New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: G20 V1 vs V2 questions  (Read 1287 times)

Offline firehawk618

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • firehawk618 New User has no influence.
G20 V1 vs V2 questions
« on: October 07, 2023, 12:02:40 PM »
Hi all.  I recently ended up with two G20 machines.  One is the early style and one the v2.  I have several questions and appreciate any input.  I'm thinking about swapping some parts to the V2 machine and keeping it.  I can only keep 1 of the machines in the end.  I do have the EKEY and several CPU boxes.

1.  V1 has the oled buttons.  I'd like to transfer those + the controller to the V2 machine.  Will this work?

2.  V2 I see where the pair of EEPROMS go on the board in the back.  The V1 I do not see any.  I'd like to have several CPU boxes loaded with different stuff and swap them + EEPROMS.  I'd imagine the V2 is a better setup to support this?

3.  V1 electronics vs V2.  Is one preferred over the other and why?  The V2 with the L board setup seems much easier to work on if needed.

Thanks all!

Early Version:  (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

V2 Version:  (Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: G20 V1 vs V2 questions
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2023, 01:28:57 PM »
The V2 has the controller on the pull out tray, there's an opening on the plastic face of the v2 pull out tray for the blackfin eeprom that has the firmware on it.  Have a look at your pull out tray to see if there's an chip in the socket there.  If not, you can just move the one from the v1's blackfin controller, then the OLEDs can be moved over to it.  The HDMI plug from the button deck connects to the backplane just above where the power supply plugs are located.  I believe the eeproms are SMD's on the G1's, I don't know where they are, but they would have to be there, so it is not practical to remove/install eeproms unless you install zif sockets where the eeproms are.  I have found that if you just wipe cabinet memory and then replace mpu's, you will get a green screen (or was it red) after booting telling you about the mismatch, but a turn of the reset key and the eeproms will be written with the info from the currently installed mpu and all your games and settings should be intact.  You could experiment just to be sure, but I've been able to do that for a friend who for some reason got his cabinet eeproms corrupted after a power failure.  We did a clear of the cabinet memory and the game booted into the screens where you twist the reset key and the game was up and running with his previous known configuration.  I prefer V1 hardware vs V2, because if your blackfin goes, it is easier to find and replace the blackfin on the v1's since it is just a separate device and lots of them floating around.  If the blackin goes on the v2, most likely you would have to find v2 cabinet controller assembly.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline firehawk618

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • firehawk618 New User has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2023, 03:06:03 PM »
The V2 has the controller on the pull out tray, there's an opening on the plastic face of the v2 pull out tray for the blackfin eeprom that has the firmware on it.  Have a look at your pull out tray to see if there's an chip in the socket there.  If not, you can just move the one from the v1's blackfin controller, then the OLEDs can be moved over to it.  The HDMI plug from the button deck connects to the backplane just above where the power supply plugs are located.  I believe the eeproms are SMD's on the G1's, I don't know where they are, but they would have to be there, so it is not practical to remove/install eeproms unless you install zif sockets where the eeproms are.  I have found that if you just wipe cabinet memory and then replace mpu's, you will get a green screen (or was it red) after booting telling you about the mismatch, but a turn of the reset key and the eeproms will be written with the info from the currently installed mpu and all your games and settings should be intact.  You could experiment just to be sure, but I've been able to do that for a friend who for some reason got his cabinet eeproms corrupted after a power failure.  We did a clear of the cabinet memory and the game booted into the screens where you twist the reset key and the game was up and running with his previous known configuration.  I prefer V1 hardware vs V2, because if your blackfin goes, it is easier to find and replace the blackfin on the v1's since it is just a separate device and lots of them floating around.  If the blackin goes on the v2, most likely you would have to find v2 cabinet controller assembly.

Wow thanks for the thorough answer.  That makes a lot of sense.  The eeprom is not present on my v2 and I was wondering what went there.

It seems like V2 cabinet controllers aren't too tough to come by.  I prefer the v2 cabinet over the v1.

Question on the control panel buttons.  In addition to the HDMI there's a larger plug that also goes to that blackfin board.  On my V2 when I follow the control panel wiring back it goes to a similar but much larger plug on the backplane.  I'll have to poke around more and see if there's a place to plug in the smaller plug that my v1 uses.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2023, 06:46:40 PM »
It's for the 4 standard buttons on either side of the panel (2 on each side). They use the standard player switch and light backplane connectors, so you will have to wire those 4 as well.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal