New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: E2290-1 acting wierd  (Read 8961 times)

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: E2290-1 acting wierd
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 06:19:27 PM »
I recently made my self a tool to check the tension of the crimp on connecrors on the power supply plug, as well as the large white plugs on the IO, and MPU. The reason for the tool was I had a Bally 1208 E1000 that would work speraticly.. Sometime on a power on the win meter had weird codes like 84 400, of 84404. When you tried to close the door then the jackpot bell would ring. I checked everything I could and changed out the power supply with a new after market one,  but no help.. That where I had an idea :nerd:  make a single pin header tester.. I removed a pin from a header on a junk board, I then needed to make something to hold the pin. I took an old pen and used the tip end to hold the header pin. I epoxied it in the pens tip, and sealed the other end with a piece of paper, then epoxy the end closed.
After building this tool I started checking each connector separately what I found surprised me. I had four of the crimp on connectors on my MPU plug were so worn out and damaged that they had no tension on my tester. I then totally rebuilt my MPU's plug with all new connectors. Once done my machine has worked perfectly!! I never would have found this with out my new tool. Just sliding the plug on a board can't tell you if you have good connection and the same with a VOM. I'm now planning on making one in each size so I can check other plugs like the reel readers, and the top IO plugs. I have attached a pic of my simple home made tool that found my last machines problems..

Gary
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 06:51:53 PM »
But wouldn't a low tension connection show up with a high resistance reading?
There are some shady people in this world, stay in the light...

Offline Amechanic

• Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
I'm not sure about that. Your meters test ends are bigger and round. These header pins are flat. The ones I found would work sometimes, but the next time powered on I had a problem. These crimp connectors do have a life span. They were never intended to be taken apart and put back together very many times. You only make the connection one one side of the pin, its not like the connection surrounds the pin.. Once they get bent they loose the connection.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »
Depends. Your meter uses a few volts and is limited on current flow when it measures the resistance it is checking. In actual operation if a connection is making contact but loose or low tension and enough current (electricity amp low) is going thru it then there will be an unwanted higher voltage drop even if the contact resistance is less than 1 ohm. This may not be what's going on in your case, just sayin'.

5 amps flowing thru a .5 ohm contact resistance will drop 2.5 volts at the contact point and can get warm. The higher the contact resistance, even in tenths of an ohm, the larger the voltage drop it causes. That's why we sometimes see a burned or overheated molex connector housing, it got hot from a resistive contact. This normally happens on power supply connections or other stuff that are higher current signals than typical logic gate signals.  But on older machine even the logic signals are sometimes at higher voltage or current levels. If you don't find any other explanation for your problem it is always good to check connector contacts and other wiring connections. The metal surface on pins and contacts tarnish and corrode over the years, that adds to their loss of good contact. And as connectors are disconnected and reconnected dozens of times that causes the pins and contacts to loose tension. They don't last forever. If it wasn't for service reasons or ease of assembly in the factory there would be no connectors anywhere in the machine, they are a potential failure point, so engineers would eliminate them in favor of direct wiring. They got rid of sockets on circuit boards in our division, too many problems. Made it a pain when replacing chips for software updates or repair, but overall reliability was increased.
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline mr-monoxide

• mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.mr-monoxide Is working their way up.
  • NLG
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2015, 07:21:11 PM »
I see what you're saying, guess I have a lot more work to do... should I just solder the wires directly to the terminals and eliminate all connectors?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 07:22:35 PM »
I see what you're saying, guess I have a lot more work to do... should I just solder the wires directly to the terminals and eliminate all connectors?

No, I don't think so, that shouldn't be necessary. It would really cause headaches for you when doing repairs or troubleshooting later. Just clean the pins, try to increase tension on the contact. Or replace contacts, pins, connector if needed. In some case you can even buy new mated connectors and install them in place of the old ones, if there is room. You can use any connector you want, just get one with as many wires as you have on that cable. Today's connectors are a lot better than the old ones.

The point I was making is that connectors can be an overlooked source of problems, especially on older equipment. We did away with connectors only on a limited basis, stuff where they absolutely could not have an intermittent or breakdown, like a cruise missile guidance assembly or some of the equipment going into space and not coming back. I think I read that the Mars Rover did not have connectors (or very few), worried that dust, vibration and huge temp extremes would cause intermittents. Plus it saves some weight which they are always wanting to do.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 10:37:15 AM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 08:00:24 PM »
I myself I wouldn't solder the wires dirrectly to the pins. I would always just repin the plugs. I want to be able to take things back apart
And remember...

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 08:13:30 PM »
Ok I'll go back through and check tension on all connectors. I'm still curious if the voltages at the reel assembly and readers I mentioned earlier are low or are they correct?

Offline ramegoom

• Reputation Power: 22
  • ramegoom New User barely matters.ramegoom New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • Caspers Electronics, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 08:21:47 PM »
Those Molex connectors are notorious for gaining resistance on low spring pressure contact problems. If there is even a possibility of them losing spring tension, replace them.

All pins and terminals are tin plated brass. If the tin plating is gone or corroded, cleaning them won't really help as tin on brass causes electrolysis and will lead to fast oxidation.  Terminals MUST have tin on tin to function properly. I work in the automotive industry and specifically, terminals, connectors and wiring. Number one rule is, dissimilar metals cause electrolytic oxidation and must be avoided at all costs.

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2015, 09:40:10 PM »
You can be like a dog chasing its tail going round and round unless you start eliminating problem causing areas. I've worked on these for years and most of the problems I've found were with connections. I guess it could be possible that the 5v regulator on your power supply is bad or going bad, or It could just be with that power supply plug too. I hate doing a new set of connectors on the power supply plug, simply because there no room to work. I've actually removed the reel shelve to make more room before, just to make the job easier.
One other thought.. Have you checked the condition of the fuse holders? I've had problems with them too. Tops not tight, bent and tarnished connections inside too..
And remember...

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:50 AM »
If you are installing a new power supply , I wouldn't recommend using the old connector. This is hardest working board in the machine due to the heat . Get a new connector from NLG vendor here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bally-Slot-Machine-E-Series-POWER-SUPPLY-CONNECTION-/350252825206?hash=item518cb1fa76

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »
Problem solved! I replaced the power supply with one of the snazzy new ones and now everything works great. I can only conclude that the original power supply was producing voltages that were right on the fence line of being enough for the machine to work correctly. That's probably why it would work great sometimes and tilt at others because the voltage was bouncing back and forth over the line of minimum power needed to work. Many thanks to you all for you're input, because of your suggestions I now have a perfect machine that I hope to enjoy for years to come.. Now, back to that troublesome jennings j400 sitting in the corner.....

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
.....Problem solved! I replaced the power supply with one of the snazzy new ones and now everything works great. I can only conclude that the original power supply was producing voltages that were right on the fence line of being enough for the machine to work correctly. That's probably why it would work great sometimes and tilt at others because the voltage was bouncing back and forth over the line of minimum power needed to work......

Or that the power supply voltages were ok but they had excessive "ripple" (ac noise) on them from bad filter capacitors in the power supply.

Glad to hear you got it running, I know it is a relief to get it going.   :cool_thumb_up:

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »
Glad to hear its running. The power supply's are the #1 problem in these machines. Sounds like the large cap was going bad on your old power supply.
And remember...

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2015, 06:58:20 PM »
Thought you might like to see the machine

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2015, 07:42:36 PM »
Shiny and clean looking, appearance is extra nice.   :cool_thumb_up:

About how much are those new snazzy power supplies you installed?

Offline mr-monoxide

• NLG
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2015, 08:33:45 PM »
Shiny and clean looking, appearance is extra nice.   :cool_thumb_up:

Thanks, apparently it was well taken care of over the years. I don't know much about it's history other than it's dated 1984, it was originally from the Frontier Hotel and it's numbered as machine 0437. It even still had the Frontier Hotel security seals on the plastic mpu cover so I'm assuming it was completely original when I got it.

About how much are those new snazzy power supplies you installed?

$59.00 + free shipping on ebay. Thanks to Mr Spina!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:09:45 PM by mr-monoxide »

Offline Amechanic

• NLG
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
Those are great new power supply's. I was involved in the BETA Testing if them. I ran a prototype here for about 4-6 months before they were offered for sale. I have used them since too. Better quality then the original..
And remember...

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal