New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: 1987 IGT Double Bonus Poker Machine Help  (Read 14346 times)

Offline bohdi

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • bohdi New User has no influence.
  • NLG
1987 IGT Double Bonus Poker Machine Help
« on: December 16, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »
Hello all. This is my 1st post, and hopefully it gets me some help. Recently bought my 1st IGT Poker machine. Dated 1987, and is a Double Bonus Poker machine. This is my 1st "slot" machine. I own pinballs and work on them some, but these are new to me. Having trouble with the settings and options. CANNOT get the paytable to show up on the screen, and cannot find a way to adjust the sounds. Finally did get an overpriced manual for it locally, but it's not helping. I've trying adjusting the dipswitches etc. Was able to disable the Double Up/ Down however, but that's about it. I've tried the test button with no credits on the machine and still nothing. Can adjust cards dealt speed, background, hopper test, buttons tests etc. But have no idea how to get the paytable on the screen, and really want the music sounds when winning a hand (countup), and not the click, click, click. Any help or suggestions? Thanks in advance

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: 1987 IGT Double Bonus Poker Machine Help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 11:26:49 AM »
Welcome to NLG!  I'm sure you'll find the help here you are looking for.

But to make sure we know what machine model you have can you post a photo or two of it? One showing the outside, and another one with the main door open showing the inside. It is easy to attach photos, when entering a comment message just look under the comment message box for the "Attachments and other options" link to click on. It sounds like you may have an IGT PE+, or the previous model PE. But IGT made other video poker models too. [plus, we love seeing pictures of machines!]

Since you've tried adjusting the dipswitches it means you are ok with removing the main circuit board, called the "mpu" board. If you can take a photo of it showing the eproms (ic chips) with labels it will let us identify which game software you have in the machine. Sometimes a particular version of game software does not have certain features.

Just so you know, for a one-time (or continuing) donation to this site you get access to the NLG library which often has manuals and other documentation for a slot machine, but sounds like you have the manual already.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 11:41:58 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 12:56:19 PM »
It's "Danger 86"s Double Bonus machine who started some posts here in August. I believe he posted some pics. I will get some pictures posted hopefully by the weekend.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
It's "Danger 86"s Double Bonus machine who started some posts here in August. I believe he posted some pics. I will get some pictures posted hopefully by the weekend.

ok, here is that previous thread about the machine for folks that want to reference it. I think it was identified as a slant top PE+ machine. EDIT-there are 2 machines pictured in that other thread, the machine being asked about here is the upright.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=7723.msg41328#msg41328

Since there are photos of the machine in the other thread there probably isn't a need for you to post more, unless there is something in particular you want to show or something has changed.

Here is a photo from that other thread of the mpu board:
EDIT- this mpu is from the slant top machine in the other thread, not the upright machine
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:55:49 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »

Just wanted to add a quick note also. The CRT has burn-in of the 5 cards in a much lower position, so it's obvious the cards were much lower on the screen for years, so I assume the paytable was displayed on the screen for many years also, but there is no burn-in of the table, just the 5 cards

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 01:24:07 PM »
If you can carefully pull that pink tape off the top of the two eproms we can see the labels saying exactly what game software it has. May help if you heat the tape with a blow dryer to soften the adhesive.

From what I remember, on the PE+ machines the dipswitches on the mpu board don't do anything (except for switch #1 which sets the line power frequency selection 50hz/60hz, OFF = 60hz). On PE+ the user preferences are set thru software in the setup screens. When you go thru the setup screens is there a choice for showing the paytable on screen enable/disable? If you didn't see a preference setting for MUSIC on/off or for PAYTABLE on/off then it's possible that game software you have does not have those features.

If it is a PE machine then the dipswitches do set features, although the features may not be implemented, it can depend on the game software.

Also, someone in the past may have changed the game software, the machine may have had different eproms at one time and that accounts for the screen burn you see. Or maybe the video screen was replaced with another used one from a different machine to do a repair. We'll see what ideas others here have.

If it turns out your game software does not have the paytable feature you could look into getting a set of chips called Multi-Poker, it would run on what is called a superboard and it offers 5 different poker games, and has the features you want. EDIT- some machines won't work with a superboard.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:04:42 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • BrianT New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
You should have a 5 game multi poker set.  The CG2174 + CAPX2174 (in the photo posted) is for the multi poker set that has Bonus Poker, Bonus Poker Dlx, Deuces Wild Poker, Jacks or Better & Dbl Bonus Poker as selectable games.

Which would mean your DATA rom "should" be 1 of 4 known roms:

XM00001P
XM00002P
XM00003P
XM00006P

And no known XMP000xx PROGRAM rom has an option do disable the paytables.  If by some chance you don't have the multi poker DATA + PROGRAM rom, the good news is you only need to swap 2 roms to change into one.  So if possible let's try to see what's under the red tape.  Or if you actually have a different board, please take a hi-res photo of it and post here.

BrianT

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »
Looking at the other thread as linked to by rokgpsman it looks like you have the upright that's a Double Bonus Poker machine and the MPU (PCB) posted there and here is from the slant top which is indeed a Multi-Poker machine.  So yes, in order for us to help you out, you'll need a pic of the MPU in your machine with a high enough resolution that we can read the chips information.  Sounds like if you switched the DIPs and turned off the Double Up then you have a standard non-plus board and you have PK0xxx game rom.

That being said the dipswitches are as follows:

1: Monitor Frequency On 50Hz (Euro) Off=60Hz (Standard US setting)
2: Credit On=Credit, Off=Coin
3: Coin Accepter On=Mechanical, Off=Optical
4: Double Up On=On, Off=Off
5: Progressive  On=On, Off=Off
6&7 Max Hopper size (4 settings)
8: Show Pay Table   On=On, Off=Off

Not all chipsets enable Dip 8, even when set to Show Pay Table the actual game simply doesn't which is common for Joker Poker and some Bonus style games.

The speaker issue (if you're just getting "clicks") is 1 of 3 things: 1 Bad speaker, 2 Bad connection to speaker or 3 the sound chip and or connections to it is bad.

Hope that helps, but do post a pic of the MPU anyways.

BrianT

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 06:42:51 AM »
Ok. Took some pics last not knowing what had been posted since I left work. I am RARELY online outside work hours 6-3pm. Not sure how well any of you will able to read what your looking for. If there is any more specific you'd like better closeups of, maybe edit the pic and circle what you need to see. Here are the pics

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 06:45:18 AM »
A couple more pics

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 07:50:39 AM »
Looking at the other thread as linked to by rokgpsman it looks like you have the upright that's a Double Bonus Poker machine and the MPU (PCB) posted there and here is from the slant top which is indeed a Multi-Poker machine.  So yes, in order for us to help you out, you'll need a pic of the MPU in your machine with a high enough resolution that we can read the chips information.  Sounds like if you switched the DIPs and turned off the Double Up then you have a standard non-plus board and you have PK0xxx game rom.

Dang- looks like I got on the wrong track when you said your machine was pictured and mentioned in Danger86 postings in another discussion thread. That other thread was about his slant top video poker machine and the mpu photos were from it. So I thought you were referring to it.

The photos you just posted show part of the mpu board you have, need to see a photo of the entire board so we can see what game software is in it. Those eproms with yellow labels are part but not all of the game software.  But as BrianT said, you likely have the older mpu that only runs one game (at a time) and your preference choices are limited by the game software itself. You can remove and replace the game software chips to change games if you want to.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 08:31:01 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
Danger86 had posts for both his poker machines. Guess maybe I didn't specify which? My fault. I will try and take a "good" pic of the entire MPU tonight. Think it will be a bit hard to read, but i'll try and take some good pictures.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 08:04:58 AM »
Danger86 had posts for both his poker machines. Guess maybe I didn't specify which? My fault. I will try and take a "good" pic of the entire MPU tonight. Think it will be a bit hard to read, but i'll try and take some good pictures.

I should have made sure which machine you were asking about, thought I knew from reading thru the other Danger86 posts. Anyway, if you can post a photo showing the entire mpu board it will nail things down.

The photos you just posted of the mpu are very good and clear, but they don't show the game software chip/chips on the other side of the board. If you see a chip or two on that side of the board with labels that is what we need to see.

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »

The photos you just posted of the mpu are good but they don't show the game software chip/chips on the other side of the board. If you see a chip or two on that side of the board with labels that is what we need to see.
I will take more pics tonight. Try and get a closeup of each side of the MPU and 1 of the whole board. Hopefully that will help. Thanks for the input so far.

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 11:08:06 AM »
So you definitely have the older non Plus PE MPU board.  So with the machine on, door closed and idle mode (IE: no coin in or mid hand) turn the Jackpot Reset key.  Turns 2 through 4 should show something similar to the attached pics below.

In the first pic above the IGT copyright and year is the CG set your board has, CG534 in this case.

The second pic on the bottom portion shows the supported settings. In this case it shows the Line Freq (for the Monitor), Credit type, Coin mech type, Double up state, Progressive state, the Hopper settings but the "PAYTABLE ONSCREEN" is missing.  These values match up to the dipswitch settings as listed above in my other posting.  So the paytable setting is ignored by this game.

The third pic shows stats but the second to last line show the "personality" chip ID number.  In this case it's PK1069 which happens to be a Double Bonus Poker set.  The other value listed shows PC088 which is the build version. Builds have different features like no progressive, no paytable ect....

The final pic shows the setting page from a standard draw poker that does support the payable option as you see the line that states "PAYTABLE ONSCREEN"

I tested 2 Bonus Poker and the shown Double Bonus Poker and none of them allows for the paytable to be shown.  Sorry.

BrianT

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
BTW: The game chip is right below the battery just out view in your picture you posted.  It should be silkscreend "U58" on the MPU board.  Likely it doesn't have a label on it or I guess you would have included it.  So you can use the Jackpot Reset key to figure out the actual PKxxxx number.  Let us know.

BrianT

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »
Very nice info BrianT!

As far as his sound problem with no music or tones then he likely has a bad speaker, wiring or audio amp on the mpu board?

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »
So you definitely have the older non Plus PE MPU board.  So with the machine on, door closed and idle mode (IE: no coin in or mid hand) turn the Jackpot Reset key.  Turns 2 through 4 should show something similar to the attached pics below.

In the first pic above the IGT copyright and year is the CG set your board has, CG534 in this case.

The second pic on the bottom portion shows the supported settings. In this case it shows the Line Freq (for the Monitor), Credit type, Coin mech type, Double up state, Progressive state, the Hopper settings but the "PAYTABLE ONSCREEN" is missing.  These values match up to the dipswitch settings as listed above in my other posting.  So the paytable setting is ignored by this game.

The third pic shows stats but the second to last line show the "personality" chip ID number.  In this case it's PK1069 which happens to be a Double Bonus Poker set.  The other value listed shows PC088 which is the build version. Builds have different features like no progressive, no paytable ect....

The final pic shows the setting page from a standard draw poker that does support the payable option as you see the line that states "PAYTABLE ONSCREEN"

I tested 2 Bonus Poker and the shown Double Bonus Poker and none of them allows for the paytable to be shown.  Sorry.

BrianT
Thanks Brian. Appreciate the help. I will check later what comes up on mine to make sure. Either way, if the Paytable is not able to be displayed, IS there a way to change it? change a ROM etc.? Also, still need to know if there is a way to adjust the sounds. Get the "music" tones when cashing out, but not when winning a hand. Speaker should be fine if it works on the payout. Just cannot stand the "click" "click" "click" when adds up your winning hand. used the jackpot key to change that, but the Tones it uses are more annoying than the clicking by far. Thanks again for all the help. Do some more checking tonight.

Offline BrianT

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:20 AM »
I'm not sure there is a PKxxxx Double Bonus or Bonus poker that will show a paytable.  Just like 95% of Joker Poker games don't show paytables.  So if you REALLY want a paytable display you can change out to Standard Draw poker set.  The one that I know of that has the best payout is PK0719 at 99.5% for optimal play.

BrianT

Offline bohdi

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »
I like the Double Bonus poker as does the wife. One reason I looked for one vs a standard Jacks or Better. Prefer the different 4 of a Kind payouts. So, since my monitor has burn in with the cards much lower than there current state, I'm guessing it has a monitor from a different machine. What would it take to change it to a Standard Draw Poker set If I wanted to do that?
Thanks again and I will see what I come with and report back tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:10:49 PM by bohdi »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal