New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help with Game King  (Read 13127 times)

Offline igt66

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • igt66 New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Help with Game King
« on: March 19, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
I am a first time Slot machine owner so please be gentle. My background has been repairing pinball machines but I have always wanted to own a slot machine.
The machine is an IGT Game King 13" upright model # 96407800
When the machine powers on, the monitor turns on but it is just garbled looking confetti. (See Attachment)
No buttons work and the bill acceptor does not work.
If I remove the MPU board, the monitor is dark but I can hear the bill acceptor turning.
The MPU board is a 75703802 Rev. B
I have tried reseating the MPU board and also reseating all of the socketed IC chips.

From reading some of the older posts it looks like I can upgrade to a 3902 board.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 11:41:15 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
Re: Help with Game King
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:00:37 AM »
Your MPU is not booting.  It could be the game software, the MPU itself, or the power supply.  What is the history of the machine?  Did you buy it this way or did it work and then quit one day?  If you bought it that way double check all the EPROMs and make sure that they are in the correct sockets, proper orientation, and that none of the pins are bent.  Make sure the MPU/SENET/and VIDEO PLCC chips are seated in their sockets too.  If all that looks good then check the power supply outputs.  You should have +13 and +25 VDC outputs.  You can check them at J11 on the motherboard.  I've attached a photo and schematic for reference.

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
 check the onboard battery
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline igt66

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:51:49 AM »
Your MPU is not booting.  It could be the game software, the MPU itself, or the power supply.  What is the history of the machine?  Did you buy it this way or did it work and then quit one day?  If you bought it that way double check all the EPROMs and make sure that they are in the correct sockets, proper orientation, and that none of the pins are bent.  Make sure the MPU/SENET/and VIDEO PLCC chips are seated in their sockets too.  If all that looks good then check the power supply outputs.  You should have +13 and +25 VDC outputs.  You can check them at J11 on the motherboard.  I've attached a photo and schematic for reference.

I purchased the machine this way. The previous owner stated it worked for about a year and a half and then it just started having the issue. He said he did not move it or make any changes.
I reseated the EPROMS and one of them looks like it has a burn mark on the top of the chip.
I will check MPU/SENET and Video Chips to make sure they are seated.
I will also check the voltages on J11.

Thanks much for the help!

Offline igt66

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:53:18 AM »
check the onboard battery

I will check the onboard battery.
What voltage level should I be seeing on the battery?

Thanks for your help!

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:56:07 AM »
as Proten mentioned, if the mpu board has a battery you always need to check for battery leakage on a machine that is new to you. A leaking battery could explain why the previous owner said it worked for a while then started acting up. Battery leakage can be easy to see or it can be small and hidden under connectors, ic's and other parts. The battery voltage is usually written on them, often it is about 3.6v when new. Look for any chalky powdery residue around the board near the battery ends.

Can you post a picture of the mpu board, especially showing the battery area?
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline SlotMachine4You

• Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • SlotMachine4You New User barely matters.SlotMachine4You New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • SlotMachine4You
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
In my experience with the 3902's, I have gotten that screen a few times and it was always the monitor. When I replaced the monitor with a known good one, it would work fine. It appears the monitor is getting a signal else you would get a no video input message.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Offline igt66

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
Update:
I checked the battery and it measures 2.706 VDC. It is a BR2330 battery and I have included a picture.
I checked the voltages at J11:
Pin3 11.91 Vdc
Pin4 22.88 Vdc
Pin8 11.89 Vdc
Pin9 22.7 Vdc
I have tried reseating all chips but does not seem to help.
I have also included a picture of CG2 2 of 4 which looks like it has a black gash mark on top of the chip
Thanks everyone for your help!

Offline SlotMachine4You

• Supporting Vendors
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • SlotMachine4You New User barely matters.SlotMachine4You New User barely matters.
  • NLG
    • SlotMachine4You
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »
Looks to me like someone dropped a bead of solder on it.  Hard to say whether that would have damaged the chip. I can't tell How deep the burn is.

Mike

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 08:05:07 PM »
The BR2330 battery is a 3v battery, it doesn't look like there is any battery leakage as far as can be seen in the photo. The 2.7v reading is getting low, don't know that it would cause your problem though, it would usually just affects things they want to preserve like operational settings. You can replace the battery fairly easily.  Due to SlotMachine4You's experience and earlier comment I'd suggest swapping monitors next, if you have one or can borrow one, just to prove for sure if it is the monitor. Otherwise you could be concentrating on the mpu board and wasting your efforts.

On the chip with the black area in the center, you need to examine it closely to see if it is just minor damage to the paper label, or if the chip itself is damaged. You can scratch or poke around the black area with something like a straight pin or knife tip, the chip body should be smooth, no craters or burned portion. It could just be minor damage to the label, but since that black area is right in the middle of the chip it reminds me of what happens when an ic is installed backwards and powered up, or if it is over-voltaged somehow. They sometimes burn right in the middle like that. You can remove that label from the chip so you can examine things better. If you will heat the label with a hair blow dryer it will come off easier, maybe in one piece and you can reuse it if you want. Don't throw the label away, in case you need to get a replacement chip it might come in handy.

here's a picture of an example chip with a burned area and I lightened your photo of your chip with the dark area so I could see it a little better:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 09:18:12 PM by rokgpsman »
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 156
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
Wait! A battery of 2.8v or less will give wacky errors...replace the battery (it's cheap enough), and then proceed...eliminate the EASY stuff.
Email: Sales@CentralValleySlots.com

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 08:50:14 PM »
Your 25VDC output is too low and that is most likely why your MPU is not booting and you're seeing the gray pixelated screen.  You can try changing the battery, it is low and will need to be replaced anyhow, but I doubt that it will fix your problem.  When the main battery gets low you you will get an error message on the screen saying that it is low.  The MPU has to be able to boot first though to tell you that.  I haven't seen a bad monitor that cause the display that you have, but I've seen a few power supplies and improperly installed software eproms cause it. 

Power supplies for these older 13" Game Kings can be difficult to find.  IGT made a couple of different models that were wired differently to make it even more challenging.  You may be able to use a S2000/I-game power supply in it if you have a later model cabinet, they are readily available, but you will not be able to mount it like the original.  If you have an older cabinet you will have to find a power supply with the same part number as the one you have installed.  If you can post a couple of pictures of the power supply where the connector plugs in at the top then I may be able to tell if a S2000/I-game supply will work or not.  Also a picture of the inside of the door may help.

Offline igt66

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 09:10:42 PM »
I have included a picture of the inside door and power supply.
The IGT part number for the power supply is 40009090 if that helps
Thanks Again for the help!

Offline igt66

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
Here is a picture of the chip with the label removed. Seems to look ok.
I have also included a picture of main board.
Where can I purchase a replacement battery?
I do not have access to another 13" monitor to try.
Thanks Again.

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!CVslots Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 09:14:37 PM »
http://www.centralvalleyslots.com/slot-machine-battery--36v-lithium-for-bally-and-i36.html

But you need to know how to solder to install it. I have some coin batteries as well, which I am sure is what your replacing, but it really doesn't matter, 3.6v is 3.6v...

Offline igt66

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 09:19:45 PM »
It has 3V stamped on the battery so is 3.6V okay?

Offline CVslots

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
    • Central Valley Slots
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 10:19:51 PM »
YES, that is fine. The board will only draw 3v if that's all the need.

Offline KirkLasVegas

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • KirkLasVegas New User has no influence.
  • Yoda dog!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »
Change the battery! anything below 3.0 and it does stupid things. Confetti in the display is corrupt RAM contents.
KEY-40 it and select YES to all three choices.This will wipe everything clean and install the default games.
The 12 volt and 24 volt readings are a tad low, but it should still run.
That is a 3802 Rev B board, make sure the keyswitch is unplugged.
You have 0351 chips in it, it should have a M0000526 Base and GME-1777 paytables.
The battery is not critical, remove the board from the shelf,unsolder the tabs for the battery and either put a coin battery holder in it, a 3.0-3.6 volt battery with wires or tabs or even a 2 "AA" battery holder in it to get it going.Do not use a rechargeable. If there is a 3.6 volt GREEN "VARTA" battery with 3 leads holding it in..remove and discard it. Do not replace that battery.

Kirk

Offline igt66

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 09:06:04 AM »
I have ordered a replacement battery and i am comfortable with soldering so it should be no problem.
One really dumb question is how do I remove the PCB form the slide in tray?
I have removed the 3 screws but it is still connected to the metal standoffs.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2015, 09:09:07 AM »
You can use a S2000/I-game power supply with your machine, but you will have to make some modifications for it to mount in place. You may be able to just swap out the mounting plate.  I took the cover off of my original one and put the circuit board/heatsink from a S2000 power supply in it.  It's not a perfect fit, but I was able to get a couple of screws in it and mount it back in place OK. 

I forgot to mention your +13VDC is low too. Your +13VDC and +25VDC are close to 10% low, enough to cause the problem you're seeing.  If the battery doesn't help, I'll bet Roz (CVslots) has a power supply available.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal