New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: BB1 button bulbs  (Read 883 times)

Offline ScottyK

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • ScottyK New User has no influence.
  • NLG
BB1 button bulbs
« on: May 20, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »
Can someone please confirm for me what voltage these button bulbs should be?  I was under the impression that they were supposed to be 6v.  I replaced all of my bulbs with some that I purchased from Spin, Inc. back in February, and recently, one by one, they have been burning out.  I've since replaced them with some extra 12v that I have left over from my GameKing resto, and those seem to be just as bright, if not brighter, than the 6v.

Just wondering... :Scratch-Head:

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: BB1 button bulbs
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
I have 3 bb1's with leds in buttons.  They are all 6v and have been there for at least 4 years without needing to replace a single bulb.  So you might have gotten a bad batch?  If 12v are working for you, then use them.  It certainly doesn't hurt.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:19:01 AM »
LEDs are different from incandescent lamps....they need a certain amount of voltage to get to a certain brightness of candlepower.
Some require less wattage to get to that point of brightness....some need more...there are many variables.
However, some lamps, if they burn out too soon, it's because they had too much voltage, burned too bright and burned out the filaments.

Most incandescent lamps have numbers imprinted on the glass that will allow you to look up its' ratings - LED numbers are usually imprinted on the body.
LEDs also have resistors built inside the body that have different specifications to control the voltage going to and thru the filament.
It's best to use what the gaming manufacture specifies in their manual.
Sending too much voltage and amperage to the lamps can burn out circuit traces on motherboards.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline ScottyK

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:32:03 AM »
Sorry I should have specified that the bulbs in question are LEDs.

What I have been finding in most of the bulbs that have burned out is a brown, melted spot on one side.  I'm going to assume that this is where the resistor is located, and the spot is the result of too much heat being generated.

I thought that I saw somewhere that the bulbs to be used in a BB1 were supposed to be 6v, but I could be wrong.  I guess I'll have to try and find that again.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 410
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »
Yeah...if brown and melted, that's way too hot.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 241
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 07:37:36 AM »
Sounds like yet another faulty batch of led bulbs from china.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 07:53:19 AM »

What I have been finding in most of the bulbs that have burned out is a brown, melted spot on one side.  I'm going to assume that this is where the resistor is located, and the spot is the result of too much heat being generated.

I thought that I saw somewhere that the bulbs to be used in a BB1 were supposed to be 6v, but I could be wrong.  I guess I'll have to try and find that again.

Just below your original post, I posted that all my BB1's are using 6v LEDS for at least 4 years with no burnouts.  You probably had a bad batch.  There's no harm in using 12v leds either, but the original specs call for 6v bulbs.  The original incandescent bulbs are #86 rated at 6.3 volts.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline ScottyK

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 04:14:08 PM »

Just below your original post, I posted that all my BB1's are using 6v LEDS for at least 4 years with no burnouts.  You probably had a bad batch.  There's no harm in using 12v leds either, but the original specs call for 6v bulbs.  The original incandescent bulbs are #86 rated at 6.3 volts.

I apologize; I did not see your post.

Sounds like yet another faulty batch of led bulbs from china.

That sounds to me like this is something that has occured before?  I guess I should go looking for some higher quality LEDs.

As always, thank you all for your help and guidance.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 04:24:26 PM »
I bought mine from suzo happ back in the day.  These are the ones I bought, though 4 years ago, not sure if they are the exact same manufacturer.

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/lighting/91-5WB-61W2

I also have some of these on one of my button panels.

https://na.suzohapp.com/products/lighting/161-205059

The only issue with suzohapp is what we call the "mystery shipping" you place the order and later they tell you how much they charged you for shipping.  There's also a minimum order I believe, though it's been a while since I ordered anything from them, so things might have changed for the better.

Offline ScottyK

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 11:29:58 AM »
Well, after several more of my 6v LEDs burned out (it was getting to be an almost daily occurrence!), I decided to do a little searching on replacements that wouldn't be costing me too much, and also wouldn't have to worry about "mystery shipping" charges.  I found something that isn't too costly and might work out just fine.  I found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LVFIVT0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are SMD LEDs that are being sold as replacements for instrument panel lighting in automobiles.  They certainly seemed the correct size to me, and although they are rated as 12v, for $5.99 for 10 of them, I figured I'd give them a shot.

I put them in yesterday, and here are the results (see attached photos):

The one thing that I will say is that they are indeed bright, compared to the other LEDs.  I know that sometimes it's hard to get a true sense of brightness differences through photos on a computer, but the photo with the Rebet and Cashout buttons either end, which still have the 6v in place, give you a pretty good idea of the difference.  Now brightness may be an issue for some, so YMMV.  Also, on some of the bulbs I found that I needed to bend out the contacts so that they would touch the contacts inside each bulb holder, but I think that might need to be done with just about any type of bulb, to be honest.

Anyway, I just thought that I would present another alternative for anyone interested.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 11:47:00 AM »
Looks good.

Offline The laneman

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.The laneman Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 03:26:01 PM »
I got a batch in recently from spin also with the same problem.They lasted a day and quit.I lost 3 out of 13 SO FAR.May be a bad batch like everyone is sayingIf I lose any more Im calling Spin for some replacements.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal