the setup screen, and have no touch feedback.  Check grounding, you can also check for proper grounding by touching the the screen with your fingers while simultaneously  touching a bare floor with a bare foot.  If you still get no response, replacing the controller and/or the touchscreen glass is the next step.  One thing to note, if you are not getting a touchscreen error on the setup screen, then you have the serial cable connected properly.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2023, 07:00:49 PM »
Rick, thank you for the in depth response. I will look into that.  The center pin appears to be ground.  I’ll check to make sure it’s a connect. Without a board diagram it’s hard to see just what is going on. I’d hate to spend 200$ on a screen when it’s just a bad connection.  More to come and I appreciate your help with this. 

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2023, 09:33:15 PM »
Another update… took screen apart checked connections showing good continuity so touch screen appears good. Before I try to locate the controller on the back of the monitor does anyone have a back cover off of a similar monitor to confirm the black connector coming from the db9 is in the correct spot on that board.  It appears someone was in this already may and possibly have installed incorrectly.  (Black connector w/red,green and black wires.  Photo attached

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2023, 04:33:47 AM »
If you are not getting a touchscreen communication error on your screen, it means the controller is communicating with the slot so the wires are right.  I bet if you disconnect the serial cable from the mpu, you will get a touchscreen communication failure error on the screen.  If all you have is a non-responsive touchscreen (no on-screen errors), then the problem is either the touchscreen panel or the controller's section that drives the touchscreen panel is bad.

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2023, 05:27:31 AM »
Understood, I’ll give that a go. Thanks again Rick.

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 10:27:18 AM »
Another update: with the db9 unplugged from the monitor casing I don’t “see” an error. I took a photo.  What would the error be. Small letters down the bottom or big text like the other error shown?

Offline coolwavepic

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 100
  • coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.coolwavepic Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 05:54:22 PM »
Touch screen error will show up in the blue box upon loading. Also you can hit the WHITE button on the MPU. That will take you into the Operator Menu. On the Top right of the screen will list all the errors. Do you see a Touch Screen error? If not and you still get no touch, turn the jackpot reset key twice. You should be able to CALIBRATE your touch screen. Touch the cross hairs to calibrate it. If you cant do that, like Rick said, your panel may be bad.
-------
Charles

Offline Chevellebbc

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2023, 12:13:15 AM »
Appears I have an issue with the mpu. The photo attached is with the db9 disconnected via the attendant key. Even with the db9 completely unplugged.  I’ll take a good look at the mpu tomorrow. Still unable to calibrate.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 07:52:57 AM by Chevellebbc »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal