New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Trouble installing game on CPU-NXT2, can't get past loading serial_no file  (Read 1163 times)

Offline allen84

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • allen84 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
I just converted my BB1 reels to a BB1.5 machine (dual 22" with CPU-NXT2).  When installing a game, I get this error.  Cleared it a clear card, and tried a couple of other games. Same problem.

I also tried swapping both the CPU-NXT2 MPU's from my other BB1.5 machine that I own.   There are no issues in installing and loading the game. It works fine so it is not the MPU problem, as it both works fine in my other machine, because both the MPU's exhibit this issue in my newly converted machine.

I even tried putting back the CPU-NXT and did a reel ram clear, then put back the CPU-NXT2 and install the game, no go.

Here is the video of the error:

It seems to have trouble loading/inserting a file when installing.  a file that it's trying to load called serial_no.ko

https://i.imgur.com/O7UHTpk.mp4

EDIT:   See reply #17 for solution
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 12:00:40 PM by allen84 »

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
can you load and play a bb1 video theme using your old bb1 mpu?
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline allen84

• NLG

I will try it tomorrow after work, and let you know what happens.

Offline allen84

• NLG

Ok, I put back the NXT.  installed Super jackpot party.  Loaded up and played fine.  Changed the MPU back to NXT2 the same error keeps occuring.  tried installing 2 different games,  same errors.   Funny thing is when I clear the BB2 with the ram clear card, I can see it load past the the serial_no module without issue.  Green text follows next "Configuring for platform: cpu-nxt2". This is what it should say next.

But it does not happen here when installing the game and just stops at that error as you see in the video link I've provided.   I'm stumped as to what is causing this.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Do you have another backplane to try?  Or take the backplane from the working machine and put it in that one and see if it works.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline allen84

• NLG
Do you have another backplane to try?  Or take the backplane from the working machine and put it in that one and see if it works.

I don't have a spare backplane.   I do have it on my other working machine like you said. How much of a pain in the ass would it be to unplug and unscrew everything.   But I do distinctly remember that they the backplane board is 2 different colors.  One is blue, and one is green.    Could this be the cause of it?   I didn't make not of the year on it.   I have to find out when I get home.     I cant believe that this might be the problem.   

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
Trying to isolate the issue.  The green vs blue backplane does not make a difference as either one will work with a cpunxt2 mpu.  There are only 2 things that can cause issues like not booting, and if you have already discarded the mpu since it works on the other machine, then the only other thing left to try is the backplane.  The green backplanes were bb1 era, but I have not had any issues using those to run cpunxt2, although it may just be a connectivity issue where the mpu is not connected all the way.  Are you pulling on the seat/release handle to make sure the mpu is secured all the way in?

Offline allen84

• NLG
Trying to isolate the issue.  The green vs blue backplane does not make a difference as either one will work with a cpunxt2 mpu.  There are only 2 things that can cause issues like not booting, and if you have already discarded the mpu since it works on the other machine, then the only other thing left to try is the backplane.  The green backplanes were bb1 era, but I have not had any issues using those to run cpunxt2, although it may just be a connectivity issue where the mpu is not connected all the way.  Are you pulling on the seat/release handle to make sure the mpu is secured all the way in?

After pulling out and replacing the MPU 3x already, yes, I make sure the MPU is secured, push down hard and stuff and made sure the latch is pressed down to hold it in place.    The clear card runs and clears fine without issues.   Just can't install any 13.xx os games,   I haven't tried OS 9.xx, and games yet.   Do those work with NXT2?

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
Yes, OS 9.x games are also bb2 games.

Offline allen84

• NLG
Yes, OS 9.x games are also bb2 games.

I've tried out:

Kingdom of Titans 9.22 (using 9.23 OS) - works!

Dean Martin's Wild Party E1.11 - works!

I've also tried both clear cards SCLR-000-1800 & 1810, clearing the machine with each card.   

I've tried, Ruby slippers, Rome and egypt,  double reel rich devils,  (using 13.15 OS, and 13.34).    Nothing,  it does not get past that loading serial_no file.

My other working BB1.5 machine has a green copyright 2002 backplane.   And, my newly converted BB1.5 has a blue copyright 2006.   (Weird, that the oldest year 2002 backplane can load the 13.xx no problems,  but the year 2006 can't.   :Scratch-Head: ) I will try swapping the backplane probably as a last resort on the weekend, if I have time,  it seems to be too troublesome to attempt this late in the night.

I do have an old BIO's chip and a JUR chip on a 3rd dead CPU-NXT2 MPU from a few years ago, I found in my storage that I forgot I had.   Would the BIO or/and JUR be the cause of the problem??   I'm going to try and switch those tomorrow to see if that  MIGHT fix it, as I remembered it playing 13.xx games a few years ago when I got the machine.

Rick, how do you recommend removing that square BIOS chip?  I can't seem to find a youtube video of it.  I most likely don't have a tool for this, and will have to resort to a nonconventional method of extracting it. What is a safe way of doing it?

Thanks, for all your help so far, Rick.

Offline iramack

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.iramack Is working their way up.
  • NLG
BIOS or RAM issue perhaps??

How much memory and which BIOS are you running?

SM

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
I don't think it is a bios issue because it works in the other cabinet.  The green vs blue backplane might have some merit, although I've never heard of green backplanes not running family 13 games, in this hobby, you can never rule anything out.  I would try a blue backplane on the machine, I know it sucks to unplug everything and unmount the backplane assembly (you have to remove the entire metal backplate with it, it is much easier that way than trying to remove the backplane with the metal plate still inside the cabinet).  I can't think of any other thing to try, since we already know the mpu works fine in the other cabinet.

You should have spare backplanes anyway, while they are easy and cheap to get.  Once parts dry out, prices climb astronomically.  Just look at how much an alpha 2 mpu goes for now.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
I threw in a different 2GB RAM card. for the heck of it...for some reason, I was able to load up Ruby Slippers using a green bulkhead board I had laying around.

However, I must point out, the game loaded up fine before with a blue bulkhead...I don't know if this will help you or not.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline allen84

• NLG
BIOS or RAM issue perhaps??

How much memory and which BIOS are you running?

SM

2GB.    I'm assuming it's the versiom 3000 bios.  Can't really tell,  is there a way to see on the screen boot up or anywhere else?

Offline allen84

• NLG
I threw in a different 2GB RAM card. for the heck of it...for some reason, I was able to load up Ruby Slippers using a green bulkhead board I had laying around.

However, I must point out, the game loaded up fine before with a blue bulkhead...I don't know if this will help you or not.

Swappeed the 2GB ram from other machine.  Nothing. Still the same problem. Can't install any 13.xx games.    But installs E.11,  9.xx fine.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:53:24 PM by allen84 »

Offline allen84

• NLG

I'm going to change the bios and jur chip as my next step to try that.   After that, I will try swapping backplane.

What about the SPN distribution board?   My working bb machine has a one. A smaller one with with 2 ethernet ports labeled spin in and spin out.   The newly converted machine has a different looking board. It has 5 ethernet ports.   Could that be the cause?  Probably not.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:52:40 PM by allen84 »

Offline allen84

• NLG
So I was just about to swap the backplanes,  and I discovered another problem.  Not sure, if this was already like this, but I noticed the U7 chip (right beside the word "Audio Out")  is basically dangling on 1 leg, it seems to have almost detached off the board.  :banghead:   Does anyone have the schematics of the backplane or know what the U7 chips function is?     Now, I'm gonna have to try to fix it by soldering back it on, it is so damn tiny.

Offline allen84

• NLG
So I was just about to swap the backplanes,  and I discovered another problem.  Not sure, if this was already like this, but I noticed the U7 chip (right beside the word "Audio Out")  is basically dangling on 1 leg, it seems to have almost detached off the board.  :banghead:   Does anyone have the schematics of the backplane or know what the U7 chips function is?     Now, I'm gonna have to try to fix it by soldering back it on, it is so damn tiny.

When I took out the backplane, It was easier to see what the chip was.   It had a part number of a DS2401 labeled on it.   So I did some googling and I found out it is a serial number authenticator.  I'm guessing any games and OS past 13.xx were programmed to look for it.

Here is the datasheet of this chip https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS2401.pdf

The type of chip is a TSOC chip.  Since it was so tiny, and pretty much a pain to solder, it was a relief to know I only had to re-solder just pin 1 (GND) & 2 (DATA) as NC means I didn't have to connect it.     When I finally managed to put the backplane back in, I crossed my fingers and installed a 13.xx game.    SUCCESS!!  It didn't do the error anymore and it installed the game fully and I was able to play for an hour without issues (Ruby Slippers)

Now what I'm trying scratch my head around is if the chip was detached accidentally, or it was done intentionally because a game wasn't working?? (originally it had a BB1 MPU with the game, "Extra extra luck tripple golden cherries clone pharoah's pyramid(SA46A)"  SA46-000-1010   V1010 OS family H9.20. This was a 3 reel game using a 7" screen).  This was on the blue backplane manufactured in 2006. I'm surprised it was there still hanging on basically by 1 leg, and not missing.   If it wasn't there, I probably could have purchased one of these chips and then put it on there, because the manufacturer claims that every chip is unique and no 2 are alike, which makes me think the serial number isn't programmed by WMS.

I'm pretty sure no one will have this problem, unless some rare chance the chip was defective causing this loading serial_no error or the chip needed to be disabled for some reasons unknown to me unless someone here does.  I also did some forum searching and found out that 2 other users on here in the past exhibited the same problem as I did, but a solution was never found for them it looks like.

March 2019 http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=23611.msg126087#msg126087

February 2021 http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=31300.msg165777#msg165777

So in conclusion, to fix this error, it is either replace the entire backplane or might replace the DS2401 IC chip if is missing or defective/corrupted.

Offline rickhunter

• Topic Moderator
  • I Void Warranties.
Awesome find, thanks for sharing the solution.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal