New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally E-1000 not working  (Read 4445 times)

Offline Mr. Dinoman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
Bally E-1000 not working
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »
I have a client that want me to fix his Bally E-1000 3 reel slot...It had a blown fuse and I replace it...All it does now is when you power on, the lights light, the machine makes a few clicks and the display starts with a 7 (only) on the far left of the display, then goes to 5 (only) in the far left of the display...Nothing else...Anyone have any ideas?...I did replace the ram battery...
Jimmy

Offline dhellis

• Reputation Power: 16
  • dhellis New User has no influence.
Re: Bally E-1000 not working
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
A code 7 on the far left of the display is usually a failure on the MPU board. Some times it can be just memory
but not always. I do repair these boards and if you want to send it to me I don't charge for checking it out
other than return postage. You can send me the MPU boards, reel readers, IO boards and the power supply
and I will check all of those for you and I will let you know what I find so that you can give your customer an
estimate.

If you decide to send them, I prefer that you send it with the eproms, ram board and chips so that I can test
everything as a unit.

Offline br549autosales

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.br549autosales Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:15:20 PM »
I would take dhellis' advice, he helped me tremendously on a similar machine recently, he's a top notch guy and know his stuff.

Offline Mr. Dinoman

• Sr NLG Member
  • Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.Mr. Dinoman Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
That would be great...I am supposed to hear back from my client tomorrow...If they want to continue, can you pm me your information and I will let you know ASAP...Thanks for getting back to me...
Jimmy

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 305
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
  • (shop) klar.slotrepair@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 08:42:34 PM »
You could also try removing every chip that is in a socket and cleaning their legs with a pink eraser then re-inserting.

That or sending the boards may take care of the electronic problem but if the machine has not been lubed in quite a while you may have more issues.
Let them that don't want any, have memories of not getting any.

Offline dhellis

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:52:49 PM »
You could also try removing every chip that is in a socket and cleaning their legs with a pink eraser then re-inserting.

That or sending the boards may take care of the electronic problem but if the machine has not been lubed in quite a while you may have more issues.

Good point, but lubrication is unlikely to cause an error code such as this. I have seen bad connections under the
IC's that generate the most heat. Those would be the CPU chip, the bipolar proms (U21, U25 and U29) and
the 2 8T28 chips (U7 and U8)

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
  • Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!Badbaud Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »
Ya, I have had to rebuild at least 6 RAM boards in the past year due to corrosion.

Those pins on the edge that plug into the main board headers get so much corrosion they break in half, the MPU board headers they plug into also get corroded so I replace them with gold plated headers, and the RAM chip sockets get so corroded the RAM appears bad until the sockets are replaced and the RAM pins are cleaned.

This appears to be the main problem with the older 1000 machines.

Also the power supply pins get burned and cause MPU board problems.

There is a board mod if you replace the rechargeable NiCd battery with a 3.6V lithium so the 5V charge voltage doesn't get to the non-rechargeable lithium that most people don't follow. Seen that cause problems.

I was told long ago that you could count the sockets starting with M1 as "one" and continue on to the RAM as 7 and 8. So a 7 means you "may" have a RAM problem.

Offline dhellis

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:42:56 PM »
That counting from M1 is somewhat true. When the machine is first turned on and you could see thing slow down
you would see 6 -5,6,7,8 and then the machine is ready. The 5-6-7-8 is part of a ram test but most often it goes
by to fast to see, or to fast for the display to show, it is very easy to see if you use a ram test/clear chip, yes there
is a chip for this.

The modification to use a 3.6 volt lithium battery is fairly easy, remove resistor R1 (100 ohm) on the ram board
and insert a 1N4000 diode with the band point towards the connector. On an E2000 board this would be R62.
This will prevent the 5 volts from attempting to recharge the battery. Lithium batteries will explode when hot. I don't really think this is much of a problem for home users unless they leave their machines powered up 24 x 7, but why take the chance.

What I have seen that destroys ram boards the most is battery acid leakage, it turns the connectors green and the
pins inside of the edge connector will turn green and then break. That leakage makes it near impossible to unsolder
things but a good option is to make a paste with water and baking soda, then grab the mother in-laws tooth brush
to scrub it clean, rinse and dry real good and if you have a compressor blow it dry. If the wife will allow you put it
in the oven for half an hour @300 degrees.

Offline Badbaud

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:51 PM »
Ya that paste does work, that and a brass brush on the pads before desoldering.

A blob of solder flux on a corroded pad then heating with fresh solder before desoldering also helps.

Offline Mr. Dinoman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 08:09:30 AM »
I have pretty much check all that...the chips all look shinny...I replace the battery for testing with a battery pack of re-chargeable bats and tried a clear chip...When I tried the clear, nothing happened except the seem thing- 5 then 7...The power supply check out OK...The connector going out of it was burned so I was able to bypass to get it to its current state...At this point, I will probably send the boars out for inspection...
Thank all for the information...Maybe that will help others also...When I get the boards back and the machine running, I will update...
Jimmy

Offline ramegoom

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 04:14:27 PM »
+2 for Dhellis checking your boards out. Just had one done, works great.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal