New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Bill Validator Check Up  (Read 3138 times)

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: Bill Validator Check Up
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2023, 10:32:28 AM »
Yes dip #4 turned ON on the MPU can cause the BV to do strange things, like turn it into a change machine. (low hopper limit will reject bill. A low credit limit can do the same)

Why do you have a split pay setup?  That could be part of the problem?

Offline 850mph

• Duke of NY - “A” number “1”
  • New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • 850mph New User has no influence.
  • You know I’m Born to Lose & Gamblin’s for Fools!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2023, 10:46:16 AM »
I just figured making the maximum hopper higher than the partial payout was THE conservative option— as we would never hit/expect maximum from hopper…. Is that wrong?

I’m not trying to be tricky or custom build the prefs or anything— I’m just trying to get the thing to work… as simply as possible…. Before I move on to a second machine with no Display LEDs.

Im a COMPLETE Newbie to the Slot World, after 30 years of pinball machines…

Maybe you could suggest Maximum Hopper and Partial Pay numbers and I’ll reset.

At least at that point I’ll KNOW it’s a Bill Validator “thing.”

THANKS.

Offline sixcardmark

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 240
  • sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!sixcardmark Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2023, 11:10:13 AM »
SP731?  Hopper limit and credit limit setting is the same.  Set to 9999 and partial to 0000 for now to make sure it's not a limit thing.

Offline Jim

• 1-513-984-2201
  • Supporting Vendors
  • Reputation Power: 301
  • Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!Jim Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2023, 06:06:49 PM »
get the wba flip cards in the file section, go to page 12 and read what it tells you to do, plain and simple.

it either works or it doesn't,

Jim

Signature:
MIDWEST SLOTS   Selling Quality Slot Machines since 1995.  We service and repair all types of slot machines. Mills, Jennings, Bally EM, 1000/2000 series, Proslot, 6000. IGT  M, M+ ,S,  S+, S-2000,  I-Game,  Universal,  Video Poker, Sigma, Bally Alpha's , Williams-550, DOTS, BBU I don't have a WEB SITE, HOWEVER, I have hundreds of parts and reel strips and glass. If you need something, call or send me a pm. 

Offline 850mph

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2023, 04:32:12 AM »
I have the Flip-Cards:

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=18866.0

I have the JCM manual for the WBA, referring to page A9:

https://get-t.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/203408130-Wba-Manual-Despiece.pdf

I have the JCM Quick Reference Guide for the WBA, referring to page 4:

https://manualzz.com/doc/25919478/jcm®-wba®-units-quick-reference-guide-rev.-5

And I have read dozens of forum posts relating to the Validator, but for conversation I’m referring to this post:

https://newlifegames.com/nlg/index.php?topic=31638.0

IMPORTANT

Now, I don’t want to belabor the point because EVERYONE on this forum is gracious, knowledgeable, has dozens of years experience, is SUPER friendly and generous with their time….

And I add these comments with the full knowledge I may be reading things wrong…

I’m also not trying to “stick it to anyone—“ (I couldn’t think of a better phrase) —

I AM trying to add to the general knowledge the forum provides because a COLD READ of all the Docs, Forum Posts and other related material, looking to answer what should be a simple question, may result in confusion… it did in my case.

Especially for newbies who TRY and read — and more importantly —UNDERSTAND everything before wasting long time member’s time with questions which are easily answered in past forum posts.

TO THE POINT

As far as I can tell there  *** IS *** a difference with the PROCEDURE presented in the Forum Posts, the procedure in the WBA Full Manual and the procedure in the WBA Quick Guide as to:

How to enter “Bill Acceptance Test Mode”
(And related  Performance, Diagnostic, Modes)
(However, NOT Calibration Mode)

The **END RESULTS** of the procedures (let’s just say, “correct order” of STEPS) outlined in the forum post and the Quick Guide are EQUIVALENT…. The full manual’s procedure as explained in “Acceptance Test,” not so much.)

But the STEPs are different and was/is confusing (perhaps detrimental) when comparing three “authoritative” sources.

PLEASE see post 11 above.

CORRECT order of actions to correspond to JCM, WBA Quick Guide:
Power Down > Flip DIP 8 ON> Power Unit > Flip diagnostic DIPs ON to correspond with test you need > Flip DIP 8 OFF

IMPORTANT

It’s a subtle, but I think important point because referring back to the WBA Full Manual or Quick Guide to do the more extensive tests (head sensor, transport sensor) requires flipping a sequence of TWO DIPs to initiate a test:

1) enter test mode— DIP 8
- flip diagnostic DIPs (which may include DIP 8 )
2) initiate the test— DIP 6 or 7

SUBTLE MAIN POINT

But it’s the step where we APPLY POWER which concerns me— either BEFORE or AFTER we set the diagnostic DIPs.

The Steps outlined in the forum thread have the result of powering up the validator in some UNKNOWN state because the DIP switched were applied BEFORE the power up.

I get it… by powering up with DIP 8 ON we enter a diagnostic mode…. So maybe the othe dips are not recognized until we flip the “initiation” DiP….

That confuses me… perhaps not the old timers.

I’m sure no one wants to get into a long discussion of why the CORRECT ORDER of doing things is important, especially with a newbie,  (and probably more importantly because the outcome of this test is the same either way) but when you are dealing with PC Boards, and power supplies…in my experience, you want to get it right… or you’ll blow more than a fuse.

There are a couple of other reasons it’s kinda nice to “think” about the diagnostic system as presented in the manual… but I’m sure very few would care… so I’ll skip it.

Maybe I think too much.. No I’m SURE I do…. But at least pointing this out may help someone else who is confused.

If anyone feels this post is inappropriate, or is giving the wrong info— Moderators, PLEASE take it down… I’m happy to be corrected, as I realize I’m visiting at the feet of experts.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2023, 05:51:18 AM by 850mph »

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2023, 02:07:28 PM »
The flip cards you referenced in your post are S+ Diagnostic Cards.  The one Jim is referring to is JCM's WBA Flip cards.  I've attached the one he is referring to this post.  It's in the file section, but you have to be a contributing member in order to access that section (you may want to consider becoming one, it helps keeps the site up).  Follow the instructions on page 12.  If you notice is says it tests the head and transport only, so remove the cash can.  It also said to perform the test outside of the machine.  Since you don't have a test harness (and I don't either), just remove the MPU board from the machine.  This will prevent the machine from trying to communicate with the validator while it's in test mode and then essentially the only thing active and connected to the validator is the power.  Then follow the directions as printed.  I just verified them myself with my machine and they are correct. 

Let us know how that works out.

Offline 850mph

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2023, 04:33:59 AM »
THANKS for the verification.

I would guess any new tests will confirm my previous test….

Bill Acceptance Test Without Cash Box
Bezel shows:
Two blinks- pause - Two blinks - repeat
Magnetic Pattern Error

I am anxious to try the tests with the board out as you suggest.

Will report back.

Thank you for the follow up.

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal