New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: help getting inherited Universal stars and stripes going  (Read 1417 times)

Offline Ewest155

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Ewest155 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
help getting inherited Universal stars and stripes going
« on: December 17, 2023, 02:12:33 PM »
Hello all, been lurking this cool forum trying to learn to get our Universal stars and stripes slot working again. Long and short of it is this machine was inherited from my wife's Grandfather and she used to play it as a child when visiting.

Machine:

Universal Stars and Stripes 25Cent, does not appear to be an Ultra model.
power bar appears to be the Yellow Dot based on the 24 V at pin 6/12
MPU board is the 8116-A2

Machine front panel lights up as in the pics when powered up. Nothing else seems to operate.
Coins fall straight out to the tray every time.
Shows error code 32 inside the door panel (hopper jam).

I have taken the hopper out to check for jam-found none
Tried to reset by pressing the button on the MPU when powering up- didn't work. In fact no sound or anything happened.
Took the board out and the battery does not appear to have leaked and to my eyes board looks clean.
Ensured board connection was tight when placed back in machine, reset again, no luck.

Coin Mech? not sure if i'm just missing a comparitor or if this is how this machine is supposed to be?
No win/credit/coins played numbers displayed.

Any assisstance on what to check or do would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to get the machine going. (Sentimental Value)

I have more pic I can post if needed.

Thank you
Erik

Offline gooch

• Reputation Power: 1
  • gooch New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Re: help getting inherited Universal stars and stripes going
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 02:55:53 PM »
Hello:
I am just your basic novice, but there doesn't appear to be a coin in the coin comparator?

Offline slcjeeper

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • slcjeeper New User barely matters.slcjeeper New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 03:06:01 PM »
Hello:
I am just your basic novice, but there doesn't appear to be a coin in the coin comparator?
This machine has a Coin Mech and not a Coin Comparator, so no sample coin neede.

Ewest155, have you verified the battery is good?
Bally 742A-240, 742A-107B, 785-ZP, 809-B, 831-R, 873-K, 1113, 1239-E, 1256-E, V2236-10, V2096-47, S5000+, V5000+, S5500, S6000, IGT PE, Flip-It, Jennings 400, WMS BB1 Goldfish

Offline Ewest155

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 03:15:00 PM »
I have not verified the battery is good. Feels dumb now that I didn’t think of that first.
I will test and post results shortly.

Thanks

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 137
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2023, 05:19:32 PM »
You say it shows error code 32. That is displayed on the WIN METER, right?

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!UNIMAN Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2023, 05:25:46 PM »
And what hopper type do you have?

Offline Ewest155

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 05:05:04 PM »
Sorry for the delay in response. I have tested the battery with the multimeter and it showed 0.4 V, so i have ordered a replacement, hopefully this will solve some of the issues.

Uniman, the error 32 hopper jam is only showing up on the inside door panel. none of the meters are currently lighting up. I guess this is because of the dead battery.

I have attached a picture of the error code panel that is inside the door and a picture of the Hopper. Is there any specific info or picture  you need from the hopper?

thank you all for your help so far. The battery is supposed to be in tonight so hopefully i can replace and have more information for you guys.

Erik

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 10:47:13 PM »
Hi Eric,

The sticker on the inside of the door is the legend for error codes which are displayed in the WIN METER led on the front of the main door (see photo).

Changing the battery and resetting the CPU should restore the displays.

Make sure you install a Nicad or Lithium battery that is rechargeable.

Offline Ewest155

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 08:00:41 AM »
Hi Eric,

The sticker on the inside of the door is the legend for error codes which are displayed in the WIN METER led on the front of the main door (see photo).

Changing the battery and resetting the CPU should restore the displays.

Make sure you install a Nicad or Lithium battery that is rechargeable.

Hey Pitts256, i didn't realize it was a rechargeable battery, i have the battery but it is non rechargeable. will this cause any problems or just a shortened battery life? I'm wondering if I could install the non rechargeable to see if the machine starts working and replace with a rechargeable later?

Thanks for the help

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...Pitts256 Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 09:59:30 AM »
Even though it's a trickle charger a non-rechargeable battery can overheat and explode, I wouldn't install it.

Is the old Nicad completely dead, shorted and leaking? If there's some voltage showing it may take a charge, that's providing the machine is left on and there's +5VDC voltage to the MPU. If you can get a reading of 3 volts or higher you should be able to boot up. Even if it does hold a charge I'd still install a new battery.

Offline Ewest155

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2023, 12:34:35 PM »
Even though it's a trickle charger a non-rechargeable battery can overheat and explode, I wouldn't install it.

Is the old Nicad completely dead, shorted and leaking? If there's some voltage showing it may take a charge, that's providing the machine is left on and there's +5VDC voltage to the MPU. If you can get a reading of 3 volts or higher you should be able to boot up. Even if it does hold a charge I'd still install a new battery.

Pitss256,  no the battery is not leaking, i had previously left the machine plugged in and on overnight and after that is when i got the 0.4 v reading on the battery. Should it take longer than that to charge up a bit. Also, not sure exactly how to check if I'm getting +5VDC to the MPU. How/where would I place my multimeter probes?

Thanks

Offline Pitts256

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2023, 02:04:59 PM »
The battery is probably long gone. Best to install a new one.

We still need to check for +5VDC from the power supply for the MPU. First verify the +5VDC fuse F3 is okay. If that's good then take a measurement on the frontside of the power supply with a voltmeter at the 12 pin Molex plug. Pin 1 is +5VDC (pink wire) to pin 7 Ground (black wire). 

Offline Ewest155

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 02:41:36 PM »
The battery is probably long gone. Best to install a new one.

We still need to check for +5VDC from the power supply for the MPU. First verify the +5VDC fuse F3 is okay. If that's good then take a measurement on the frontside of the power supply with a voltmeter at the 12 pin Molex plug. Pin 1 is +5VDC (pink wire) to pin 7 Ground (black wire).

Checked fuse F3 and it looks okay no burnt areas, wire intact. also checked the other fuses for good measure and they look okay.
Getting no voltage when crossing pin 1 and 7 with the multimeter. What should I do next. is it safe to assume the power supply is an issue?

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2023, 05:05:48 PM »
Here is a simple test for 5vdc. Turn on the machine and stick something in one of the grey coins optics like a piece of electrical tape, or paper. When the optic is blinded the little red LED will light up. If an optic LED lights up you have 5vdc. If no LED, no 5vdc.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 05:22:32 PM »
Have you ever checked the noise filter in the power supply?

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2023, 05:32:23 PM »
Read my second post in this thread with picture of noise filter.
https://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=177.0

Symptoms of bad noise filter is lights but nothing else. Sounds like your issues.

Offline Ewest155

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2023, 05:33:01 PM »
Read my second post in this thread with picture of noise filter.
https://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=177.0

Symptoms of bad noise filter is lights but nothing else. Sounds like your issues.

Thanks for the tips Uniman, Sorry just now seeing this, had a late day. I will check out the noise filter and see what I find. waiting on the battery to be delivered as well since no one around me carries them in a rechargeable.
I appreciate all the knowledge you guys are sharing.

Erik

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 07:48:12 AM »
If the noise filter is there, get rid of it. You can put and ohm meter between inlet #1 and outlet #3, and #2 to #4 to see if it is an open circuit. If it's still there 99% chance that's your issue.

Offline UNIMAN

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2023, 05:10:21 PM »
Just a note; I have found if the board battery has any voltage the machine will work until you shut it off. Then all memory (credits on machine) are lost at next startup and you get battery error unless you perform another reset.
So, if you remove the noise filter and try it with that low battery it should work with a reset a startup.

Offline Ewest155

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2023, 01:07:54 PM »
Uniman , Pits and everyone else.
Just wanted to say thank you for all your assistance. I finally got a new battery in and took the noise filter out and the machine fired right up and plays!!!

I couldn’t have don’t it without all of your expertise.

Erik

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal