New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: E2290-1 acting wierd  (Read 8960 times)

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
E2290-1 acting wierd
« on: December 09, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »
Hello, I recently acquired a E2290-1 4 reel which had been working perfectly however for the last couple of days it's been doing something strange. What's happening is that when I turn the machine on everything powers up and it's ready for play. I coin up and pull the handle and the reels don't stop, they just keep spinning until they start to lose momentum and then the machine tilts and alternately flashes code 41 then 3. I then have to press the reset and test buttons together to get the machine to reset.  It will continue to do this for a while then I'll coin up, pull the handle and the reel stops will engage quite late after spin begins. The machine tilts and alternately flashes a 71 then 3. It will again do this for a while then the reel stops will begin engaging normally after handle pull. It no longer tilts but afterwards the insert coin light does not come back on and if I have a winning reel combination the hopper does not pay out or respond. Again it will do this for a while until all of a sudden everything's fine. The machine will play normally as well as pay out correctly. At first I thought I had a weak reader on reel 1 given the 41 & 71 tilt codes so I switched the readers around thinking that if the reader was truly faulty the problem would follow to whatever reel I had that reader on and would give me a different tilt code but it did not. The machine still does the exact same thing showing the same tilt codes. I feel like something is getting ready to fail permanently and I want to find and correct this problem before the machine fails all together. So what could the problem be? What else can I check? Any help or advice offered will be greatly appreciated.
There are some shady people in this world, stay in the light...

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
Re: E2290-1 acting wierd
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 04:27:03 PM »
Sounds like the grease is getting thick and sticky till it warms up.
Inside your reel mechanism there is 2 black cross shafts. Can you spin those freely with your fingers? if not it needs more lubrication to get all the linkage working freely and then you reels will stop.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline mr-monoxide

• mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion, I will certainly try that. But would it account for the insert coin light not coming back on and the hopper not paying out even when the reels stop normally?

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 09:20:44 PM »
You might want to check your power supply voltages, and the condition of the power supply plug.. Weak power supplys can cause many problems.. You can buy a new after market on Ebay for $59.00. They work great, I've used them.. Other thing is to check your kick & arms switches..
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I lubed the reel mech very well and everything spins freely including the cross shafts mentioned. I was good advice, the reels spin much faster now. I also checked my power supply voltages and all outputs are normal. The switches are all functional as well. Unfortunately the problem persists. What I've noticed is that if I power up the machine and wait about 2 hours before I play everything is fine and will remain that way for as long as I leave the power on. If I turn it off for just a few minutes I have to wait the 2 hours again before I can play. Could the relays cause this to happen?

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 10:45:58 PM »
Have you oiled the reels hubs? There is an oil hole in each hub to get oil into the needle bearing that the reel spin in.. One other thought is to pull the power supply and inspect the solder joint on the plug header. Those solder joints like to crack causing cold solder joint.. Your other place to look for bad solder joints are on the back if the MPU. Heat cycles cause bad connections on many of the socketed emproms and solder chips. Good thing to do is to take a pink ereaser and clear all the pins on the IO and MPU, power supply, even the reel readers.  Many problems on these machines are just a connection gone bad.

I was working on a CEI Video Poker game to night. The owner said it keeps turning off & on.. I noticed that when the monitor went out, the Green LED light for DC power would dim. I removed the fuse for that circuit and cleaned the holder and removed and reconnected the plugs on the back plane. After doing that the machines now operating normal. So just saying check and clean your connections. You just might be surprised.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline ramegoom

• Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
Amechanic is correct about those cold solder joints. Here's an example, as seen on the power supply:

Offline Jon

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.Jon Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
    • Just for fun
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »
those are some good pictures the top one and the bottom one most people would miss I don't know how the one in the center ever work

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 11:11:59 AM »
on the older Bally "E" series machines  they used pressure type connectors on the power supply.the wire is inserted into the "V" type opening, they use a punch type tool to push the wire into the "V" which will cause the insulation to be pierced and the wire will now make a connection to the connector pin, over time these will be come loose due to the current pull of the power supply, these caused huge intermittent problems, monitor the power supply voltages, then start wiggling the wires on the bottom of the connector, I think they are red/black tracer  and a few up from there are blue/ black tracer (from memory,not sure about the colors)  if the voltages vary and drop off then you have to fix that connection. most people will solder the wire.    the second problem you could be having: the reels are stopped by a solenoid, I have seen these become dirty and stiff, they should be disassembled and cleaned and lubed with graphite.

Hope this helps

Jim 

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 01:27:30 PM »
Even when they changed to the crimped style terminals, same problem existed:

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 02:16:43 PM »
Yea I've seen them like that before. Then I've seen them remove the wire from the plug and solder it to the power supply.
And remember...

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
Those Molex connectors are really low rent design. The contact area is minimal, and the spring tension within the terminal gets reduced every time you plug and unplug it. Terminals are too soft to maintain the spring tension for high current use.

You should see the Molex connectors in my pinball machines...every bit as bad, chronic problems with them.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
Ok, I'll remove the power supply tomorrow and see if I see anything that looks like what's in the pictures posted (thanks for that by the way, pictures are always a big help). I'll report back with my findings..

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 03:12:14 PM »
Alright I've gone over everything and as far as I can tell all seems to be in order. Ive cleaned and oiled all moving parts on the reel mechanism and it is spinning freely. The stop solenoids are free and not sticking either. I've also reseated every connection I can find and I removed and inspected the power supply and associated connections looking for anything that looked like the pictures posted but I can't find anything suspicious looking, in fact everything looks so good you would almost think it was new. So now I'm trying to understand the tests that the machine performs. On test 1 the win meter displays 00001 and resets for play, test 2 runs through all the lights with no problem, test 3 activates all the relays and solenoids again with no problems. Test 3 confuses me, it displays 11- which flickers a bit as if the machine is checking stuff but I don't know what this test is supposed to be doing so I don't know if the 11- displayed is normal or not. Test 4 runs the hopper for a second and dispenses 10 coins. Test 5 displays 0.0.0.0. I don't know what this means either. Test 6 displays various numbers but thats it. I have a basic manual but it doesn't cover these tests very well, it tells me how to perform them but nothing about the meaning of the results. Anyone know if the results I'm getting are normal? Also I've read that the reel reader board could be faulty, anybody have one they'd like to sell? I'd like to replace it just to eliminate it as a potential source of the problem.

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2015, 03:24:17 PM »
Download and print this document:

http://www.ramegoom.com/john/E2000/Maintaining%20your%20Bally%20Slot%20Machine.pdf

At the bottom of the doc, it spells out the codes, this should help. 

Test 5 is the reel symbol position test, and if you have 0 0 0 0 this means the reel positions are not being seen by the MPU. Could be a blown fuse that powers up the reader lamps, or a bad Molex connection.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »
Thanks for the document. I'm sure it will be very useful. The reel reader problem seems intermittent. Sometimes the reels continue to spin and don't lock giving me the typical code 41 tilt. Other times the reels lock in late giving me a code 71 but sometimes they spin and lock in correctly and will pay out winning combinations normally. One thing that's seems unusual is that there are instances that the reels spin and lock in as they should but there will be a very long delay of several minutes before the hopper pays out or the insert coin light comes back on. It's that condition that has me eyeballing the reel control board. What do you think?

Offline ramegoom

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »
I think it's intermittent connectors.

If the reels sometimes work normally, other times don't, it's likely there is an intermittent or poor connection between the reel readers and the I/O board.

Check those long connectors that run along the top of the I/O board, and also, the three connectors that attach to the reel readers. Also, the large Molex connectors that plug into the reel assembly. Also, remove the I/O board and check the solder integrity on the PC board for each terminal. A magnifying glass is an easy way to look for cold solder joints.

For the long delayed payout, I'd look at that Beau connector behind the hopper mechanism. The terminals used are low-rent and not reliable. Go thru them with a pink eraser for the male terminals, and find one male terminal that isn't used; remove it from the connector and use it as a "pull force" pin to check the female pins on the bracket behind the hopper. A loose terminal will exhibit very low friction and could indicate a poor connection. You then need to use a dental pick to reposition spring tension to that terminal. A bit of practice and you'll find it.

There is a signal to run the hopper motor, and a signal from the coin switch to count each coin. If that signal to the motor has high resistance in it, the motor won't run or will run slowly. After a certain length of time, the CPU times out and sets a tilt code if the expected coins are not delivered. A bad or mis-adjusted coin switch will give you the same results. Again, all plug in terminals should be firm and tight. Any looseness will give you problems.

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »
It could very well be some connection issue as there definitely seems to be a communication problem somewhere between something and something. I'm not familiar with slot machine vernacular but I'm think I know the connectors your talking about from the description. I will try your suggestions and report back...

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »
Update: So at this point I've cleaned and secured every connection in the entire machine and I also have checked the resistance on everyone of them as well. All of them check out ok, the highest reading I can get is 1.9 ohms checking from input side of the connector, through the connection, then to ouput. All solder joints also look ok as far as I can tell. I did end up changing out the reel control board just to eliminate it as a possibility.  I also disassembled the reel stop mechanism and recleaned and oiled all moving parts. Everything moves freely including the black cross shafts. Unfortunately the problem persists. Sometimes it works perfectly, most of the time it doesn't. It just keeps throwing a code 91 or 71 if it tilts before the reels stop or codes 41 and 71 if it tilts after all 4 reels stop. If it's working good it passes test 5 with no problems, all other times it fails showing 0000 in the display. I've measured input voltage to the reel assembly at anywhere between 4.1 to 4.4 volts. Is that low? It seems low to me. I'm currently waiting on a new power supply to be delivered. I'm really hoping that replacing it will show some positive results because I have no clue what to check or do next...

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »
Also, reel reader voltage is roughly 2.25v with led's unblocked dropping to 0.4 when blocked. It's the same for all 4 reels. Is that normal voltage?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal