New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: WMS bb1 5 reel stepper slot  (Read 1461 times)

Offline AJ

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • AJ New User has no influence.
  • NLG
WMS bb1 5 reel stepper slot
« on: March 14, 2021, 03:32:37 PM »
I just acquired a 5 reel BB1 stepper slot.  When i first plugged it in and turned it on. the reels started to move like normal but then they locked up and made an awful noise.  I got no display on the screen either.  I had a spare MPU so i swapped that out and got the same results.  no output to the screen and the reels wouldn't move.  Now the only thing that works in the machine is the cabinet light when the door is open.   Im leaning towards it needing a new power supply but wanted to see if anyone else has come across a similar situation.  Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

AJ

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 446
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
Re: WMS bb1 5 reel stepper slot
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 05:11:56 PM »
The bluebird cabinet's backplane have a set of LEDS on the top right side of it with voltage labels.  There are 4 I believe (maybe 5) that should be lit up.  Each led has the voltage labeled on it so you can tell if the game is getting the corresponding voltages.  Look at the leds, if any of them are missing, you have a power supply issue.  On BB1's there are 2 power supplies.  One does the 24volts (big box under the speaker amplifier), and the ATX style power supply that dos 5,12, and 3.3.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline AJ

• NLG
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 05:15:37 PM »
They were all lit up when i initially plugged the machine in however they are all off now and the power switch does nothing. The way the machine was acting even when the led's were lit made me believe that there was a lack of power.  I have a known working bb1 that i converted from stepper to video.  i might swap the power supply out just to see if it makes a difference. 

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!rickhunter Is an-NLG GOD!
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 07:18:41 PM »
Check the fuse.  There's an AC distribution box, which is where the mains first comes into the cabinet.  There's a fuse right under the power cord.
If you find the site helpful, consider becoming a contributing member.  It pays for costs and keeps this site alive.  I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Offline AJ

• NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 07:27:22 PM »
i checked the fuse it was good.  The work light comes on when the door is opened so i know its getting some power but i don't think its sending out the lower voltages anymore.  (the work light goes out when the fuse is removed as well) When i did have some sort of action from the power switch before it went completely dead the MPU never even made it to a post screen and i also tried a known good MPU after that and still didn't get a post.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 08:22:31 PM »
Time to start trying out power supplies then.

Offline AJ

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2021, 10:15:50 PM »
so today i tore apart the BB1. First i tried a new power supply however that didn't change anything.  The power switch basically does nothing however if i flick it on and off a bunch of times. i can occasionally get lights in the glass and the 24v LED on the backplane lights up.   I disconnected almost everything from the backplane and still never managed to get more than 24 volts but only occasionally.... I had a brand new spare backplane and i connected that up to see if i got anywhere and still had the same issues.  I'm not too sure where to go from here.  Could it be a bad power switch?  Or maybe the box below the backplain that the power supply connects to for 120v power?  i'm at a loss on this one so far.

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2021, 11:31:51 PM »
The box below just distributes AC mains 120v.  You can use a multitester to read the cables going into the power supplies to make sure you are getting 120 volts into both power supplies.

Offline AJ

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2021, 07:36:20 PM »
After pulling my hair out i decided to take the new power supply i received and popped it in my working bb1.  Apparently i received it DOA so back to trying to find a new power supply.  I wish i did that before i tore the whole cabinet down!

Offline AJ

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 04:28:03 PM »
So it turns out both power supplies were bad. Ive now been able to get the machine up but not quite running. It has an ithica950 printer.  I set it to netplex but in getting a printer error i get paper with question marks and a weird symbol on it. Im also getting a bill validator comm error. Its a wba 13 im used to mars so it could be something im doing wrong.  The final problem i cant figure out is it says the drop door is open?   In assuming that has something to do with a hopper i dont have

Offline rickhunter

• Sr NLG Member
  • I Void Warranties.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »
The bill validator error is because the backplane's bill acceptor's jumpers are set to rs-232, you need to set them to ttl.  look for a thread in the wms video section that has the bill validator com error issue, you will see photos of what the jumpers should be set to on the backplane.

The drop door is a jumper that needs to go on a connector.  It is a dual row white molex plug with 6 pins on it, that should be laying down with a bunch of wire on the bottom of the cabinet. See below.

http://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=29576.msg155786#msg155786

The ithaca's are a pain in the butt in my experience.  I always switch them out for Future logic Gen2's.  I always trash the ithaca's so I can't help you regarding what firmware it should have etc as I don't have any.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal