New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Meaning of connector descriptions in S-plus manual  (Read 1310 times)

Offline captmatt

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • captmatt New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Meaning of connector descriptions in S-plus manual
« on: November 19, 2020, 11:54:36 AM »
Hi. Just joined.  Newbie hobbyist trying to restore an s-plus from 1993 and have so many questions but I'll keep it to single issues per post.  I've been scouring this site and thanks for all the posts and responses - very helpful.

So, to start with, I've been referring to the S-Plus Stepper Slot Field Service Manual dated June 1993.[size=78%]http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/otros/s-plus.pdf[/size].  It doesn't quite match my exact machine (mine has the processor board in the back). but it's a close to the one I have as I can find.

Question 1: Section 3 has all the harness connectors and pin-out diagrams but I'm having trouble deciphering the labeling.  Using page 3-16 for top box connectors, for example, I know that J/P 400 names the connector but what does the J mean and what does the P mean?

Question 2: Same page, using J 140 position 3 is labeled DOOR OPEN LT (22)What does the 22 refer to?

Question 3: On the motherboard connector (P1) diagram on page 3-21, position 28B is labeled (J1-14) DOOR OPEN LTWhat does the J1-14 refer to?  I suspect connector J1 position 14 but I see no J1 connector with a position 14 in the book.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Meaning of connector descriptions in S-plus manual
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 12:49:06 PM »
J/P1 is a 5-pin Molex on the coin mechanism on the door.

I see a description of J/P1 on page 3-18

I always thought that the "J" stood for "jumper" as whoever wrote this stuff back then thought connecting two points of wiring was "jumpering" wires together?

Maybe the "P" being a "plug" or "pin"...I don't know...never fully understood the way they wrote it and never needed to understand it to fix an S+.

Maybe someone else has a better idea...

I didn't really look but is there a glossary of terms in it...that might help?

I think the (22) refers to the color of the wire at position 3 on the J140 Molex
You gotta find the color codes.

You'll notice some "hot" wires are (66)....meaning solid blue and 7volts AC.

The stupid thing is I just went thru this whole manual made in 1993 and there's no reference to the wiring color codes!!!!  :banghead: :hissyfit:

Dumb!

Anyways, the link you provide doesn't show page 5-73 in which you would see some wiring colors on the door in the hard copy of of the manual.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:04:06 PM by Stayouttadabunker »
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline captmatt

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:47:21 PM »
Great info.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:11:16 PM »
You're welcome...the color numbers...I think if they're the same,  it meant a solid color wire...but if the 2nd number was different,  that meant the color of the stripe on the wire cover....I'll look later for some list of IGT wire color codes for you

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline captmatt

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 06:51:00 PM »
I would certainly appreciate that.  Thanks again.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:56:19 PM »
okay...I found the color codes for you for the IGT S+ platform:

0=Black

1=Brown

2=Red

3=Orange

4=Yellow

5=Green

6=Blue

7=Violet

8=Gray

9=White

Offline captmatt

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 09:12:28 PM »
Nice! Thanks for posting that for me - much appreciated.

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
Welcome to the site, Matt.  As a Contributing Member, you have access to the downloads section of the site which has a lot of good information and documentation.  Just look for the small "Downloads" link at the very top of the page.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 05:20:57 PM »
I'm a little late to this post but thought I would maybe clarify the answers for future readers.

Question 1: Section 3 has all the harness connectors and pin-out diagrams but I'm having trouble deciphering the labeling.  Using page 3-16 for top box connectors, for example, I know that J/P 400 names the connector but what does the J mean and what does the P mean?

Answer 1 : J/P 400 - Read as Jack/Plug number 400.  Jacks are female/receptacle/socket/slot    Plugs are male/pin/prong

Question 2: Same page, using J 140 position 3 is labeled DOOR OPEN LT (22).  What does the 22 refer to?

Answer 2 : 22 - color of wire. In this case solid red. A similar code you may run into is: 23 - 22  This would be the color/color wire gauge (AWG) So in this example  23 - 22 would be red wire with orange stripe/dots/marking wire size 22 AWG

Question 3: On the motherboard connector (P1) diagram on page 3-21, position 28B is labeled (J1-14) DOOR OPEN LT.  What does the J1-14 refer to?  I suspect connector J1 position 14 but I see no J1 connector with a position 14 in the book.

Answer 3 : J1-14 is the connector (jack) 1 position/pin 14. Usually read as jack 1 pin 14.
( The reason you could not find that J1-14 'in the S+ book' is because you may have missed it. The J/P 1 and J/P 2 connectors are the main CPU PCB connectors and the motherboard connectors it would plug into. When you are looking at a schematic and see the signal connections and J/P # references, it is telling you where the signal came from or is going to. Sometimes multiple places and then there is a page/sheet number reference included, IE J1-2 PG 2 or J3-13 SH 4. Generally schematics or prints are laid out with inputs on the left side and outputs on the right side.)

One more bit of information - 'usually' female connections are connected to the voltage source and the male connections are on the connections where that voltage is being applied. Think of a regular household AC outlet - wall socket 'hot' is female and protected to reduce the chance on accidental shorting or electrocution, the plug is male and not 'hot' so it can be 'touched' or shorted to metal or fingers and no voltage present.

Hope this helps.
Tony

Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 05:35:50 PM »
Excellent explanation Tony!

I like "Jack" waayy better than my "jumper"!  :rotfl:

Offline Trisail

• Electronic Technician
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.Trisail Is a force to reckon with.
  • Power Supply and other electronics repair and help
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »
Thanks Mark.

Wanted to add the color code numeric information. It is derived from the resistor value band color code. You can Google for the mnemonics to remember the order. I learned it way back in the Air Force when I was doing my electronics training, there are many is all I will say.
Tony

You can fix almost any electronic device by replacing the aluminum electrolytic capacitors.

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2020, 07:30:44 PM »
Thanks Mark.

Wanted to add the color code numeric information. It is derived from the resistor value band color code. You can Google for the mnemonics to remember the order. I learned it way back in the Air Force when I was doing my electronics training, there are many is all I will say.
The little mnemonics song is politically incorrect nowadays...haha

Here's one not so bad...>>>

BLACK Birds Run On Your Garden, BLOOming Vegetables Grow Wonderfully

Offline captmatt

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 07:57:52 PM »
I'm a little late to this post but thought I would maybe clarify the answers for future readers.

Answer 1 : J/P 400 - Read as Jack/Plug number 400.  Jacks are female/receptacle/socket/slot    Plugs are male/pin/prong

Question 2: Same page, using J 140 position 3 is labeled DOOR OPEN LT (22).  What does the 22 refer to?

Answer 2 : 22 - color of wire. In this case solid red. A similar code you may run into is: 23 - 22  This would be the color/color wire gauge (AWG) So in this example  23 - 22 would be red wire with orange stripe/dots/marking wire size 22 AWG

Question 3: On the motherboard connector (P1) diagram on page 3-21, position 28B is labeled (J1-14) DOOR OPEN LT.  What does the J1-14 refer to?  I suspect connector J1 position 14 but I see no J1 connector with a position 14 in the book.

Answer 3 : J1-14 is the connector (jack) 1 position/pin 14. Usually read as jack 1 pin 14.
( The reason you could not find that J1-14 'in the S+ book' is because you may have missed it. The J/P 1 and J/P 2 connectors are the main CPU PCB connectors and the motherboard connectors it would plug into. When you are looking at a schematic and see the signal connections and J/P # references, it is telling you where the signal came from or is going to. Sometimes multiple places and then there is a page/sheet number reference included, IE J1-2 PG 2 or J3-13 SH 4. Generally schematics or prints are laid out with inputs on the left side and outputs on the right side.)

One more bit of information - 'usually' female connections are connected to the voltage source and the male connections are on the connections where that voltage is being applied. Think of a regular household AC outlet - wall socket 'hot' is female and protected to reduce the chance on accidental shorting or electrocution, the plug is male and not 'hot' so it can be 'touched' or shorted to metal or fingers and no voltage present.

Hope this helps.
Tony

Tony, thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to post. Great explanation.

Online shortrackskater

• Mark
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 266
  • shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!shortrackskater Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 09:43:58 AM »
The little mnemonics song is politically incorrect nowadays...haha
Here's one not so bad...>>>
BLACK Birds Run On Your Garden, BLOOming Vegetables Grow Wonderfully

I'm going to miss Violet though. She always gave willingly!!  :Tongue_Out:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal