New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bally EM 5 line pay, quarter machine repair help please.  (Read 12453 times)

Offline chuck62

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • chuck62 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Bally EM 5 line pay, quarter machine repair help please.
« on: September 07, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »
I have recently inherited a Bally EM 5 line pay machine. It works pretty well, except that it only plays and pays one line. It will accept any amount of coins into the hopper but only the first one registers. I can pull out the top part of the machine and manually step it up to pay 5 coins, so it seems like something is not telling it to step up after the first coin? I have spent some time with a wire brush to clean up the beau plugs but that hasnt really changed anything.  :Scratch-Head: Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance, Chuck.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: Bally EM 5 line pay, quarter machine repair help please.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:42:15 AM »
A few photos of the machine and its id plate (often on the side of machine near pull handle) would be helpful in identifying it. I agree that if only 1 coin is registering that's probably why it's only paying out on 1 line. Do you have the Bally EM manual that covers your machine? It might be available here on NLG in the download area or maybe here:

http://www.idealposter.com/

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:35:12 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »
I don't see an ID plate near the pull arm. I do have the online manual. Here are some pictures.

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:17:32 AM »
I tried to post all photos at once. Guess I have to do separate posts.

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:21:10 AM »

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:32:48 AM »

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
I don't see an ID plate near the pull arm. I do have the online manual. Here are some pictures.

Maybe someone removed the idplate, if you see some rivet holes in the side of the machine that might be where the id plate was mounted. Sometimes on the assemblies inside there will be a tag that has the model number. And inside the machine there might be a sticker on the wall with that info. I think Bally used model numbers like "873", "1026" etc on their EMs. The exact model number often isn't needed as they used similar construction and design on many of the assemblies. Someone here familiar with the older Bally EMs will probably recognize your machine.

I think you should be able to attach up to 6 photos to a comment, not sure why you weren't able to. There is an attachment filesize limit but doesn't look like that applied. But the way you did it will work ok.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 10:21:32 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 09:51:21 AM »
I think 873 sounds right but I dont see any stickers or any place that a tag was removed either.

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 10:05:18 AM »
Again

Offline buybestslots

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »
873 for sure  look in top unit for a bad step up coil on lines or coin unit   may also just have a spring off too  but your pic's load too slow to check all your pic's

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »
Here is a better picture of the upper unit. Maybe you can help me what I am looking at?

Offline buybestslots

• buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!buybestslots Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »
look at the unit with 2 coils on it that should be where the trouble is?  clean it up check  larger coil with a meter

Offline chuck62

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 08:05:08 AM »
I dont know if this is helpful... probably tells you what you already thought. The game plays fine with the top unit completely out. (one coin) I am really no expert when it comes to electric components. But since the step up unit seems to perform fine when done manually, then it is probably one of the coils that is an issue, is that what you are saying? I am not sure how to test a coil? All I find so far is about electric stove coils, not the kind I am trying to fix. One other note... when I manually activate the coin arm inside the front door, I get the one strong click sound on the first time, then just a dull non click after that, except when the coin hopper is removed, then I get a strong click sound every time?  :Scratch-Head:

Offline buybestslots

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
that click if I recall right is the handle release coil  , if I recall theres a set of points there that sends to power to coin unit in top  check  switches on handle release coil and make sure they are clean and closing /opening   if you pull reel mech got you can see better you will get it working, bally em are great games

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 09:09:52 AM »
.....I am not sure how to test a coil?.......

I resized your last photo to make it view more quickly and attached it below with some notes on it. Doing that reduces the photo enlargement so we lose some closeup detail but I think it will still be ok for the explanation.

A coil is an electrical part that is one long, small diameter piece of copper wire wrapped around a plastic form. Since the wire is coiled around the form that's where the name "coil" comes from. When electricity runs thru the coil a magnetic field is formed. That magnetic field is used to cause a metal part to move. The metal part can be a plunger rod that is placed in the middle of the coil form, it looks like a round metal rod that is attached at one end to another part they want to move. These coils are often called a solenoid coil. The plunger rod will move one way then the other way when the coil is powered on and off. On other types of coils they move a metal part so that it causes switch contacts to open or close. This is often called a relay coil or a switch coil.

Since a coil is made of just 1 long piece of copper wire it can be tested with a simple meter or continuity checker. The coil will have 2 connections, both are opposite ends of the same wire. With power off to the machine you can put your meter leads on the 2 coil connections, the reading should show continuity, a very low electrical resistance if the meter displays ohms. If the coil wire does not have continuity it is called "open", and the coil will not work since its wire won't let electricity flow thru it. Sometimes the coil's wire gets broken or burned open.

Sometimes the coil itself is ok but the metal part that moves is gummed-up or binding. Cleaning these moving parts is often needed on older equipment, as the oil or light grease degrades over the years it gets thick, dust and dirt gets mixed in with it too.

As buybestslots said, take a close look at the mechanical assembly in your photo that has the 2 green solenoid coils. This may be the "step up" assembly or unit. Make sure the coils are good with a meter, and check that the metal plunger rods connected to the coils move. Study how it works when the coil plunger would be activated by the coil. Often there is a lever arm or wheel or a moving set of contact fingers (thin metal wipers) that gets stepped to a different position. There are springs attached to different parts also. With power off you can usually check the movement of parts by pushing the coil plunger rod yourself. One of the coils could be responsible for moving something like wipers in a circular stepping motion on a circuit board to make contact with metal rivet contacts. The other coil probably releases the step up unit so it goes back to its initial or home position, with the help of springs pulling it back. If the coils are ok then look for bad electrical contacts, broken wires, binding mechanical parts, etc.

Since you have the manual for your Bally EM machine I'd say to read thru it, look for the section that explains the coin in process and how the step up unit works when each coin is inserted. Maybe the manual will point out the coils involved on a diagram or photo. Also, in your photos it looks like there are labels for the coils. You can read them to identify each coils function.

In your photo below I've made some notes pointing out the coils I can see. Some of the coils have a green paper wrapper with the word Bally printed on them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:24:32 AM by rokgpsman »

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »
For convenience I resized your photos, that will make them load faster for others that may want to offer helpful comments. They can still view the original size above for detail if needed.

Offline OldReno

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 75
  • OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.OldReno Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »
As Bestbuy says, it's probably a handle switch problem.  When the handle paddle drops (1st coin in) then it closes a handle switch  Normally Open to the closed postion.
This switch now allows your coin in pulses to step up the odds disc in the top unit, and give you odds.
Also, to check your coils with jumpers, read my two posts on using jumpers, that should explain it.
Again, the normally open handle release switch is the place I'd look first.
The real picture of the Face on Mars.

Offline buybestslots

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
 :I_agree_1:
As Bestbuy says, it's probably a handle switch problem.  When the handle paddle drops (1st coin in) then it closes a handle switch  Normally Open to the closed postion.
This switch now allows your coin in pulses to step up the odds disc in the top unit, and give you odds.
Also, to check your coils with jumpers, read my two posts on using jumpers, that should explain it.
Again, the normally open handle release switch is the place I'd look first.

Offline mvco

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • mvco New User barely matters.mvco New User barely matters.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 05:04:35 PM »
My guess on this one is that the wiper unit is stuck after sitting for years.  Make sure all wiper units advance, and reset without any hesitation.  First thing I do when going through an old EM.  This also holds true for Pinball machines.  Sticky wiper units cause problems.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal