New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: Flashing NetPlex is down after removing Varda  (Read 956 times)

Offline stlscott

• Contributing NLG Member
  • NLG Member 101 to 250 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • stlscott New User has no influence.
  • NLG
Flashing NetPlex is down after removing Varda
« on: January 26, 2024, 01:02:15 PM »
Hi guys, so that I don't hyjack another post, I'm posting this as a new (but similar) problem.  I hope that's ok and if not, I can delete this and add it to the other post thread.  I'm new here and don't want to break any rules. On with the show...

I have an S2000 Triple Lucky 7's.  It has the 1270 board with the music board/sim on top.  Everything I read says to get rid of the Varda so I went ahead and removed it.  There was no leakage (yet) but I didn't want to take any chances. So no damage at all from the Varda.  Before removing the Varda, everything worked fine and I never got the Flashing Netplex is down message with the flashing red light on the MPU.  Now, when I power it up, it sits there flashing this message with a red light flashing (at the same time it seems) on the MPU.  Nothing else changed except removing the Varda and controller chip.  Sometimes I can turn it off and back on and then it will boot, sometimes I can open-close teh door switch 4 or 6 times and then it will start booting, and sometimes no matter what I do, it won't boot.  Why would removing an unnecessary battery cause NetPlex and boot problems all of a sudden?  This was solid before I removed the battery.  This started as soon as I put the MPU back in the machine after removal.  No bent pins, pushed all the way, checked all other connectors.  I had my wife do the battery removal as she's an engineer and a Picasso with a soldering gun (we have a solder station with temp controlled tip).  She was very careful as she does board level repairs on medical equipment for her day job.  I have another PSU on order just in case but not sure why it would all of a sudden (and coincidentally) cause issues.
~ Having fun with in-home Slots since 2023 ~
Contributing Member since January 2024
~~Focused on S2000 Machines~~

Offline dailey

• NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
Re: Flashing NetPlex is down after removing Varda
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 01:08:36 PM »
With the enhanced 1270 board, when removing the Varta battery you must also remove the voltage regulator U16 chip.

Offline erbs

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.erbs Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2024, 05:40:06 PM »
Take a small wire cutter and clip the 3 legs on U16. Then fold back and break off. Don't try to desolder it.

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 08:10:15 PM »
I apologize, I forgot to mention that I removed the U16 chip as part of the battery removal.  So that is not the cause of the issue unfortunately.

Offline hotlsot

• Reputation Power: 63
  • hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!hotlsot Is a rising star!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 08:40:35 AM »
desoldering the U16 can be a board killer, much better to clip it. Most likely the board is damaged.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 409
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 10:01:58 AM »
Scott,
Take a real good, close-up photo of that U16 area.
If we could look at it good, we may be able to give you a better answer.
Otherwise, try to get ahold of NLG member Lookes, maybe he can try to make a board repair?
Tell him I sent ya! lol
Remember, the more you tell us - the better we can help you!

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 11:24:04 AM »
desoldering the U16 can be a board killer, much better to clip it. Most likely the board is damaged.

I might be inclined to agree if it never booted again after the removal.  However, with frequent power-off-power-on and door switch open-close (several UP and Downs), I can sometimes get it to boot.  WHen it boots, the red light goes off, everything cycles, and the machine comes online as normal.  Right now it's up and playing after fighting with it last night for about 15min-20min.  I left it on overnight to see if it would still be working this morning and it is still up.  However, if I power cycle it, I will have this continued issue again.  Once it boots it stays working until I power cycle it.... Does anyone have a good picture of what wires to test voltages with while the machine is on?  THere's lots of orange wires back by the motherboard.

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!Stayouttadabunker Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 12:31:11 PM »
The bottom right-most plug on the backplane.
Stick the red probe of your multimeter into the back of the housing to contact the power pins inside.
Black probe on any metal part of cabinet.
Look for 13vdc on red, 25vdc on orange.

I outlined the header on the backplane in yellow.
Click on drawing below to enlarge if needed...>>>

Consider becoming a regular contributing member, which helps pay costs to keep this site up and running so you can keep your machine up and running :)

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 03:23:48 PM »
Scott,
Take a real good, close-up photo of that U16 area.
If we could look at it good, we may be able to give you a better answer.
Otherwise, try to get ahold of NLG member Lookes, maybe he can try to make a board repair?
Tell him I sent ya! lol

Here's the good close-up photo as requested

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 03:28:09 PM »
And the plot thickens further... So to take the photo above, I had to remove the daughter-board (with Sound-SIM in it).  It was screwed to the MPU board with the 6 screws all secured.  Anyway, after the photo, I put it back together, obviously I re-seated this board and re-inserted the MPU assembly.  I had previously removed and re-inserted the whole MPU assembly over a dozen times troubleshooting this problem.  However, now - it seems this issue is "more" resolved but not completely.  9 out of 10 times, the game boots fine.  Every so often, especially after it's been sitting powered off for several hours, it will do show the same message and not boot, but if I lift and lower the door open switch 1 or 2 times, then machine immediately boots up.  What would the door switch be doing that would cause the machine to suddenly boot.  If I don't touch the door switch, it will sit there for hours when it's stuck in the non-boot mode (flashing red light, netplex is down).  Could this still be a funky PSU?  I've already pulled and blown it out, and re-inserted it before my last MPU (picture taking) attempt.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 04:23:00 PM »
Did you measure the PS output voltages?  If not, go ahead and do that and see what they are.

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 10:01:55 PM »
Did you measure the PS output voltages?  If not, go ahead and do that and see what they are.

Yes I did. 
13.1 on RED
24.7 on Orange

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 10:34:39 PM »
I pulled the lid off the PSU.  I included model info from the board (pics) as well as a pic of 3 potentiometers.  Would any of these adjust the 25v Voltage to increase and if so, which one?  I was trying to find schematics for this PSU in the Files section but couldn't find schematics.  I am a paying/contributing member so I have access, not sure where else to look other than the IGT S2000 area.

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 11:37:13 PM »
Also, most of the time it seems to boot, but sometimes, like when I re-installed the PSU, it flashed the NetPlex error until I raised the door switch up and down once.

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 08:18:08 AM »
I think the issue is related to the 5V system.  However, I don't know how to test this.  IN it's current state, if the machine has been powered off for a while, when I turn it on, it sits there flashing the "Netplex is down" message until I raise the door latch and then lower it, one time.  Then it boots up and all works fine. So something is a miss on the 5v system since the door latch uses that.  How do I test and better yet, resolve this?

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2024, 08:56:22 AM »
 :Tongue_Out:

Online Stayouttadabunker

• Sr NLG Member
  • NLG
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2024, 08:58:04 AM »
I think the issue is related to the 5V system.  However, I don't know how to test this.  IN it's current state, if the machine has been powered off for a while, when I turn it on, it sits there flashing the "Netplex is down" message until I raise the door latch and then lower it, one time.  Then it boots up and all works fine. So something is a miss on the 5v system since the door latch uses that.  How do I test and better yet, resolve this?

Try adjusting the door optics?

Offline stlscott

• NLG
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 10:19:31 PM »

I just wanted to provide an update on this old thread... since it is fully resolved now.  First thing I did that resolved it was to purchase another PSU and swap that in.  That seemed to resolve the whole boot/Netplex is down issue completely.  After leaving it alone for a week or two, to make sure the problem didn't come back, I considered it a PSU issue, although a strange one at that (pin-7 seems to be the cause). 

So then I ordered a cap-kit from one of the awesome guys from here (THANKS!!) and my wife did a cap job on the PSU.  Now it's fixed and the original PSU no longer has the boot issue/ netplex down issue.  Thanks for all of the suggestions and troubleshooting.  I will make sure I always have a known-good S2K PSU handy going forward.

Offline Sunrise Side

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 166
  • Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!Sunrise Side Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2024, 05:32:38 AM »
Can I ask who has cap kits to purchase? i have several PS that need recapped. Thanks! Tim  tkrozleski@hotmail.com

Offline dailey

• Reputation Power: 53
  • dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.dailey Is on the verge of being accepted.
  • NLG
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2024, 07:47:29 AM »
Keep in mind that the different power supplies for the S2000 are interchangeable but the boards are not identical. The capacitor kits are part number & Mfg specific.
(40009000, 40009090, 40009001, 40009003)

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal