New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Help needed with the Coin-in Jam error  (Read 8012 times)

Offline nascarfan

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • nascarfan New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Help needed with the Coin-in Jam error
« on: November 22, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »
I've read all I can find on this subject and don't know which way to go. cleaned all connectors on I/O boards. What would you do. Which I/O board is which? Chip on CPU?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:54:32 AM by Ron (r273) »

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 447
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: Help needed with the Coin-in Jam error
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »
The smaller I/O card handles the meters and the coin in.  I would try replacing that one.  See attached photo.

If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline nascarfan

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »
Thanks, I got one on the way. Bought a spare 3902 board also.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 387
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »
If the IO card doesn't fix it, U74 on the MPU board is probably bad.  Sometimes it will show physical signs of damage.   Check and see if it looks burnt or cracked.  Plugging a MPU board with the power on will sometimes take it out. 

Offline nascarfan

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:18:41 AM »
Thanks, I saw that in another post. That's kinda why I bought a spare CPU. If I get both CPU's working can I swap out for different games?

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »
There's a mod you need to make in order to be able to swap out games by just switching mpu's.  The MPU and the backplane marry each other after a clear, so if you put a new backplane, it will error out and will require a clear, unless you do the mod required.  It involves soldering a surface mount chip and few other components, so it is not an easy mod if you are not handy soldering surface mount components.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
If you don't have the tools/skills to solder an EEPROM to the MPU board or prefer to not to modify it you can buy a couple of extra 24C16 serial EEPROMs for the motherboard and swap it along with your MPU board.   If you go that route it's easier to swap the EEPROM if you put it in a socket first.  So you'll have the EEPROM in a socket plugged into the socket on the motherboard.  That makes it easier to to remove and install it using just your fingers. 

Offline nascarfan

• NLG
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 05:02:12 PM »
Thanks,  have the tools and skills if I go that way. I have a chip burner and spare chips too if needed. I think i would like to get some other game to swap to. What are some of the better ones for this unit. Tobasco?

On another note, I sure would like to get my bill changer thing to accept newer $100's. I have a Bally that needs it too.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »
Tabasco is up there on my list of favorites.  I also like Kingpin, Uncle Sam, & Nurse Follies is pretty funny too. 

Your BV can probably be updated for the new $100 bill, but it depends on what type of BV you have. If it's a WBA 12 or 13 you can.  12s have to be flashed with a special device, 13's have an EPROM that can be changed out.  Bally & IGT use different protocols so you have to install the correct one or it will not work.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:54:28 PM »

On another note, I sure would like to get my bill changer thing to accept newer $100's. I have a Bally that needs it too.

What type of validators do you have?  as Tilt stated, you just need a software change.  The easiest ones to do are the eprom based ones. All others you will need either specialized hardware, software or both.

Offline cowboygames

• If I'm Not Here, Check The Golf Course
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 204
  • cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!cowboygames Is an-NLG GOD!
  • You Can't Find a Better Friend Than a Dog
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:34 PM »
What is the current best software version for the WBA 12/13? I believe it's also the last one that they will offer as they discontinued supporting those

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »
According to JCM's website for a WBA12/13 IGT ID024 it is 3.83-40 which added some improved counterfeit detection.  3.80-34 or above is needed for the new $100.  Bally ID003 is 3.83-42 and 3.80-32 respectively.

Offline ukulele

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • ukulele New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »
I just had the same thing happen to me with the Coin-in error. The key chip was used and I cleared everything. I then reset the settings to what I want and the error was cleared.

Regards,

Philip

Offline nascarfan

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 04:30:49 PM »
Did you have all the error's I had are just the coin-in?

Offline ukulele

• Contributing NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • ukulele New User has no influence.
  • NLG
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »
No. I didn't have the meter disconnect error.  If you have a key 28 then I would just clear everything and then go through the menus. It's not hard and usually takes care of many issues.

Regards,

Philip

Offline nascarfan

• NLG
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »
Well. I got a new I/O board......no joy.  Used (tested good) MPU and changed all sound, game and base software and still same issue. I haven't got to the key chip yet as I have lost it. I still have the bin file to burn a new 17 when I get some new 27C4002's in. Might need to upgrade to key 22, not sure. I sure wish I had that file too.  All wires have been pulled and connectors cleaned. I did notice when I did a cabinet check on screen that the meter & coin-in digits were flickering from 1 to 0 rapidly.

Update. cabinet check of I/O with new board in show NO flickering of the 1's and 0's on the meter and coin-in so maybe a key clear will do it.
My WBA12 software is ver. 3.75

I have a Bally 6000 that needs updated too. Both are eeprom based which I could burn if I had the files. Bally is a WBA-13-SS
I would be in your debt for any help.

Offline nascarfan

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »
Replaced I/O boards with 3 spares
Replaced the Video board with tested good
Replaced power supply
Did the coin-in jumper bypass
Pulled the wires, cleaned the pins, inspected the motherboard removed
Did the Key 40 reset
I've about throw all the money at this bitch I'm going to. I'm out of ideas.
Nothing I have done has changed anything. I open for any suggestions.

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 10:15:11 PM »
Bring us up to speed here.  Do you still have the original Coin in Jam and Meters Disconnected error message?  In your other thread you said u74 had a bubble on it and another was broken in half.  What was done to resolve that?  From the sounds of it you have two bad MPU boards.

Offline nascarfan

• NLG
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 02:48:17 AM »
Original had a bubble. Replaced U74 with new chip
Spare 3902 was order from eBay and had a cracked chip when received not repaired yet.
Replacement 3902 from above seems fine as for the U74 chip.
My "pending tilts are unchanged which are "coin-in jam & meter disconnected.
I have not replaced the coin electronics but did do the pin 9 & 10 cut and tied together on the meters harness, info from one of your post to someone else I found while searching old info & I have read EVERY post on new and old sites with anything to do with a related error.
Don't know it correct or not but no door buttons will indicate when in the test I/O menu with these errors.

I do have 9 more spare U74 but they are no fun to change. Plan on fixing third board.

I have 3 I/O boards (small connectors), 3 3902 boards, 2 power supplies

Offline Tilt

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »
OK.  Has the machine ever worked before the Coin-in Jam and Meter disconnected errors appeared?  When did the error first occur?

The errors indicate problems with the serial network (SENET) which handles the switches and switch lights, coin handling, meters, candle, and a few other circuits.  That's why you don't see anything changing in the test menu.  Your problem can be caused by several things, including cabling, IO boards, motherboard, or MPU.  One bad thing could also be damaging another, for instance a bad IO card may also be damaging the MPU board.  I'm assuming you don't have another machine that you can test things in?

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal