New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Top Dollar - IGT - cause of failure  (Read 826 times)

Offline EdwardS

• Contributing NLG Member
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EdwardS New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Top Dollar - IGT - cause of failure
« on: December 21, 2023, 07:13:19 AM »
I have an IGT S2000 S-Plus Top Dollar.  The circuit board that mates with the mother board suffered a lot of current and 2 resistors were burned.  Upon inspection, it appears this has happened before.  I was successful in getting a replacement board.  I also got a relacement power supply (transformer).  I am ready to re-assemble but I have reservations.  I don't want the new replacement board to act as a fuse.

Is this a known problem with this model.  Does anyone have the schematics for this model?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

The fuses were all OK.  From the attached pics, you can see the serious amount of current.

Model#9641990R - Manufactured around 1998

Moderator note: updated machine model
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 08:51:09 AM by a69mopar »

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Top Dollar - IGT - cause of failure
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 07:32:42 AM »
Is this a water stain on the back wall?
Water, steel, and electronics don't mix well.
It may be the cause of it burning out the first time.
They may of replaced them with the wrong resistors.
I've never seen these burn out like that.
Schematics for the motherboard are available in the NLG File System.
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 07:52:15 AM »
No, not a water stain. It appears to be discoloration from the heat where those resistors got hot/burned.  I'm baffled why no fuses popped with that kind of current. 

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 08:11:29 AM »
A closeup of how badly the CCA board was buned.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 08:21:08 AM »
That's not an S2000 first of all.
You have a S+ machine that may be going on 30 years old....lol
Things are getting fairly aged in that cabinet.

IDK why a power fuse didn't burn out....did you check them?  :scratch-head_2:
They should be of the "Quick-blow" type...with the thin wire filament enclosed inside the glass tubes...not the wide, metal or wire-wrapped ceramic automotive fuses.
If the wrong type of fuses or ones with too much amperage-rating are in there, that's why they cooked.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 08:46:07 AM by Stayouttadabunker »

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 08:37:32 AM »
Yes.  I just checked them and they are the correct fuses / amperage sizes. F1-6A, F2-8A and F3-6A. 

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 08:58:15 AM »
Hard to tell from the photo resolution, but it looks like R3 is the component that overheated and may have damaged R4 next to it.  R3 is for the denomination lamp and typically does that when someone attempts to upgrade the incandescent lamp to a LED lamp that isn't compatible with the lamp holder.  It causes a direct short across the lamp supply voltage and R3 overheats and burns up.  Check and make sure the denomination lamp is the correct one. 

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2023, 09:19:22 AM »
I did that.  It is an LED replacement.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2023, 09:41:20 AM »
do the research on this site, there are pictures of the two types of sockets. because of the wrap around wire on the bulb, it touches both sides of the metal inside the socket,thus a direct short, the other socket has each side isolated from each other.

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2023, 10:57:02 AM »
Here's a link to the old board with the details on the problem.  You need to fix that first or you'll burn up R3 on the new motherboard too.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?topic=8337.msg73090#msg73090

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 12:02:46 PM »
Thank you.  I only replaced the F15T8/CW flourcent bulb with an LED with the same model#.  This is the 18" bulb that lights the bottom portion "1st coin winner/2nd coin bonus".  I did not replace any of the individual socket(s)/bulbs that appear in the images of the link you sent.

I put an original style flourcent bulb in and re-assembled.  I am now getting an error 65 2.  I attached the error codes from inside the machine.  I also have no lights on the top portion of the machine. :(  Where is the "self test switch?

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 12:28:38 PM »
Test switch is either beside the on/off switch or right behind it. (feel behind that switch box)

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 12:37:33 PM »
[65-2] is "Game Type Mismatch"
IDK why you're getting that but when you find the Test button, press and hold it for a couple of seconds...it'll clear.

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2023, 01:53:11 PM »
Thank you.  That helped and re-activated the reels to move/position on startup.  My error now is "64"..."Link Down".  I noticed that there is now a solid green LED (DS2) and non-active red LED (DS1).  In the past I would notice that the red (DS1) flashed as what appeared to be a communications LED indicator. 

There are no denomination lights lit and there are no lights lit on the top portion of the machine.  I am assuming this is the "Link" board?  On a rare moment, either power down/power up, all the lights on the top portion will briefly illuminate.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2023, 02:19:30 PM »
okay...if the connectors and wiring to the interface COMM board seem to be okay, there's may be something wrong up in the topbox.
I'm going to leave this to Pinball owners to chime in to help you from this point on.
They know what's up in that topbox, and would be able to help you better than I can.
My S+ Barcrest machine may have different components than yours up in there.

Should you decide to poke around up there, be extremely careful when removing that topbox glass.
It's kinda heavy & the last thing you want to do is drop it and smash it.
You'll never find a replacement.

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2023, 02:25:50 PM »
Thank you very much!  I did transport it, am familiar with being careful with that glass and will have an assistant to help when I take it off.  Thank you everyone for all your assistance.  I did become an annual subscriber.   

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2023, 02:57:24 PM »
Thank you.  I only replaced the F15T8/CW flourcent bulb with an LED with the same model#.  This is the 18" bulb that lights the bottom portion "1st coin winner/2nd coin bonus".  I did not replace any of the individual socket(s)/bulbs that appear in the images of the link you sent.

I put an original style flourcent bulb in and re-assembled.  I am now getting an error 65 2.  I attached the error codes from inside the machine.  I also have no lights on the top portion of the machine. :(  Where is the "self test switch?

Ok.  The bulb this refers to is the one behind your 25c denomination label.  That's the lamp that R3 is in series with.  You'll want to pull that bulb out and make sure it's not going to burn up the new motherboard.  It may have been that way when you bought it?  The only thing a burnt R3 will cause is the denomination light not to work.  The machine should work fine other than that providing it didn't damage anything else when it went up in smoke.  I can't tell if R4 is damaged too from the photo.  You can check it with a multimeter.  It's a 180ohm resistor.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2023, 03:09:11 PM »
typically when you first turn on the machine, door open, there will not be any of the red or green leds lit on the comms board, the top box should display a T-0? and then change to a CO 1 , the reels should spin, then a solid green led will be on the comms board. close the door, the reels should spin, the top box should come alive,machine is ready to play.

with the hopper out, and the coin tray removed, you can look inside and see what is happening with the leds.

when working properly they should both blink in unison.  64 means no comms between the bottom and top cpu.,there is a three pin connector on the motherboard that terminates at the one connector of the comms board, in between that cable there are two connections to a transistor array board. the other connection on the comms board terminates at the sound module in the top box, blue connector, has to be in the right position for the machine to work, two positions available.

could be anything, power supply in the top box, varta damage to the top cpu board? 

Hope this helps

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline knagl

• Kevin
  • NLG Site Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!knagl Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2023, 09:26:56 PM »
My error now is "64"..."Link Down".

there are no lights lit on the top portion of the machine.

When you say there are no lights lit on the top portion of the machine, are you saying that the Barcrest Top Dollar portion of the machine above the reels isn't lighting up at all? If so, that's the cause of the 64 error, as the machine is trying to talk to it, but it's not powered on.
If you find this site helpful, please consider making a small donation to help defray the cost of hosting and bandwidth.

Please do not PM me for support or "how to" requests -- please post your request in the forum so that everyone may assist you and everyone can benefit from the answer to your question!  Thanks! :)

Offline EdwardS

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 06:00:10 AM »
After further looking into it, the top power supply, MPU5 appears to be bad.  I am not getting the proper voltages on the output pins.  I found and tried the self check button.  That appears to work, cycling the LEDs on the front of the top portion of the machine.  I'm not sure what all the tests do.  The power red LED on the MPU4 board does illuminate.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal