New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: How To: Get JCM WBA 11 US flashed to 22 for Canadian Poly  (Read 7156 times)

Offline shakey69

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • shakey69 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
How To: Get JCM WBA 11 US flashed to 22 for Canadian Poly
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:25:22 AM »
I have a WMS 550 machine 1989 with a WBA-11-SS in it right now. It only accepts old US bills. I bought a WBA-22 acceptor and have software from JCM but know nothing beyond that. The flash units are apparently expensive? $350?? Are there people out there that do this or where do I stand? Thanks. I have only the one machine. Mississauga Ontario Canada area. Thanks. :Scratch-Head:

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: How To: Get JCM WBA 11 US flashed to 22 for Canadian Poly
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:10:21 AM »
There are places that provide the flash programming service and they will have the latest software to load for you. Some of the NLG supporting vendors on the home page can do this. I think one in particular that I've heard people mention is Blue Ridge Slot Service, Jim is quite familiar with all things involving bill acceptors. And there are others that also do it. The process is you ship the bill acceptor head to them and tell them what currency software you want loaded, they will put the latest and greatest in it. You will need to contact them and confirm with them your WBA model number to make sure it is compatible with the desired currency software, I assume you bought the WBA made for Canadian sized bills? US bills have a different width than our northern neighbors.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline shakey69

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:17:25 AM »
Yes the 22 should work for Canada. Is it the acceptor that gets flashed or the transporter??

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
For the wba you will need to send the transport at least.  I would send the whole assembly and ask for it to be calibrated at the same time.  Sometimes upgrading firmware will cause excessive bill rejections due to improper calibration.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:57:53 PM »
Rick, that's good to know about the transport, thought it was the head that needed s/w loading, thanks for the clarification. Do you know any place in particular to recommend for this?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
I should point out that you also need a different harness if you are coming from a WBA 11.  The harness on the back of the validator cage is different (where the validator plugs in on the back of the cage).  I would think in his case it would be easier to just buy a WBA 13/23 transport that uses an eprom, and it would be cheaper than sending his unit to have it flash and returned to him.  You can find somebody to burn your eprom a lot easier than finding someone to flash your wba.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
From the title and wording of the original post I thought he'd already bought a WBA-22 he wanted to use and it is the flash memory style. But yes I agree that if the WBA is eprom style that is much easier for the owner to update, just a chip change.

Anyway, here is another vendor (Ohio Gaming) that is part of the NLG community and they update WBA software. I can recommend Ken from first-hand experience.  See bottom of their webpage:

http://www.ohiogaming.com/wba.htm

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
I was suggesting that instead of trying to flash his WBA22 transport, that he just buy a WBA 13 transport, put the head from the WBA22 and find someone to burn him the eprom.  Probably cheaper and easier than sending the validator back and forth and getting it flashed?

For informational purposes of this thread, the transports used in US and World currency are the same, the only thing that changes is software and the head.  That is why getting a WBA13 and putting the eprom with canadian software along with the wba2x head, will work.

Offline shakey69

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 07:49:01 AM »
Excellent! Now i'm lost. I know nothing BTW. The machine presently has a JCM bill validator. The acceptor head is a WBA-11-SS and only accepts old US bills. I bought aBill Head, JCM, WBA, 20/21/22/23 for International Currency.

Now I don't know what to do next, where the eprom is? Whether that head will work with that validator? Do I need a new Cable? Can I send the validator and the new head to someone and just have be done? Thanks.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:10 AM »
Excellent! Now i'm lost. .......

Ha! I'm a little lost myself, but I'd follow Rick's advice, he has the experience to know best how to proceed.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 01:19:27 PM »
Excellent! Now i'm lost. I know nothing BTW. The machine presently has a JCM bill validator. The acceptor head is a WBA-11-SS and only accepts old US bills. I bought aBill Head, JCM, WBA, 20/21/22/23 for International Currency.

Now I don't know what to do next, where the eprom is? Whether that head will work with that validator? Do I need a new Cable? Can I send the validator and the new head to someone and just have be done? Thanks.

Post a picture of what you purchased and I will be able to tell you exactly what your options are next.  I will also need a picture of the validator transport, upside down, so I can see the controller PCB that is in it to determine what kind of transport you have.

The other issue you may run into is that since you have US software on your machine, changing the validator to something NON-US may give you issues with incorrect country codes.  I have never tested an international validator on a US WMS550 machine.  I know in Bally Alpha, you will get the mismatch error and the game won't work.

Offline Los Pollos

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Los Pollos New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 02:31:03 PM »
Check your messages, PM Sent

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 03:45:49 PM »
Check your messages, PM Sent

Hope you can post those pictures here... a few of us are watching and I'm a little rusty on bill validators. Thanks!
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »
I think it's time to start a new thread regarding WBA validators.  I thought there was one that explained the differences and compatibility.  I will have a look at the validator forum to see if there is one, if not I will start a "All you ever wanted to know about the WBA line of validators but were afraid to ask"

Offline Los Pollos

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Los Pollos New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »
I think it's time to start a new thread regarding WBA validators.  I thought there was one that explained the differences and compatibility.  I will have a look at the validator forum to see if there is one, if not I will start a "All you ever wanted to know about the WBA line of validators but were afraid to ask"

Here you go.........

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=23835.0;wap2

JCM Tech:
 There seem to be a lot of questions about the WBA line of validators, so let me help clear this up a bit.

The WBA was produced in 4 models using 2 different heads. Due to gaming regulations, the validator was produced in both EPROM and flash memory configurations.
Odd numbers are EPROM, 11/ 13/ 21/ 23, and even numbers are flash 10/ 12/ 20/ 22.

The first models were One Meg and handled all notes $1, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100, in all four directions. When the Feds decided to change the design of the notes, (large portrait) there was not going to be enough room in the memory if this was going to continue in the future (and it was, Next Gen colored notes) so they redesigned the CPU for a Four meg program.

So there are 4 different CPUs, 1 Meg flash, 1 Meg EPROM, 4 Meg flash and 4 Meg EPROM

Flash                    EPROM         Connectors to harness       Validator to frame

One Meg program          10/20                   11/21            2 pin, 4 pin, 5 pin             12 contacts

Four Meg program          12/22                   13/23            20 pin                             20 contacts

The software determines which head you need.

The difference between a 10/ 11/ 12 &13 and a 20/ 21/ 22/ 23 is the head. And contrary to popular rumor, there are only two types of heads. If the first number of the model is a '1' (10/11/12/13) then the head should have 3 mag sensors and if the first number is a '2' (20/21/22/23) it will have only one mag sensor, but 2 extra optical sensors. The '1' model (3 mag sensors) is used in the US, Japan and Australia. These country's use Magnetic counterfeit protections and JCM used 3 mag heads to take advantage of the extra security feature. Most other countries use intricate designs and several colors if ink as a counterfeit deterrent so JCM chose extra optical sensors. Although the head may have a label that says WBA 10 or WBA 12, that only tells you what the head was attached to when it was produced. All heads that have 3 Mag sensors will work in a WBA 10/ 11/ 12 or 13. If it only has One Mag sensor, then it can be used in a 20/ 21/ 22 or 23.

If you have a WBA 10, 11, 20 or 21 and want to upgrade to a 12, 13, 22 or 23 you only need to replace the CPU, the internal harness to the frame and the frame to MPU harness. JCM actually sold a kit to do this upgrade.
The advantage to a 12 or 13 is that JCM quit updating software for the 10 and 11 in 2006 so the 12/ 13 has all the next Gen notes.

The next big difference is the motors used in the transport. The original 1 Meg units had a motor with a green strip on the label. Later a more robust motor with a little more torque was used and that one has a red stripe on the label. Both will work fine, but if your unit has the green label motor, it was made prior to 2004
and the motor may be a bit week.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal