New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: BB1 Smaller PSU Pinout  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Eddiie

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
BB1 Smaller PSU Pinout
« on: May 16, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
I made a picture last night of the BB1 PSU connector that leads to the backplane.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:24:36 PM by Eddiie »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: BB1 Smaller PSU Pinout
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »
It is Power Good.  Here's the schematics for the power supplies on the bb1.

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Eddiie

• Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...Eddiie Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »
Cool thanks.

I found that the ground for the 15V were not connected to the other grounds.
My picture shows this, their's doesn't.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »
Wait.  Are you sure that is right?   It shows +24v on pins  I found 5V on..

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »
I think you are right, the 24 volts only comes from the secondary power supply.  Must be a mistake on their documentation (you would think it was vetted correctly).
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
I have compared the BB1 PC-type PSU connector to the pinouts of P4 on a BB2 Power supply and they are exactly the same,

It seems this cable should already exist.  And the 5Vi cable must already exist (J32 on backplane).

The remote power switch I bought off eBay.  Too easy.

The pinout is in the BB2 manual at the end.. the diagrams.

The 24v connector already exists, will confirm the pins next.

Anyone want to test it for me when I am done?  lol

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 08:03:15 PM »
The 24V connector is exactly the same.

Ordered the 5Vi connector/pins on the PSU side and connect to pins 1 & 2 to on J23 backplane pins 1 & 2 (connector provided by the BB1 PSU) and the AUX connectors.

Next, figure out if the old 24 v power supply from the back of the cabinet can be removed and the BB2 PSU can mount there..

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 07:03:21 PM »
Parts arrived...
Straight-thru cables made (thanks Buzzarama for the parts!)
I plugged it all in to a bb2 backplane outside, did not connect 24v, turned it on, plugged it in to a long extension cord, eventually got the balls up to plug the extension cord in to the wall..
There was NO SMOKE!  NO POPS.     Slowly approached it and eyeballed the LEDs on the backplane and they are all happy, except 24v, of course.

I think this is going to work.

Going to try and mount the power supply to the back plate where the current 24v PSU is.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:13:56 PM »
This weekend I looked at removing the 24v power supply and mounting the BB2 PSU on to the back board.

Turns out the 24v PSU is only attached to this backboard by one screw.  Removing this screw, the PSU tilts forward and slides out.
Removing the 24V PSU is no problem.

I was planning on drilling holes in the backboard and using Flat Head (flat head?) screws to meet up with the threads on the BB2 PSU but I got lazy and decided to use double-sided sticky tape. (let the shaming begin)

Anyway, the BB2 PSU is a tight fit but it works.  Just below the speaker amp.   I'll post a pic.

Connected power from the bottom, reusing the power plug for the old BB1 PC style PSU, I have some C3 to C4 power cords.   Left the BB2 Power Switch on for now, will replace it with a new connector to bypass the switch in the coming days.

Yada yada everthing went pretty smooth.  HOWEVER there was one issue......   I lost SAS,  that is, the serial ports went dead.   

Ok, long story short, Serial power comes from the 5Vi  power.  The BBU2 PSU has 4 pins on its 5Vi output.   Evidently I picked the wrong 2.  Even though the voltmeter said 5V,  under load the 5V went to 0V.  Took me a few hours to finger it out.   Moved the pins over to the other 2 and the 5Vi stayed at 5Vi under load and Serial port / SAS works again.     That is the only issue so far.

OH, by the way, there is also a 5Vi  LED indicator/idiot light on the backplane like the other voltages... It is way down at the bottom, NEXT to the 5Vi connector. ! 

In the mail comes new 5Vi connector to fix my mess up permanently and a new hot-wire plug to replace the BBU2 power switch.

Last thing I think is to move the monitors power to the BB2 PSU.

So, if anyone has ever wondered where the power comes from on a WMS BBx serial connection... It comes from the 5Vi power and the machine works fine without it.

The quality of the wire in the PC type connector - I am using 2 x BB1 to make the harness,  the metal strands the wires are composed of are crap.  Yuck.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 01:28:44 PM »
The double-sided sticky tape failed miserably.
Looking for another solution.
For now, just re-stuck it up there and have something wedged between the psu and CPU to relieve the weight a bit.

Also made a connector to by-pass the power switch on the BBS PSU..

Offline jpeckinp

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • jpeckinp New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 01:55:31 PM »
Yeah the heat inside these things make any kind of adhesive useless. I'm looking into adding a few 200mm fans.
Current games WMS W of O Ruby Slippers, Invaders From The Planet Moolah, Jackpot Party Block Party, Lucky Penny Treasury, Great Tutankhamen, Time Machine, I Love Lucy Win it Again, Monopoly Bonus City, Monopoly Up Up & Away, Monopoly Planet Go, Gems Gems Gems.

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »
Yeah the heat inside these things make any kind of adhesive useless. I'm looking into adding a few 200mm fans.

Where are you going to put / mount a few 200mm fans?   Celeron processor, not too much going on in there.  hehe

Offline Eddiie

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2019, 08:30:12 PM »
a couple pictures added to the original post.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal