New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally Evo video slot - general questions...  (Read 36059 times)

Offline Retro tech repair

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 81
  • Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
Re: Bally Evo video slot - general questions...
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2014, 06:27:18 PM »
unless the drive is active or not getting power it should open.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 268
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2014, 08:31:35 PM »
It's getting power. Won't open. I have no idea why that would be. I've tried three other DVDr units in the same and a different suitcase and none open.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.
Another thing I failed to mention: The red "reset" light is always on, on the MPU... the top board. I've done the obvious, pressed the reset button, turned the key, etc.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

• Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.Retro tech repair Is a force to reckon with.
  • NLG
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2014, 08:46:04 PM »
i think the mpu is holding the suitcase in reset if the suitcase is continually resetting it may prevent the cd drive from opening it also wont let it read. the suitcase has an orange connector with 2 wires this is reset from the mpu remember or mark what connecter it goes to and unplug it and try powering up the machine. if you get video out of the suitcase with this setup you probably have an mpu problem.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #63 on: June 11, 2014, 09:38:50 PM »
Found it. Disconnected it and powered up. Still nothing. I DO appreciate your quick responses!  :applause: :1:
 I have another tested MPU on the way. Should be here by next week.
Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2014, 07:33:50 PM »
Tested working MPU arrived. Thanks tjlee! 
I plugged it in... this time, the red RESET light is out... so that tells me my MPU was not working properly. But the DVD still won't open. So I put in the replacement suitcase I got recently from another member. Powered up and the DVD does open and close. BUT... it won't read the CD. I've left it on for twenty minutes and still there was nothing but the same "no signal" on the screen. I'll check in a few minutes but I think there's more wrong with this slot.
Should I try swapping the video board (I think that's what it's called) on the suitcase with another? I have two more boards to try.

• NLG
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
yes you can try swapping the video card in the suitcase. if both are working you should at least get signal out of the suitcase. to test if its the suitcase or the moniter you should be able to connect a standard vga computer moniter up to the vga port on the suitcase. also im asuming you swapped your software over to the new mpu.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 08:13:36 PM »
I didn't switch any software over but he sent the game CD with it. It won't work with the new or my original CD. This new MPU just came from a working EVO.

• NLG
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2014, 08:23:36 PM »
i dont know if it will effect video but the mpu has eproms on it that has to match your game.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2014, 09:04:06 PM »
One thing ... this machine is like my Bally Game Maker... it's got "UNITED COIN" all over it. My GM would not work with regular Bally mains and game chips...
Here's a shot of the old MPU and new MPU. I know the game chip is different but the others seem to be as well...
SORRY REVERSED PICS... first one is NEW (says old) Second one is the United Coin MPU

• NLG
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2014, 09:14:32 PM »
they both have software dont know if one of them is correct the old one is 99 bottles of beer i dont have a way to check the others. but your mpu should not be the problem with video. i would think its the video card in the suitcase or the gray cable that runs up to the monitor. if its a tested unit tho i would hope the video card was good in it.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2014, 09:17:00 PM »
But even if the gray cable to the monitor was bad, shouldn't the CD at least try to load? That's my $10,000 question.  :propeller:

• NLG
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2014, 09:20:47 PM »
not if something else is making it fail first. if we cant get video we have no way telling what is working and not. the suitcase could be in a failed post state and thats why you have no video. do you have a way to get a test pattern on the screen to check the monitor and cable. or have you checked the battery on the replacement suitcase.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
I have no way to check the monitor... unless I can swap it with my smaller Bally Game Maker... I think the plugs are different.
The battery is good in both suitcases. I can hook up a VGA right now to a monitor and see if I get the same "no signal" message. Stand by.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2014, 09:48:49 PM »
I connected the VGA out to a monitor and got no signal. The Bally monitor still light up with "no signal" on the display.
I also put in my old mpu and verified that the DVD won't open while with the new mpu, it will open. So I've ruled out a few things. I know there was something wrong with my old mpu. So... something isn't telling the suitcase to read the CD and there's no video out.

• NLG
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2014, 09:54:40 PM »
does it beep at all i cant remember if the evos have a post speaker in them or not. i would say you have 2 suitcases that fail post. start with the easy things move ram from one to the other and video card.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2014, 10:23:55 PM »
No beeps. I'll try swapping ram and see what happens.

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2014, 11:37:34 PM »
No change with ram board swaps from one spare suitcase. I have two spares... one is nice. The other is a bit beat up, but I did try that one too and got the same results...
I still would like to know if the DVDr should be "whirring" on start up. Or, does it boot from the MPU and then the DVD starts to read?

• NLG
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
the suitcase is just a slightly modified computer. all computers run a power on self test or post. while in post it checks the cpu ram and video card for errors. you may get the initialization of the cd drive(it will spin a few times maybe the led will light), but you may not get anything. at this point tho im at a loss for what to do next you may have 3 bad suitcases you may have a failing atx power supply.

if it was a computer i would say try to clear bios first. if it gets corrupt it can cause a failed post, but i dont know how to do that on a evo. on a normal computer their is normally a jumper near the battery you move what pins it on and pull the battery for a few seconds.

also with computers the fail point is normally broadcast over a speaker in the form of beep codes we have already determined the evo either doesn't have a speaker or it doesn't do post codes. you can get a device called a post card that reads the codes over a pci slot, but they don't always work with a non modified computer i have no clue if it would work in an evo.

a few things to check tho.
make sure the 2 wire connector i had you unplug earlier is back in the correct place.
see if the cpu fan is stuck a bad cpu fan should cause a failed post.
choose one suitcase that seems to be in the best shape and swap parts from the other units into it(you can try leaving the battery out for a few seconds each time you do it cutting power to the bios chip should force it to clear).
never make more than one change at a time.

Offline tjlee

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.tjlee Has an aura about them.
  • NLG
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
I was looking at your picture of your backplane board.  Unplug J6 on backplane and then try a boot up   

Offline shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • NLG
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
I unplugged j6 (behind monitor) and got no change...
The fan works.
I'll try swapping parts again.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal