New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Dotmation big bang piggy bankin  (Read 16630 times)

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Dotmation big bang piggy bankin
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »
New to this. How do i calculate a 16 bit checksum? Thanks

the eprom burner does it for you when it reads the eprom.

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline newkid3

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »
Yeah just did that. I have both boards from the other machine in BBPB now. Jumpers are the same. Everything is the same as sound goes also. Missing sounds. Anymore ideas please. Thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Did you try to change out the IO board? If I read correctly you changed out the CPU board. The IO board has been known to cause a lot of quirky problems and is a very easy change.

Dale
yes, and the I/O board has the sound circuits, so it could be responsible for this problem.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline newkid3

• newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.newkid3 Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 01:38:30 PM »
rokgpsman ok thanks

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 01:39:36 PM »
You have another dotmation machine, the Magic Lamp right? I'd use it to figure out what it takes to fix the Big Bang PB machine.

First I'd prove that the sound roms you are using are ok. With a problem like this don't assume anything is ok. You still don't know for sure if those Big Bang PB sound roms you are using on both CPU boards are ok. If they are bad they'd do the same thing in the cpu board from the Magic Lamp machine, right? You can figure that out by checking their checksum with an eprom burner. Or get another set of BBPB sound roms.

Or you can put your BBPB cpu board with BBPB sound roms into the Magic Lamp machine and do whatever it takes to let the machine boot up, then test the BBPB sounds in that machine with the Diagnostic/Setup switch. If you get the same sound problem there in the Magic Lamp machine then that points to the BBPB sound roms. But if the sounds work ok then something else in the BBPB machine is causing the problem, can be found with further troubleshooting.

Did you mention earlier that you have access to an eprom burner?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »
Yeah just did that. I have both boards from the other machine in BBPB now. Jumpers are the same. Everything is the same as sound goes also. Missing sounds. Anymore ideas please. Thanks

That proves that the cpu board and I/O board are ok. Still doesn't prove the BBPB sound roms are ok.

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »
I have switched everything around all that i can. I am going to read the sound eproms and see.

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »
Ok. My checksum readings for U17- 0118E0A2
                                                        U18- 011B803F
                                                        U30- 011710FA
                                                        U31- 011A3845

they are not the same as what was posted earlier.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 03:44:58 PM »
All checksums on these chips end in 00. Make sure you are using the right checksum algorithm. It should be Checksum-16 and not CRC-16, having  8 digits you are probably doing a CRC-32 calculation. 
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »
Your eprom burner may use a different method to calculate a checksum, there are different ways to do it and they can produce a different checksum even on the same eprom. A common method simply adds up the data (number) stored in every location in the eprom to get a grand total, then keeps only the right hand 4 digits of the answer. This is considered good enough for most uses, but there are more elaborate checksum methods. The WMS checksum info I posted earlier uses this method. Maybe you have a setting in your eprom burner software to select which checksum method is used, information about it might be listed under Help. What eprom burner are you using?

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2015, 05:39:42 PM »
My burner is a GQ-4X. this big BBPB board has M27c1001 eproms on it.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »
My burner is a GQ-4X. this big BBPB board has M27c1001 eproms on it.

That's your checksum problem, the sound chips should be 27c040 or equivalent like a 27c4001. You probably selected the wrong device type on your eprom burner.

A 27c1001 is the same as a 27c010, that is the wrong chip for the sound eproms. Are you sure the sound eproms are 27c1001? If they are 27c040 or equivalent then select that device type on the GQ-4X and read them again.

The only 27c010/27c1001 eprom on the Big Bang PB cpu board is the one at U2. The sound chips U17, U18, U30, U31 are all 27c040 type or equivalent.

Also, the GQ-4X uses a compatible checksum method to those checksums posted earlier in this thread, I've used that prom burner myself. Just use the right-most 4 digits of the eight it shows.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 07:41:24 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 08:00:36 PM »
A pic of the dotmation board

I was taking a closer look at the photo of your dotmation controller board and it looks like the eprom XU4 is not plugged into its socket very straight. Might be the camera angle or a reflection but you should check it and the eprom near it just to be sure. When inserting these 2 chips it is tight getting your fingers in there, someone may have pressed them in and hoped for the best.

Also, the jumpers JP1, JP2 near XU3, XU4 and JP4, JP5 near XU10 on my dotmation controller are set different to what you have, see photos below. You could try changing them to my jumper settings to see if that fixes the sound problem, especially the sound problem during the dotmation bonus animation. I don't have any documentation on how to set these dotmation controller board jumpers, so not sure of their function. Often when near an eprom the jumper is for selecting the capacity size of the eprom, like 8mb vs 4 mb for example. If changing your jumpers does not fix the problem then it is probably best to put them back the way they were.

EDIT- after doing more checking I found that some dotmation games like my Perfect Match use larger capacity eproms on the dotmation controller board, that's why the jumpers are set differently. That means your Big Bang PB jumpers are probably ok where they are, set to 1-2 on JP1, 2, 4, 5.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 10:53:46 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
I read the chips again. I made sure of what each chip is and then read it. Here is what i got.
U17 0000  chip am27c040
U18 0c00  chip m27c4001
U30 5d00  chip am27c040
U31 8400  chip m27c4001

Dotmation
U03 1a84  chip am27c040
U04 5f4a  chip am27c040

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 03:23:40 PM »
I dont want to replace them if they are good

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2015, 10:59:12 PM »
I read the chips again. I made sure of what each chip is and then read it. Here is what i got.
U17 0000  chip am27c040
U18 0c00  chip m27c4001
U30 5d00  chip am27c040
U31 8400  chip m27c4001

Dotmation
U03 1a84  chip am27c040
U04 5f4a  chip am27c040

That's your problem.

Those are sound eproms for the Piggy Bankin' dotmation game, not the Big Bang Piggy Bankin'.  It's like I suggested to you back in reply #8 and #12. Your dotmation eproms and the cpu eproms xu2 and xu3 are the right ones for Big Bang PB. But someone put in the wrong sound eproms U17, U18, U30, U31. Since you have an eprom burner should have checked the sound eproms way back when. Was there a reason you didn't use your eprom burner to check the eproms when it was suggested, a couple of us giving advice had suspicions about the sound eproms due to the way they are marked. Come on man, you have an eprom burner, it just takes a few minutes to read an eprom and see if its checksum is correct.

Thread Reply #8
On the sound roms U17, 18, 30, 31, two of them are nicely labeled, the other 2 are not. Looks like different times or different people have maybe worked on it? Why else would 2 of the sound eproms not be labeled when the others are? That raises my suspicion that the problem could be with the sound roms, not sure.

Are you aware there is an earlier similar WMS domation game called "Piggy Bankin'". It has similar but different software eproms. Any chance some of them got swapped into this machine by mistake? Do you have an eprom burner where you can read the sound roms and list the checksums for us to check?

Thread Reply #12
Not sure, if the sound eproms work ok in Test mode then it would seem they are ok. We'd just like to confirm they are the right sound eproms and can't the way they are labeled. And the ones that are labeled say Piggy Bankin', not Big Bang Piggy Bankin', so someone unfamiliar might have burned & stuck in the wrong sound roms for that other model of game. Since the games are so similar they may sorta work.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:22:32 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2015, 12:06:56 AM »
The reason is i am new to this. I did not even know that the burner gave a checksum when you read a chip. I asked this back in reply number 38. "New to this. How do i calculate a 16 bit checksum? Thanks" heck i thought it was some formula. all i have ever done with it was burn a couple of chips for a pinball machine. That is why i am here asking for help. This is my first slot machine like this. I have had more mechanical ones before. Give me an em pinball with a thousand switches and 100 relays and miles of wire and i am right up town. I would have never thought the sounds would have worked at all with the wrong ones. I just did not know. Sorry for my ignorance. The one main thing that thru me off was in test mode everything work as far as sound goes. Ok so on the dotmation eproms does what my eprom burner say they are correct? If so why do the sounds not work when i go into bonus rounds like the one where it spins and stops and keeps doing that until you hit a bomb. I dont even get a peep like i mentioned earlir. Or does those sounds come from U17 U18 U30 AND U31. I dont know. When i got my first car i had no idea how to rebuild an engine. Now i am in the middle of a complete restore on a 69 camaro SS. 

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2015, 12:28:31 AM »
Install the proper set of Big Bang PB sound eproms U17,18,30,31 and your problem will go away.

Offline newkid3

• NLG
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2015, 07:15:39 PM »
Ok can you tell me are the dotmation eproms of mine that are labeled BBPB v1.01 the standard version or are they elvis. I can get a set of sound eproms for u17 18 30 31 but they are BBPB v1.00. Will these work with the dotmation eproms i have or would i have to use the BBPB v1.00 dotmation eproms also. These are mine.
Dotmation
U03 1a84  chip am27c040
U04 5f4a  chip am27c040

Offline dale

• Reputation Power: 22
  • dale New User barely matters.dale New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
The 3 coin Elvis Pig BBPB is a Standard Jurisdiction ( no jumpers), 90%. The 3 coin without Elvis is Nevada Jurisdiction ( 6-11 and 8-9) 92%. Not sure what the checksums are but maybe this could help.

Dale

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal