New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Triple Diamond upper display issues  (Read 1918 times)

Offline LongJohns

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • LongJohns New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Triple Diamond upper display issues
« on: June 17, 2023, 06:34:18 AM »
First off - hello all - newbie alert. :)

First IGT S+ machine (well actually first slot period) - but a long time arcade/pinball/juke collector.

Recently picked up a Triple Diamond slot with the bottom row of top displays not functioning correctly. I went through the machine cleaning it and I installed truficon pins on the power connector. Reseated the boards and connectors on the top displays, but it seems the right 4 displays have some issues when displaying red.

To me, this is either a problem with the LED or driver IC? Maybe something else? I don't seem to be able to find a schematic for these displays.

Any suggestions?

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Triple Diamond upper display issues
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 12:08:56 PM »
Hello and welcome to NLG.

:NLG_WELCOME:

I have never seen a Megabucks machine in the wild. That's a nice looking game you have there.

Are you referring to the progressive displays that are behind the top glass? On most S+ machines, those were typically Mikohn ChamII+ progressive meters, but with your machine being a Megabucks machine it might be something different.

Are you able to provide any additional pictures, such as where the wires that lead to the progressive displays go to? Also, out of curiosity, can you post the chip numbers of the SP and SS chips on your MPU board?
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline LongJohns

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 04:50:22 PM »
Ok, I ended up moving the LED blocks around, so the display is better now - not perfect, but better. The only way would be to replace them.

As requested here are some pictures. Also the wiring for those displays go to a power supply and some circuit board in behind the assembly that holds the 2 florescent tubes. The wiring connector on the far left of the main CPU boards feeds up to the board attached to the power supply. A ribbon cable then feeds both the top and bottom display (daisy chained).

That being said, new problem - the coin comparator seems flaky - sometimes it takes coins no problem other times it just rejects them. I am going to replace the pot on the board as the PO kind of destroyed the adjustment part by not seating a screw driver properly. That being said, I am sure the green LED us to be lit all the time and it is no longer (or am I mistaken). The part number on the coin unit is CC-160 (if that matters).

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 06:29:24 PM »
Okay, that looks like an IGT Spectrum display controller for the progressive meters. I'm not really familiar with them, but you might be able to get it to function as a stand-alone progressive.

Do your reel strips have the Megabucks logo on them, or just the Triple Diamond logos?

Based on the handwriting on the REEL chip, I'm guessing you just have a standard Triple Diamond chip in there. You can determine the actual chip number by following the guide here.

Adjusting the potentiometer in the Coin Comparitor would be the first suggestion to make it less likely to reject coins. I'm sorry to hear that the previous owner made that difficult to do. Of note, your Comparitor is a model CC-16D (not 160).

The LED on the Coin Comparitor is only lit when it is enabled (only when the machine is ready to accept a coin). As such, you'll typically never see it lit up when you have the door open as the machine will not accept a coin unless it detects that all of the doors are closed.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline LongJohns

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 07:12:29 PM »
Hi,

No, there is no MegaBucks on the reels - so just the standard one I guess. My unit doesn't have the self test button near the power switch - actually none that I can find. Doesn't even look like there was one installed there (no cutout). Normally I just pull the EPROM and compare it to a BIN file, but looks like there is no repository of these anyplace on the web unlike arcade and pinball games. ;)

I will see what I can find on the IGT Spectrum display controller and see if I can get it to function on it's own. But I pretty much assumed from the start that these might just read 0 all the time. :)

Thank you for the info on the coin acceptor, I can adjust it, but think it is just in bad shape overall. I did order a replacement control from Digikey, so will install it once it arrives and go from there. At times it seems to work just fine, other times it seems like I have to try the same coin a few times for it will accept it.

edit: a quick look, I am not sure it is a Spectrum display controller - the back of my displays is completely different (have to get a picture) - but the display are mounted 90° to the driver boards. The pictures I have seen in the Progressive pages are mounted perpendicular to the displays.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 10:58:36 PM »
The slot manufacturers (and their lawyers) are extremely protective of their intellectual property, even for ancient machines, and that's why there isn't a repository of files anywhere.

Look (or more realistically, feel) on the back side of the power switch enclosure for the Self Test button, it's likely hiding there. Your machine has to have one somewhere.

I was guessing a Spectrum display based on one of your pictures.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2023, 10:03:48 AM »
My unit doesn't have the self test button near the power switch - actually none that I can find. Doesn't even look like there was one installed there (no cutout).

Did you feel up behind the power switch box, under the topbox, for the Test button?
Sometimes IGT put them behind there.

Also, if your MPU is older, it could be located on the left wall of your cabinet.
The Test button can be on the front of the MPU enclosure box - just above the door harness connector.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline LongJohns

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 05:55:09 PM »
Ok, I finally got back to this.

Found the test button - it was on the backside of the power switch.

Numbers that are displayed:
00 1271

I also got some better pictures of the progressive displays circuit boards. ;)

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 11:04:26 AM »
I have the that whole two-part display with the lighting brackets and all.
I think I did a whole topic on it back on the old forum about 12-15 years ago we had before we moved to the new NLG.
Do I remember how to set t up? Nope...that was too long ago.

There were only a few S+ games that used two progressive displays.
They would be listedin the Bible on the homepage.
I do know that there was some documentation on how to set them up.
I'm going to assume it's in a PSR sheet as well or in the NLG File System.
What SP chip does the machine have in the GAME PROM socket? SP1271?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 11:22:03 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline LongJohns

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 06:30:30 PM »
I do know that there was some documentation on how to set them up.
I'm going to assume it's in a PSR sheet as well or in the NLG File System.
What SP chip does the machine have in the GAME PROM socket? SP1271?

Yes, it is SP1271.

From what I gather from the SP sheet:

I would press the self test button 2x to get to the page 0 options (the number zero appears in the Coins Played window.  Then, turn the jackpot key to get to option 31 (11x looks like?) so the number 31 appears in the Winner Paid window.  Then press the "Spin Reels" button, so that the number 3 appear in the credits window.

Press the self test button one more time to "lock in" your settings, and then close the door.

However it looks like I will need a SET chip to do this? Would this be a good set to have? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/254174584867
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 07:32:48 PM by LongJohns »

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 05:27:58 AM »
Yes, that's a good set to have.

Canadian ebay?
Several days per week, I'm out near Montreal.

Offline LongJohns

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2023, 08:33:33 AM »
Yes, that's a good set to have.

Canadian ebay?
Several days per week, I'm out near Montreal.

Yep, Canada - but the good part, not that eastern part. ;) lol

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 167
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!

Offline jonbbrew

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.jonbbrew Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2023, 03:32:52 PM »
How about throwing me some positive KARMA love by clicking on the left!

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal