New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: M645-609 Daughter Board for MPU 1000  (Read 3089 times)

Offline darwinasm86

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • darwinasm86 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
M645-609 Daughter Board for MPU 1000
« on: November 07, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »
I've gone through all of the documentation on this that I have been given thanks to the forums, but I don't see any pictures or schematics referring to this daughter board which plugs into J2.

Anyone know why it was added and if it was necessary?

Thx,

Jason

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
Re: M645-609 Daughter Board for MPU 1000
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 11:44:56 AM »
Since it is a Bally board it should have a Bally number like AS-2985. Where did you see the board number "M645-609", did it mention another part number or name for the board?  It could be the board that connects by ribbon cable to J2 was an optional Credit Display or Replay Display board that was used on some machines in certain jurisdictions that allowed that type of play, but others here may know for sure.

Here is a list I saw that has some of the extra boards used on Bally E-series machines. Some connect to the MPU board, others connect to the I/O board:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:21:52 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline dhellis

• NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • dhellis New User has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »
I've gone through all of the documentation on this that I have been given thanks to the forums, but I don't see any pictures or schematics referring to this daughter board which plugs into J2.

Anyone know why it was added and if it was necessary?

Thx,

Jason

That board is a buffer/amplifier board and is used to isolate control signals and data. You will see these on
E-Series machines that have a sound card

*update needed*

The Board mentioned above is for the display, and it has 1 IC and a resistor pack, there is a second similar
board that is used for the IO which has 74LS245 IC's

If you have the Bally FO-650-13 manual you will find these boards on pages 39 and 40

Offline darwinasm86

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 12:44:37 PM »
Update:

Since the last time I posted this, I just reverse engineered the board and made a schematic.

:)

Since I finished the schematic, I just went and laid out a new PCB in case I ever need to order a new one, not that I think this will ever happen  :propeller:

Attached the 3D of the board as well.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:39 PM »
Too cool!    :cool_thumb_up:

Did you figure out what that board is for in the machine and what it is called? Your 3D photo filename suggests it is an LED Driver board?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline dhellis

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 11:40:54 PM »
Too cool!    :cool_thumb_up:

Did you figure out what that board is for in the machine and what it is called? Your 3D photo filename suggests it is an LED Driver board?

That particular board is the Display Buffer Board AS3127

There is a similar looking IO Buffer Board AS2518-89

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 11:50:30 PM »

Thanks, that helped me to find it. I have the Bally FO-650-13 manual but this board is on page 37 in my copy. Maybe I have an older version?

dawinasm86- your 3D photo shows the board resistor as a 1meg ohm, but the AS-3127 drawing shows the resistor to be a 1k ohm??

Offline dhellis

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 12:01:21 AM »

Thanks, that helped me to find it. I have the Bally FO-650-13 manual but this board is on page 37 in my copy. Maybe I have an older version?

dawinasm86- your 3D photo shows the board resistor as a 1meg ohm, but the AS-3127 drawing shows the resistor to be a 1k ohm??

Actually you are correct, what you see on Page 37 is the Display Buffer and what darwinasm86 built is the IO buffer board shown on page 36.

The 1K resistors are a resistor pack, 8 resistors in a 16 pin dip, the 2 IC's are 74LS245 Octal Bus Tranceivers.

My apologies because I responded without really looking at the 3D layout in darwin's post

Offline darwinasm86

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:14:58 AM »
Yeah for 3D drawings of components, resistors, caps, inductors, its easier to make one for the package type for the footprint and finish the layout.

Doing one for each type is a waste of time for me, and the real value comes in for making sure the footprints are correct, and clearance.

Yes this is a buffer driver board, but based on the design, unless there was an issue with the regulation of the drivers on the MPU, I don't know why they added it..

Most of the people here have a lot of knowledge considering the history of these boards, I'd just like to know why some of the decisions made were implemented.

I've also reverse engineered the MPU 1000 and RAM PCB and changed the interface of PCBs to be the standard 0.1" headers so that I can get the parts easily.

I feel better having a full set of schematics I can read and know what's going on  :propeller:

Thanks for the help so far :)

Offline darwinasm86

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 12:30:56 AM »
Dhellis... errr Rok... someone posted lol.

The Schematic posted and BOM for the LED driver is the 3D file I posted, wish I had that so I didnt waste 4 hours doing that project but its done ;)

Jason

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal