New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Strange monitor issue G20  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Slotman New User barely matters.Slotman New User barely matters.
  • NLG
Strange monitor issue G20
« on: April 29, 2021, 03:32:17 PM »
So I have a G20 roundtop top monitor and mld bottom monitor. 3.0M Brainbox.  Standard configuration.  VGA and DVI onboard.Bottom display VGA.  Plugged in to VGA works.  All is normal so far.Top monitor, DVI plugged in to DVI onboard port.  No signal.  To test the top monitor I plug in the VGA cable to the onboard VGA (bottom display) port.  Get bottom signal.  Ok, thinking maybe AD board isnt allowing DVI signal I figure no big deal.  I get the DVI to VGA adapter and get something along the lines of incompatible signal (or something like that).Thinking OK maybe its a problem with the onboard video.I install a Radeon E4690 (or whatever the number is)Of course now I have two DVI ports to work with.  If I recall when the card is installed it kills the onboard VGA so I get my DVI to VGA adapter.  Plug in the bottom display to Radeon card.  Nothing.  I know I should get it to work because I have done this on the bench many times.  Plug it in to the VGA onboard and it works (bottom monitor).
So, as anyone seen just the DVI section quit working on the top monitor and allow the VGA to work?Has anyone succesfully used a DVI to VGA adapter and used VGA for the top monitor?Can anyone tell me if the onboard VGA gets canceled out if there is a video card
Can anyone confirm what the top DVI and the bottom DVI when looking at a G20 goes to what?  For instance, top DVI port goes to bottom screen or opposite?
and lastly,can anyone tell me a configuration they have that is working?
Sorry for all the questions im just chasing my tail and trying to narrow some stuff down.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Strange monitor issue G20
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 04:38:11 PM »
I have a G20 with an MLD, but my top monitor is standard.  I have a E4690 video card with the dual DVI ports.  When you install this card the ports on the mpu are not used.  The bottom DVI port is used for the MLD monitor and the top port is for the top monitor.  That is the way I have both my G23 and G20 and they work correctly. 
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 05:07:48 AM »
I have a G20 with an MLD, but my top monitor is standard.  I have a E4690 video card with the dual DVI ports.  When you install this card the ports on the mpu are not used.  The bottom DVI port is used for the MLD monitor and the top port is for the top monitor.  That is the way I have both my G23 and G20 and they work correctly.
Thats where I am at a loss.  Neither DVI port is outputting anything but the onboard VGA is working.So you must be using a DVI to VGA adapter I assume for the the MLD display and DVI direct to the top non MLD display unless your bottom MLD uses DVI (which i didnt think they did).With what you are saying it leads me to believe that maybe the AD card is the issue and not allowing the DVI signal to work.I have another machine I can easily swap top monitors to confirm my suspicion but I was curious if anyone else had a bad AD card that would not allow only one signal to work.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 07:39:36 AM »
It is unusual for an AD card to not allow the digital signal since well it doesn't do anything to it since it is already digital.  The purpose of the AD board is to convert the VGA (analog signal) to digital so it can be displayed on the lcd (which is a digital device).  That's why a digital signal is clearer than an analog signal, since it is pixel to pixel accurate.  I'm curious to see if the other top monitor will work.  Are you certain the dual dvi card works?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:23:53 AM »
It is unusual for an AD card to not allow the digital signal since well it doesn't do anything to it since it is already digital.  The purpose of the AD board is to convert the VGA (analog signal) to digital so it can be displayed on the lcd (which is a digital device).  That's why a digital signal is clearer than an analog signal, since it is pixel to pixel accurate.  I'm curious to see if the other top monitor will work.  Are you certain the dual dvi card works?
Thats exactly why I am perplexed.  I can pump VGA through it with no problem.The VGA card is putting out signal because I can use a DVI to VGA adapter and hook it up to the bottom monitor with no problem (from the radeon).  Once I take that VGA from the bottom monitor and hook it up to the top monitor it says unsupported.Another reason I think it is not on the DVI output side is neither the DVI on the MPU or either DVI port on the Radeon card will show a picture on the DVI input of the top monitor.
Its almost like there is a bidirectional negotiation that has to happen before the MPU or GPU card starts spitting out DVI signal.
Also, when I use a DVI to VGA adapter I always use a active one with circuitry and not just a simple adapter.

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 02:56:19 PM »
After doing the swaparoo game I have determined that it is indeed the AD board that is the problem.The  AD board will allow VGA to work but doesnt recognize anything DVI. 

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 06:54:08 PM »
recapping the board will probably fix it.

Offline Slotman

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 06:49:08 AM »
recapping the board will probably fix it.
Im not sure if i have the patience or eyesight to replace all the caps unless there is a known specific few that would be the culprit.I picked up a new monitor for a decent price $135.00 so maybe once i get that i can take my time and try to recap the old one to have a spare.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal