New Life Games LLC
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

Welcome to the NewLifeGames.com message forum! 

NLG Site Navigation Menu

Archives of old posts can be found at...... Newlifegames.net/nlg/

Author Topic: "No Disp" IGT Triple Diamonds  (Read 5089 times)

Offline happyyumyumguy

• New NLG Member 3 to 100 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • happyyumyumguy New User has no influence.
  • NLG
"No Disp" IGT Triple Diamonds
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:18:57 PM »
Hello and thank you for reading.  I'm the type of person that looks for the answer in this wealth of information on this forum, however, when I use the "Search" tab, it redirects me back to the forum for IGT S2000.
The only work I have done on this machine was to replace the "BET" button due to the lettering wore off yet worked just fine with the old button in place.  Now when I start the machine up, it goes through it's warm up then flashes "no diSP" and the top white light flashes on the candle (see photo). Any thought what I should try first?  I do understand it's best to leave these machines alone, so I thought I'd ask the pros before I start rooting around inside.

Cheers,

Offline Shaggy

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 501 to 10,000 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!Shaggy Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
Re: "No Disp" IGT Triple Diamonds
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »
Sometimes with S2000 errors you can raise and lower the door latch a few times and it will clear the error. Welcome to NLG.
"All things being equal. The easiest explanation and the easiest answer is probably the right one".

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 386
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:18:49 PM »
It means that the MPU is unable to communicate with the VFD.  Check the cables that plug into the VFD controller to make sure you didn't dislodge one of them while you were working on the button.

Offline happyyumyumguy

• NLG
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »
I did try the latch several times but so far nothing improved.  I did however looked over the VFD and VFD driver Board and was able to find both on ebay for sale.  So I bought them thinking that, since I have owned this machine (2 years) the VFD has show missing pixels while displaying.  I don't know if that has anything to do with current "no diSP".  On further inspection, I noticed the wire ribbon that runs between the VFD and VFD driver board had been kinked (see photo) and perhaps this too has something to do with my problem.
Thanks again for the great help and steering me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Gregg

Offline RB

• Sr NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 351
  • RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!RB Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
Before you start buying parts, check & reseat your I/O cards & check the harness connections especially the one on the door panel since you were in there changing out the button.
Quality doesn't cost. It pays.

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
  • Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!Tilt Is an-NLG GOD!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »
The VFD is a Netplex device, it doesn't go through the I/O cards.

Does the display pass the power-up self test, or is blank the entire time?

Offline happyyumyumguy

• NLG
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:26:04 PM »
The VFD display is blank at and through start-up.  I didn't mind buying the used parts, heck pretty cheap actually, and like I said earlier, the display was not perfect, with a few of the pixels were not lighting. The wire ribbon was kinked by the piano hinge.  I'll be checking the pins for any shorts.

Offline Buzz

• In Remembrance of our lost NLG Members
  • NLG Member 251 to 500 Posts
  • Reputation Power: 76
  • Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.Buzz Has a powerful will.
  • NLG
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
Gregg    :NLG_WELCOME:

OK now the kink that was in the ribbon cable, put the kink back in it and when you reinstall it there is a slot cut in the back of the VFD display, stuff the ribbon up in that slot so it will not interfere with #1 reel basket.

Now we use to be able to tell someone to lift and lower the door latch to clear errors, but now days with folks bypassing the door optics you have to look and see which setup you have. Or just open the main door a couple of inches, close  and latch main door. Do this 3 or 4 times.

This no display error I've seen bill validators cause it. I'm not 100% sure on what I'm about to say but it's something I would try. Remove the BV and cash can from the machine, go through the clearing of a error we talked about above. If as your clearing errors the reels spin, you have found your problem, BV or cash can.
PUT BRAIN IN GEAR BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN MOTION

Offline Tilt

• Sr NLG Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 05:49:41 PM »
A faulty netplex device such as ticket printer or the bill validator as Buzz suggested could cause the MPU being unable to communicate with the Display controller.  Since your display doesn't even show that it has passed self test or that the Display's Netplex link is down I would bet that the controller is your problem.  Capacitor C3 is a common failure component on them that will result in a blank VFD display and No Disp in the LED display when it fails. 

Offline therockinelvis

• Capes are not just for Super Hero's
  • Topic Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 173
  • therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!therockinelvis Is an-NLG GOD!
  • NLG
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 04:52:16 PM »
I've seen this from a bent leg on a SG chip
Thank Ya Thank Ya Very Much.

the rockin elvis

Offline happyyumyumguy

• NLG
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 01:51:52 PM »
I'm pleased to announce the machine is back up and working.  I replaced the VFD and the VFD driver board and the new display has no missing pixels or whatever they are called.  I did keep the kinked wire ribbon, however if I still wasn't running yet, I would be looking for a replacement ribbon, but no need.  After rereading all the posts here I did go back and looked over the optics (functioning) in the door, visually looks close but a bit misaligned. Also I did triple check with magnifying glass and light, all the connections.

To be honest, I'm kinda scared to start working on the machine again, heck it's working now...just leave it. lol

I feel I got very lucky,  I'm a novice when it comes to components, resistors, motherboards and anything computer.  After opening the packages with the used VFD and driver board I didn't safeguard against static shock, probably used the wrong tools, etc.  Leave this to the professionals and not be monkeying around...lucky

Thanks again to all, I appreciate the help and information

Cheers,

Gregg

Offline rokgpsman

• Resigned NLG Member
  • Reputation Power: 278
  • rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!rokgpsman Is an-NLG GOD!
  • Just a curious observer...
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 04:45:23 PM »
---Repost of message above with normal size text---

I'm pleased to announce the machine is back up and working.  I replaced the VFD and the VFD driver board and the new display has no missing pixels or whatever they are called.  I did keep the kinked wire ribbon, however if I still wasn't running yet, I would be looking for a replacement ribbon, but no need.  After rereading all the posts here I did go back and looked over the optics (functioning) in the door, visually looks close but a bit misaligned. Also I did triple check with magnifying glass and light, all the connections.

To be honest, I'm kinda scared to start working on the machine again, heck it's working now...just leave it. lol

I feel I got very lucky,  I'm a novice when it comes to components, resistors, motherboards and anything computer.  After opening the packages with the used VFD and driver board I didn't safeguard against static shock, probably used the wrong tools, etc.  Leave this to the professionals and not be monkeying around...lucky

Thanks again to all, I appreciate the help and information

Cheers,

Gregg
If you've benefited from this website or been helped by the friendly NLG folks that volunteer their time please make a donation of any amount to help keep the website running. Thanks! Donate Here

Cell Phone and Pad Mode

imode wap wap2

NLG Archives

Archives @ newlifegames.net Wayback Machine

Contact Us

NLG Shop 928 754-4147 Email Us 1788 Highway 95 30 BHC City AZ 86442
If you find this site helpful, please consider becoming a Contributing NLG Member with a monthly subscription to help cover the cost of pizza, coffee, aspirin, hosting, and bandwidth.
Contributing Members: get unlimited personal messages, can save topics and replies as drafts,
can post to the Classified ads, get unlimited access to the downloads, and also get this minty badge:

**Subscription Link** (Click Here) **Subscription Link**

If you would rather remain anonymous Thank You or just want to help support the site, please use this "make a donation" button:

From your entire NLG staff, thank you for supporting NLG.

New Life Games LLC 1788 HIGHWAY 95 UNIT 30 BULLHEAD CITY AZ 86442

Newlifegames.com     Newlifegames.net     Newlifegames.org

Newlifegame.com     Newlifegame.net     Newlifegame.org    Newlifegames.us

New Life Games     NewLifeGames  NLG

We Bring new Life to old Games    1-888-NLG-SLOTS

Are all Copyright and Trademarks of New Life Games LLC 1992 - 2022

FAIR USE NOTICE:

This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner.
We make such material available in an effort to advance awareness and understanding of the issues involved.
We believe this constitutes a fair use of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.

For more information please visit: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml
If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use,
you must obtain permission directly from the copyright owner.

The NewLifeGames.com website is optimized for use with Firefox and a minimum screen resolution of 1600 x 900 pixels.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal