New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: My 1st IGT Slot Machine and what I have done so far  (Read 8555 times)

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 88
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
Re: My 1st IGT Slot Machine and what I have done so far
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 06:33:07 PM »
the rockinelvis, I got the Inline Amp PCB and harness. It hooked up plug and play. I got the 13 VDC power to it, (not 12 VDC, figured it should be fine, that is what is on the wiring print), input connector hooked up, output to speakers but still no sound. I have sound chips coming, will replace that and see what I have then. Used the PDF from forum I found in a post to verify wiring 1st. Used your picture of the Amp PCB.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 01:02:19 AM »
Yes, your right 13vdc and 25vdc in S2000. What "sound chips" are you talking about?
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2018, 01:32:18 AM »
I ordered 3 of the YM2413 chips. There is one on the CPU PCB (U66) that supplies the sound to the machine. Bought 3 for future use. I checked the sound circuit on may 31st and did not see any change on any of the pins from the sound chip to the edge connector that sends the sound to the speakers with my DVM. I figured even with the DC and AC checks I should of at least observed a slight change in voltage when I did the sound test. I know the signals are small voltage changes and short in duration but I saw nothing. Anyway, they should be here soon, couple days at most.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

Offline therockinelvis

• Topic Moderator
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
I don't believe that will help. I am going to give you some great advice. Remove that Green Varta battery asap. They are famous for leaking and killing the board. Just clip it off at the legs. It is what gives the "door m open" error

the rockin elvis

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:11 PM »
You are right, the sound chip did not help. The Varta battery is good and not leaking and the PCB shows no signs of leaking.  I de-soldered and removed it as I saw I don't need it for home use. I just did the clear chip a couple times and tried to make sure my settings are correct.

Every time I power up the machine I get the Display Passes Self Test, Display's NETPLEX link is down, Restart and the machine works.

After looking in the forum a lot more this is probably not good and would have been helpful if I had mentioned it before. Newbie, and learning tons.  :nerd: :no: :Scratch-Head: oops

I'm pretty sure I should not see this, but all the displays are working and test OK. The BV is enabled. The Hopper, BV and Sound don't work. Do I just have a bad MPU? The machine plays OK? Seems like everything else is working?

No sound. No sound when testing sound in the menu. Sound chip did not help.

I am able to do the Auto-configure Netplex devices after the clear chip and the BV is enabled, and I can hear a slight click. Sounds like a real quick motor/gear sound but nothing else. Next step is Spectrum Display: Not Responding. I think that is the LCD that is not installed in top box. I think that is correct - not responding.

I do the Tokenization mode and the only that shows up is - Token Value(credits) : 001   From what I have seen here on the forum and documents this is where I am supposed to be able to enable the hopper. Not an option. I can not do anything more when in the Token Mode except see the value as just stated. the Credit and Cash out buttons are not illuminated.

I have the Credit mode set at - Player Initiated (Non-Credit). I can set that to the other modes.

When I am in the Test mode in the menu and try to do the Hopper Test, turn the Reset key, it just says Coin Payout 0. I can do the Input Tests and the Output Tests and many test work. No tests of the Hopper work. (input) Hopper Motion Detect, (output) Hopper Brake, hopper Safety, Hopper Direction. Nothing happens when I press the Spin Button, nothing changes on the display. When I do the BV tests, it says test bill and alternates with bill door closed. The BV door test shows 0/1 so I believe the jumper is working.
Tony

Offline therockinelvis

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2018, 03:54:34 AM »

the rockin elvis

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
Yep
Tony

Offline ChrisColumbus

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • ChrisColumbus New User barely matters.ChrisColumbus New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
It should not detect a spectrum display. That is a progressive device that would be hooked up to netplex if it had it. That is correct for it not to detect it. I wouldn't think it should say "Not Responding" it shouldn't detect it at all.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 07:03:32 PM »

So far that's what I got. I'm wondering if I have a bad MPU. I removed the BV unit, but it looks like it still tries to install it. Will leave it out and clear/key it again. Not sure really what to do next. Thinking I should get advise on getting an enhanced PCB and chip set and sound simm if that's the best way to move forward. I can try to fix the original PCB later. Maybe just need a different MPU, but figure if I need to get the 363 chip instead of the 048's maybe I just find a good deal on a complete PCB and chip set. Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks again for the help.
Tony

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 185
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 07:17:01 PM »
When you first turn on the machine does the BV cycle for about 5 or 6 seconds? It should if power is hooked to it properly.  If it does not try removing the MPU board and then turn on the power with no MPU and see if the BV cycles when you first power it up. If it does the MPU may have a problem. If it does not the BV or the connections to it are suspect.
Rich
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2018, 07:32:25 PM »
Nothing out of the BV when powered up, green lighted bezel, no sound. When I get into the menu and do the Auto-configure Netplex devices after the clear chip and the BV is enabled, and I can hear a slight click. Sounds like a real quick motor/gear sound but nothing else.
Nothing with the PCB out of the machine and powered up.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:53:03 AM by shortrackskater »
Tony

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!qbert Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 07:57:36 PM »
Cashbox must be in place and firmly seated. There is either a  problem with the wiring or the BV transport needs to be replaced. Gear motor sound should last for at least 5 seconds. Pictures of BV transport with numbers would help
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 08:22:02 PM »
Cashbox is in correct. Here are the pics of the numbers on the BV.
Tony

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2018, 08:22:22 PM »
2nd
Tony

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »
Here is a not so good pic of BV wiring. I can do better if needed.
Tony

Offline qbert

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 08:38:13 AM »
Have you tried reseating the plugs going to the backplane board? A picture of the backplane connections would help also.

Please don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way. I know you are a tech used to troubleshooting to the part level but remember these machines are simple and complex at the same time. Until you gain enough experience on "how" the machine is "supposed" to operate I would stick to replacing full components like I/O cards, BVs. MPUs. etc. Parts are still cheap enough for these. I used to do the same thing. What is a better value, buying a $25 part and taking a half hour of my time or buying a $2 transistor and spending 8 hours of set up and troubleshooting time?  Also I'm not sure some of the choices you made when you Clear/keyd this machine aren't causing some of your issues. Much better to get it all working, then being able to take measurements on the working hardware, and then going back and fixing the broken ones at the component level for spares.

Also if you want to get the most out of the S2000 capabilities I would ditch the SS and  reel S+ chips and move to S2000 SB and SG chip
sets.
SB100215
SG000363
VS011GX0  many others also

Rich
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:56:20 AM by qbert »

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2018, 01:02:32 PM »

Rich. Your advice is greatly appreciated. I have thought about just what you mention.

I have a friend that has a Triple Triple Diamond. We were talking and he mentioned it would be great if he could change the probability payouts of the machine so it would pay something fun a little more often. I checked the web for information on that subject. Looked like a few people wanted the same thing. I thought I can do that, how hard could it be LOL.
My original purpose/thinking for purchasing a working/nonworking slot machine are as follows.
Get one to modify - take out the IGT MPU PCB. Install my electronics so I can make the machine do anything I want. Control all the components with the existing wiring as much as possible. Be able to put all the original IGT parts back in, in case I want to get out and resell the machine. Sounds like a plan.

Did very little research before I purchased the machine. Basically I checked prices for working and not so working machines. Figured I would get a Triple Triple Diamond so I could use his working machine and compare against the one I would get, plus if I got into trouble messing with it I would have a spare to troubleshoot with. As I said, very little research, so I found out there are a lot of Triple Double Deluxe Haywire Diamond thingies out there. I saw a "good looking" Triple Diamond Deluxe (close enough) without keys and purchased it without ever opening it up. It did power up, but no VFD output (display) or any other noise. I figured it was worth about $125 if I parted it out and all the parts were in it. I took a chance, I didn't know anything about the models of the IGT uprights, they looked the same to me. Probably sounds pretty familiar to about 99% of the newbies as I have spent a lot of time on here and the web. And I'm sure any veteran slot people are reading this and thinking, yep here goes another newbie slot enthusiast and he's in for a ride.

I get home and have an old key lying around and I was able to open the main door and look inside. Cool, looks like everything is here. The VFD is just unplugged, great plug it in and good to go... (thinking to myself, maybe this machine is not working and the guy I got it from, and possibly a trail of others behind him and the info about the machine just got lost in the transactions and now I have it). The display shows, RAM ERROR and NON-RECOVERABLE DATA ERROR after a bit of messing around. Started my research on slot machines and found out a lot about the one I purchased and model differences and all the good stuff. Still a bit confused/ignorant about most of it but was able to muddle through. I bought the recommended clear 97 and key 17 chips for the S2000 model. Using the info I found on how to clear the RAM ERROR, I got the machine "playing" in an hour or two. It worked! Fantastic!

No sound, no problem, just a blown speaker or wire/connection problem, I mean it's working the lights come on, it takes quarters, the reels spin, if you hit, it pays credits, it's working! Hit the cash out button, nothing, no hopper noise, no spitting of quarters, nothing but a hopper tilt. No problem just reset the machine and get the hopper working. Probably just a power or wiring issue, maybe the hopper is just flat broken. But the machine is working! Hum, not just a simply reset or door thingy. Better do some research. Yep, it's a clear/key thing. OK, I've done that. The BV does not seem to light up, later, I don't carry cash so I'll deal with that later. The machine is working...

So now I have some info from some of the NEWLIFE forum people. I'm learning I have a VISION READY machine, kinda rare, cool for me, maybe bad for parts and knowledge. Maybe it was just thrown together with a bunch of bad parts and sold to some people who want to get into working on slot machines, and I'm the next in line. LOL

So now, back to your advise. Reseating the plugs - check. I can do a pic too.

Did not want to buy the full components, at first. Figured as you mentioned I can fix the bad parts. Found out the friend's TRIPLE TRIPLE DIAMOND is probably an S or S  , MPU PCB is different. Still have not verified that yet, but it's not a VISION READY or S2000. So much for having a spare to work with.

I decided, he likes my machine, it's cooler. I don't care which slot machine I do my mod on. I'm planning on being able to do all the IGT's eventually. I'll get mine working and swap out with his and we both benefit. He plays my cool machine and I start the mod on his. Sounds like a plan.

I'm not completely comfortable with the CLERA/KEY procedure at all yet. I can get it done, but like I have read, it takes a few times. I know I'm not sure if I have all the settings correct. I think I have enough of the right settings to get the sound, hopper and BV set, that is if the units were working they should work. I could use a definitive list of the absolute right settings for my machine... reading the S2000 menu cards (the S is totally different so I know mine does not act like that in the menu setup), my machine follows a lot of them in the right order but I'm still learning, trying to understand NETPLEX, Tokenization, Credits, Communication.

So here is where I am at this point in time.

Looked on eBay for game chips, Enhanced/Upgraded 504 PCB and anything else that I would need to get my machine working the best it can. I'm not sure which PCB to purchase, I sent a PM to Jim @ Midwest asking his advise and his availability on parts, he recommended the 363 chip(s).
Here is what I am looking at: Upgrade 504 PCB with sound board and simm 024 (one eBay item), 363 chips 1 and 2, VS011NX5 version chip (another eBay item). Not sure if I would need any harnesses or other parts, so info on that one way or the other would be appreciated.
I already purchased the in-line amp and harness, but still no sound. I replaced the YM2413 sound chip on the PCB, still no sound. I installed the new driver IC in the hopper, still does not work. I have not tried to bench test again, that's why I needed the new Hopper driver IC. I know what I did and what I need to do to bench test it, but I'm at the point I believe this machine just had a few (many) bad parts. Maybe it just didn't work, and the info was lost in the previous owners. Don't want to sound like someone is pawning off machines.
As you mentioned, I should ditch the SS and S  chips and get the S2000 SB and SG chip, thanks for that info. I have tried going through the list here on the forum but I am still confused on what chips are in there. I got some info from others suggesting they are clones and would work, but do not know much else.

So far I figure I have done as much as I can with component troubleshooting with my minimum knowledge of how the sound circuit, hopper and BV are supposed to work. I've decided I'm in this project for the long haul and the least expensive slot machine purchase thing has gotten to the point that I need to get mine working the best it can, I am now going to keep it forever (modified I hope, and able to put it back to IGT original if needed?) If it costs $300 or more in parts, so be it.
FYI, I paid $160 for this one basically sight unseen, I know it powered up but took a chance the parts were inside and they were LOL.

I have a different view on money spent and time invested - I do gamble, if you haven't figure that out already, I do win but am not ahead in the long run by any means (which I'm sure we all know), so anything that keeps me away from the casino or online is cheaper entertainment (way cheaper in time spent/dollar spent ratio). So the guy who sold me the machine took it in trade for drywall work - I paid him $160 for it instead of gambling for 5 or 10 minutes, I'm already more than a month on it and only in $250 or so into it, nice ratio. So you get the picture. The more time I spend on my current project (probably the 1001st project LOL, but please don't ask my wife LMAO) the better (cheaper/ratio) I am. So time has no value to me, unless I gamble, then time eats dollars. Do I have a problem, absolutely. Has it ruined my life, not yet, it's still my entertainment. I do love working on electronics and mechanical things and figure maybe I concentrate on that one more time, maybe I spend less time actually gambling money and more time gambling my time (again). :nerd:

So in concluding this ramble: I appreciate any and all information I can get on this very helpful forum. If you read any of this and can give me detailed lists, sources to check or advise on how to get my machine running great I'm all ears (eyes). Some things I am working to understand, the hopper wiring where does it come from? Appears from the MPU PCB but not clear yet? Will look at MPU PCB prints more closely soon. Wiring diagram for entire machine, Tokenization setting, NETPLEX everything, BV everything, Top Box I'm not there yet, not interested in LCD at this time, just the sound.

Thanks for all taking their time to read and all the help. Enjoy your Slots I am.  :wave:
Tony

Offline therockinelvis

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »
I love the early S2000 Cabinet without the ear speakers. Would put one in my collection in a second. When I first saw your top box wiring my thoughts also were a Frankenstein machine. Robbed of parts then a bunch of stuff added to make it look good. As far as Vision ready being rare, not. I can take any S2000 and make it a vision. A vision monitor would do you no good unless you have all the special chips and data card for a vision. I agree with Rich about the S+ chip. It may be an older chip that doesn't support sound. I tried to tell you that back in the beginning. The link I posted about settings after a clear should have been very easy. The author spelled out every step. It explain coin-less and hand pays etc. Don't give up. As I also said, your machine was not made for an amplifier, so I suspect some thing different with the sound.

the rockin elvis

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2018, 06:36:21 PM »
Vision ready info makes a lot of sense. Thanks. I do like the 'flush side' speakers after looking at the ear style. And yes, I am not interested in the LCD top box stuff. Read the link and settings and you are right it is real straight forward and easy to do. I just have to get the sound, hopper and BV working to know what is, and what isn't right in the settings. It is really looking like I have some bad units. If it's settings, I will learn the hard way, maybe a 2X4 would help with understanding the reset/menu setup. I do understand the explanation of the settings, I just don't have the confidence yet, that I am right, for sure. I am going to get the MPU PCB 504B, 363 chips and sound board. If that doesn't get me going, I will continue to plug away. I have confidence it will with the help I got from members. I believe all the settings and menu testing are working and correct. As for the amplifier, I am pretty sure I will need it for the new parts I am getting. So far so good on parts purchases. Only have 2 spare sound chips and 2 spare hopper driver chips, that can't be all bad. So now I am in this machine for more than purchasing a working one. But, I wouldn't have had all this fun LOL. No worries.
Tony

Offline ChrisColumbus

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • ChrisColumbus New User barely matters.ChrisColumbus New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2018, 09:42:49 PM »
I finally got some energy to look in my topbox. I also have a "Vision Ready" series. They are the same but different from a true s2000. The first wiring harness was correct; however, on the vision ready series all the sound went to the lcd with a built in amp and then back out to the speakers. I honestly do not know how it would sound without some type of amp. You can use the amp but you will have to splice a few wires. I think you eventually will have the sound that you are looking for when you get everything fixed and the sound working. I do agree that this is NOT your problem, but I think you will have better sound quality with the amp in place.

On the wiring harness that goes from your top box to your amp.
white/blue + white/purple to pin that white/blue is currently on
green/blue + green/purple to pin that green/blue is currently on

The bottom row of wires on the harness green/yellow and white/yellow are actually the return to the speaker from the amp (the 2 pin connector on the AMP) to the speaker in the coin tray. Vision Ready does not support that speaker. I have a speaker there but no harness or connector. You probably have no connector there either. You would actually have to mod the lower cabinet to add a connector in. I was always happy with the sound without the tray speaker so I never cared to mod it.

Also you were asking about a spectrum display. I did add a progressive spectrum display into my player tracking area. That's what a spectrum display is. I still am not sure why your machine was saying spectrum display "not responding" Seems to me if it was not connected at all it wouldn't say that it was "not responding; however I am not sure. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:10:06 PM by ChrisColumbus »

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal