New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Hot Peppers Completely Dead / Comparator Clips  (Read 2562 times)

Offline 76Brougham

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • 76Brougham New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Hot Peppers Completely Dead / Comparator Clips
« on: August 26, 2018, 01:00:45 PM »
Greetings,

Recently, after replacing the battery on the mother board, a nice person here helped me with using the reset button behind the power switch and the master key in getting the error code cleared and machine operating again. A few weeks later it just quit. Pressing/holding the reset button does nothing. Turning the reset key does nothing. Play arm locked. No lights or displays except the three florescent bulbs behind the glass. I did check the three fuses to the right of the coin hopper.

While making sure everything was seated, mother board, coin hopper, etc. I did notice the comparator wasn't seated. Looking closer I could see the clips were broken.

So, number one, is there someplace I can purchase the clips that hold the comparator? Then, could that be why the machine is apparently dead?

Thanks, again.

Offline Amechanic

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 306
  • Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!Amechanic Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Hot Peppers Completely Dead / Comparator Clips
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 02:39:09 PM »
I would start by checking to make sure you got your MPU board seated all the way down on the connectors on the mother board. As for you comparitor clips you could post a WTB ad here for them or try contacting any of the venders located on the home page. I have seen them for sale on EBay too.
Please remember to make a donation to NLG for mine/our help in repairing your machines problem.. Your donations help keep this site on line.
And remember...
If it's jammed, force it.. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyways...

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 02:45:03 PM »
I did try re-seating the board and feel it is inserted correctly. I appears to fit snugly all the way around. The unit worked for a a couple weeks after replacing the battery.

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »
Apologies for being ignorant . . . found the WTB/WTS sections but I don't see how to post. The "new topic" button doesn't appear for me. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Paul

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...Paul Might someday be someone...
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 03:30:29 PM »
Unfortunately that option is only available for contributing members.
A one time donation of $20 will unlock that option and give you access
to the archives of slot repair manuals and other data.
1st rule of electronic repair.
"Thou shall check voltages"
⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 03:33:23 PM »
To post an item for sale in the Classified Ads area you need to be a contributing member. However, if you want to post a WTB (Want To Buy) request you can post it here and someone will move it for you to the Classified Ads area, no charge.

Nearly all of the NLG website is free to use but for access to the download area and the ability to post an item for sale in the Classified Ads area requires that you become a contributing member. The contributions help to keep the website online and are appreciated. Making a contribution will also gain you unlimited private messages that can be stored, otherwise it is limited to 10 and you have to delete some to receive more.

Here's the information about NLG user levels:
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=45.msg308#msg308
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
$20 sent. Small price to pay for the help.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »
Thank you for supporting the NLG website.  :cool_thumb_up:

Your WTB request for coin comparitor clips has been moved to the Classified Ads area. Hopefully someone with those parts will contact you.
http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=21195.msg112444#msg112444

Discussion regarding your other questions can continue here in this thread. Thank you!

If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 03:48:23 PM »
Thank you.

If the comparator isn't seated properly would that cause the slot to appear "dead" as noted at the beginning of this string?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 03:51:59 PM »
.....If the comparator isn't seated properly would that cause the slot to appear "dead" as noted at the beginning of this string?

I don't think so. The clips just hold the comparitor in place so that the inserted coin drops in properly at the top and then drops thru the coin optic boards below. The wiring harness that attaches to the side of the comparitor has a ground wire. I'm not expert on S+, so let's hear what others say.

Did the coin comparitor work ok at one time? If so it is probably still ok.

Your problem description sounds like a power supply problem. Maybe the power supply connector on the motherboard is acting intermittent. This is a known issue on S+. Examine the power supply white connector that connects to the motherboard. Wiggle it while the machine is powered on, see if the reels or other stuff starts working. Look for darkened or burned places on the white connector.

Post a photo of your motherboard, we may be able to see something that could be causing the problem.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:11:45 PM by rokgpsman »

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »
If I unplug or plug it back in there is a very momentary audio click and the wheels barely tick. Jiggling doesn't do anything. So now what? Replace the plug?

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »
And yes, the comparator was working after I replaced the battery.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 04:05:34 PM »
Don't replace the motherboard power supply connector just yet. It may be ok. With the machine power on if you try to move the reels by hand (gently) do they have a stiffness to being rotated? If so that means they are getting power.

Can you post a photo of the motherboard connector? It is hard to give advice without seeing what you have there.

Are all 3 fuses still good, and do all the fuse caps fit snugly?

Any chance your machine has been underwater sometime in the past? If so that can really mess up connectors.

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 04:17:24 PM »
The machine has been sitting where it is for several years. No water. The connector has a brown spot on the back as in your picture. Wheels were loose. So I pulled up on the connector until the wheels firmed up. Closed the door. Bingo. Thank you. So, should I replace the connector?

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 04:18:36 PM »
The machine has been sitting where it is for several years. No water. The connector has a brown spot on the back as in your picture. Wheels were loose. So I pulled up on the connector until the wheels firmed up. Closed the door. Bingo. Thank you. So, should I replace the connector?

Definitely. Or you can just replace the electrical contacts inside the white Molex housing.  Good job!

I think there are folks here that sell that power supply harness if you want to just replace the whole thing.

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »
Also may need to clean the motherboard male pins that mate with this white connector. The corresponding pin may have a bad place on it.

Offline 76Brougham

• NLG
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 04:25:48 PM »
That's easier said than done! LOL. I don't have the right tools. I remember replacing a similar pin on a Magnavox turntable that had come unsoldered. I think I used a toothpick and something like an ice pick to get it out. That was on my counter top. I'm not so sure that would be do easy with my head in the slot machine. LOL

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
If you pull the mpu board out of the machine like you did when you replaced the battery you can then remove the motherboard. With it out of the machine you can more easily clean any male pin that has a burned place. Can use a soft eraser or maybe some light sand paper that is folded.

Once those pins & sockets (male & female contacts) get a bad spot it can happen again. A lot of amps goes thru them. The surface of the electrical contacts gets overheated because the connection isn't tight or gets corroded. Once the point of contact gets in that condition it just keeps getting warmer and warmer. And that reduces the electricity that gets thru the connection so your machine isn't getting the power it needs.

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2018, 05:22:27 PM »
Your old pins in that plug only contacted 1 side of the contact. Getting a new plug will have 3 sides making contact. Much better. Most people sell them for around $15.
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2018, 05:25:11 PM »
.....That's easier said than done!.... I'm not so sure that would be do easy with my head in the slot machine. LOL

You might be able to get a volunteer to help!   :garfield:

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal